Security clearances
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:14:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Security clearances
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Security clearances  (Read 510 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »

Have any Atlasians ever had to get a security clearance or know the process well? One of my goals over the next few years is to try to get a job that will eventually put me on a path to getting one down the road sometime, and I'm curious if there's anything I can do now that will make the process easier. For example, should I try to avoid posting certain things on social media? Should I double-check to know which of my friends would be considered "foreign contacts"? etc.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »

I had secret clearance when I was an MP.
Nothing fantastic.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 12:57:15 PM »

Yes, familiar, and have one. Read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._security_clearance_terms

Fill out this https://www.gsa.gov/portal/forms/download/116390 (do it even if you don't need to submit it for practice, you will need it later)

Be truthful and don't hit the weed, pipe, other drugs, etc. Serving in the military is a plus and a guaranteed way to get a clearance for at least a Secret level. TS or TS/SCI is another story depending on your need to know, access.

Yes on your foreign friends question, the SF-86 will cover that and it's more critical for a TS process than a Secret but is still a key factor in clearance approval. The more foreign ties you have, the less likely you will be approved for a clearance but it is in no way a clear cut, yes or no thing.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »

https://clearedjobs.net/ for when you get around to applying after your clearance comes in. Most of these require you to already have it in either a veteran, govt, or contractor capacity.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »

Have any Atlasians ever had to get a security clearance or know the process well?
yes
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Like people without clearances, you shouldn't post sh**t on the internet you wouldn't want attached to you. People that think they are and always will be anonymous on the interent are dummies.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
They are either foreign contacts or they aren't.  Are they foreigners?  Yes?  then yes, they are foreign contacts and must be reported.  Yes, even if they are from a NATO country.

As for getting one, good luck.  If it's an important one (anything not just "Secret") it's very expensive and your job will set up the investigation and everything...the problem is you can't get that job unless you have a clearance.  I'm not sure, but I don't think you can just go out and get an SCI by asking and giving the feds $250k, yet there are tons of SCI jobs out there...so how do you get one?  The main way is enlisting, but that's hard and time consuming.  I suspect some people are REALLY special, but I don't know how that works.  My contract just switched over and I met a whole mess of people I didn't know, the question came up, how many of you 20 to 25 people are ex-military....one guy didn't raise his hand.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »

If you have skills in high demand, there are jobs in the defense industry that come with different levels of clearance and don't require military service. The key is having desired skills like engineering, math and science. The defense contractor will then provide for the screening necessary to get the appropriate clearance.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »

Have any Atlasians ever had to get a security clearance or know the process well? One of my goals over the next few years is to try to get a job that will eventually put me on a path to getting one down the road sometime, and I'm curious if there's anything I can do now that will make the process easier. For example, should I try to avoid posting certain things on social media? Should I double-check to know which of my friends would be considered "foreign contacts"? etc.

I had to get one to do a post-doctoral fellowship with the US department of energy.  Big hassle.  27-page application, fingerprints, palm prints, the whole nine yards.  My graduate research advisor told me that some guys in black suits came out to ask questions about me.  

I don't think anyone gives a flying fuck about what you write on Dave Leip's Atlas Forum, but I'm not the one in charge of those investigations so I may not know.

As for foreign contacts, that's very important.  I can tell you that if you walk in to tell your boss that you're about to marry a citizen of the People's Republic of China, you'll get an immediate hand in your face and the statement that "Don't say anything more to me.  I don't want to know about this.  If you wait till the day after you quit this job to get married both our lives will be much easier."  I decided to wait.

I remember very distinctly two questions on the application:  "Are you, or have you ever been, a homosexual?" and "Are you, or have you ever been, a communist?"  I was surprised that they were still asking such questions in the late 90s.  I asked about it and one of the senior scientists said that it had to do with vetting the candidate for ease of blackmailing.  I don't know whether they still ask such questions.

SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »

I had to get one to do a post-doctoral fellowship with the US department of energy.  Big hassle.  27-page application, fingerprints, palm prints, the whole nine yards.  My graduate research advisor told me that some guys in black suits came out to ask questions about me.  

I don't think anyone gives a flying fuck about what you write on Dave Leip's Atlas Forum, but I'm not the one in charge of those investigations so I may not know.

As for foreign contacts, that's very important.  I can tell you that if you walk in to tell your boss that you're about to marry a citizen of the People's Republic of China, you'll get an immediate hand in your face and the statement that "Don't say anything more to me.  I don't want to know about this.  If you wait till the day after you quit this job to get married both our lives will be much easier."  I decided to wait.

I remember very distinctly two questions on the application:  "Are you, or have you ever been, a homosexual?" and "Are you, or have you ever been, a communist?"  I was surprised that they were still asking such questions in the late 90s.  I asked about it and one of the senior scientists said that it had to do with vetting the candidate for ease of blackmailing.  I don't know whether they still ask such questions.

They will still ask him about his relationships (they don't care man or woman anymore just names, addresses and phone numbers, how long, etc.) and group/activist/other affiliations. @Crumpets, all of that is on the SF-86 I shared with you. Again, highly recommend you fill it out. It will answer any questions you have and fill you in on what you should or (more relevant) should not be doing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »

I can view the mod board.

I had secret clearance when I was an MP.
Nothing fantastic.

Damn, at first I thought MP stood for a Member of Parliament...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies