Will you fly United Airlines?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:21:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Will you fly United Airlines?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Never have and never will

Not anymore. Boycotting them

I'll boycott them until everyone forgets about this incident

Absolutely! I want to get punched in the face and drug off a plane!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Will you fly United Airlines?  (Read 1816 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »

There are always alternatives like...

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2017, 09:48:33 PM by Wolverine22 »

Screw United. So much for being the "friendly skies."
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »

I try not to fly anything but Alaska or Virgin.
Rjjr77
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »

Messed up part about this for me is I always fly United and always have been treated well
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 10:19:22 PM »

I don't feel that I'm in a life situation to choose airline flights on moral grounds.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »

I flew United in January, and they were extremely responsive in getting me booked without charge on an earlier flight when storms were expected to cause interruptions in SFO where I was booked to change planes. In fact they were willing to rebook without charge over 48 hours in advance.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 11:31:37 PM »

I don't feel that I'm in a life situation to choose airline flights on moral grounds.

Basically this, although I'll try to avoid them if it isn't a huge hardship for me. The other thing is, I'm convinced that this could have easily happened at any airline.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 12:42:24 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2017, 12:10:33 PM by L.D. Smith »

Yeah, I'm boycotting 'em. Been that way since my freshman year of college.

Been that way since they mishandled a "free check-in at the gate" carry-on bag of mine for two months. It was just like that Beavis and Butthead short with customer service. First, they gave me the wrong stubs, when I tried to inquire...then they sent it to Burlington, Vermont! (I cut over to Roanoke, Virginia just ftr)

The last time after that was the next year, when American booked me with them as the small leg in compensation for cancelled flight to Chicago thanks to a snowstorm.  Said flight ran hours late, and I was lucky the big leg to SFO was slated to be 7 hours later, I had one hour to spare.  This day was perfectly clear too btw.

So yeah, I don't need some kinda popular moral crusade, they've pissed me off enough with bad service.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 01:22:42 AM »

Basically this, although I'll try to avoid them if it isn't a huge hardship for me. The other thing is, I'm convinced that this could have easily happened at any airline.

Yeah, this. I probably won't ever fly with them anyway (I haven't so far), but it might happen if it's the cheapest option.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 01:42:13 AM »

I will use them now. Love watching people getting dragged off planes.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 02:48:37 AM »

The first rule of United Airlines fight club is you do not talk about United Airlines fight club...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 05:55:21 AM »

The first rule of United Airlines fight club is you do not talk about United Airlines fight club...

*Flight Club?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 05:58:23 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2017, 06:35:37 AM by Torie »

I have tried to avoid them for years. I have had several bad experiences with them. And the idea you would kick off an already seated passenger to fly crew is outrageous. That is a screw up by the airline in "over-seating" the plane. Just drive them the four hours down to Louisville from Chicago, or charter a plane to get them down there. In general, I loathe flying and airports, and everything about the experience, and try to minimize such unpleasant experiences. If I were dictator, we would "invest" in high speed trains.

Oh, yes, my favorite airline is Southwest. They operate like a Swiss watch in general, and the staff are super friendly.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 06:13:27 AM »

Never have and never will. I haven't been noted of the awkward attitude of UA crews towards passengers, but if I need to travel to/bypassing the US, I will avoid it. Cathay Pacific and Delta both make a lot better job.
(Ingenuously, I haven't been on the soil of the States)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 06:32:25 AM »

If I have a choice between United and an equally priced airline then I will pick the other airline.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 09:59:28 AM »

I will keep flying United since it is the best for international and domestic out of Chicago. But I will probably try to earn rewards that can be flexed to different airlines.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »

Not to mention I've yet to see United be the cheapest fare on any destination out of my home airport. Usually they're the most expensive.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »

If they're the cheapest for my destination and can get me there at a good hour, absolutely.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »

If they're the cheapest for my destination and can get me there at a good hour, absolutely.
^ this
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 10:39:48 AM »

#UNITEDFORUNTIED

#STANDWITHUNITED

I will only fly United from here on out.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »

I mean, I didn't before this episode because it's just a shltty airline.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 11:23:23 AM »

The sh**t is really hitting the fan for United-the Senate is getting involved: http://www.wmur.com/article/hassan-other-senators-demand-answers-from-united-airlines/9264698
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »

Yeah, I'm boycotting 'em. Been that way since my freshman year of college.

Been that way since they mishandled a "free check-in at the gate" carry-on bag of mine for two months. It was just like that Beavis and Butthead short with customer service. First, they gave me the wrong stubs, when I tried to inquire...then they sent it to Burlington, Vermont!

The last time after that was the next year, when American booked me with them as the small leg in compensation for cancelled flight to Chicago thanks to a snowstorm.  Said flight ran hours late, and I was lucky the big leg to SFO was slated to be 7 hours later, I had one hour to spare.  This day was perfectly clear too btw.

So yeah, I don't need some kinda popular moral crusade, they've pissed me off enough with bad service.

This is pretty similar to what happened to me. I was on a flight to Miami via Houston, and was flying out of Miami on a charter flight to Havana the next morning. When I get to Miami, I find out my bags didn't make it - okay, that's no problem. They tell me that they're in Orlando, and that they'll be in later that evening on an American Airlines flight. When I come back later that evening, American Airlines says they haven't heard anything about this. I go back to United who continues to tell me that they should have arrived on the American Airlines flight from Orlando, and says if it hasn't I should complain to American Airlines, not them. The United official refuses to call the American Airlines desk, because it's apparently against some protocol and insists I go between either end of the airport like a carrier pigeon.

Eventually, it becomes clear that my bags aren't going to be there by the time I leave the next morning, so we call United's customer service phone tree. They refuse to give me any compensation for what's going on because the bag wasn't technically "lost" it was just not where they meant for it to be. Eventually they tell me if I buy replacements, they'll refund me up to $25 (for about 10 days worth of clothes, toiletries, etc., yeah right). Apparently not realizing that I could either buy it basically at the airport that morning where a T-shirt costs $80 or buy it in Havana, which would mean I can't bring it back lest I violate the Cuba embargo.

At this point, I'm annoyed, but I figure I can just buy a couple cheap clothes in Havana, and if I have to leave it there, so be it. Meanwhile they'll just ship the rest of my stuff to me when they find it. However, United continues to deny they ever had any possession of my bags, despite me dropping it off at their gate in Seattle, and insists that this is all American Airlines' fault, and I should be complaining to them and having them get my bags to me. Eventually, because I didn't have cell service in Cuba, my parents step in and try to get things done from Seattle. Eventually, eight days later it's revealed to them that my bags were with United in Seattle the entire time. They were never in Orlando, American Airlines never had possession of them, the entire story was totally contrived, and they never got my luggage to me until I was home. Even afterwards, they refused any compensation but the $25 for a single change of clothes, and never took any responsibility for continually lying to us and trying to pass the buck for over a week.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 10:49:09 PM »

Not anytime soon, but that's because:
a) I don't fly much, and
b) where I do plan to fly this summer, they weren't the best option anyway.
dax00

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2017, 06:36:32 AM »

i made the decision never to fly with their airline 3 years ago
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies