The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:57:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Author Topic: The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread  (Read 46896 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »

Republicans won't rest until they kill off everyone who isn't dirty wealthy.

well, the 8 bn are basically "nothing" but even if the would double that sum again, it would be a subsidy without any incentive to buy insurance, since risk-corridor "victims" are helped, which means: you shouldn't buy insurance anyway  .....bizarre law.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 11:28:06 AM by TD »

Maybe you should change the name of the thread? :-D

There's still 20 votes against it. It may or may not pass the House but the Senate will almost certainly kill it.

Out of curiosity do you grasp what the ACA and the repeal law does and do you understand the insurance markets in America? Somehow I think your nuance here is severely lacking and is reducible to “BAD DEMS.”

EDIT: Here, do your homework. Look up reconciliation. I'm fairly sure you have never ever grasped the concept of reconciliation before in a Congressional bill, let alone heard of it before.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2017, 11:23:51 AM »

They're definitely closer to passing in the House this time, but it could be very close.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »

Does anyone have an estimated whip count.

There are now 20 votes for No from the GOP, the absolute max is 22.

They either need to flip a few more no's or run the table on the undecided votes.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »

There are now 20 votes for No from the GOP, the absolute max is 22.

They either need to flip a few more no's or run the table on the undecided votes.

I count 18 hard no's, with Upton and Long back on the yes camp (what did I tell you? Long was doing this for political reasons. I was right to be cynical). But others have 20.

They still need to run the table to win this.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »

i recommend you to follow matt fuller like everybody else.

https://twitter.com/mepfuller?lang=de
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »

As long as it's stuck in the house, it won't hurt the GOP that much. If it gets to the senate, it will be painful for the GOP. If it passes the senate, it will stab the pubs in the back. If Trump signs it, it will shoot the republicans in the head.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »

i recommend you to follow matt fuller like everybody else.

https://twitter.com/mepfuller?lang=de

Thank you, AA!
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »

As long as it's stuck in the house, it won't hurt the GOP that much. If it gets to the senate, it will be painful for the GOP. If it passes the senate, it will stab the pubs in the back. If Trump signs it, it will shoot the republicans in the head.

Don't be naive....the GOP was rewarded in states that expanded Medicaid....just look at Kentucky

Trump will say it's great and his cult will believe it's fine even as they rack up medical bills

The GOP has the presidency, they'll take the hit.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »

i follow the philosophy of manchin:

the people don't know why they got coverage but they will know who took it away.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2017, 12:14:01 PM »

I think the tide may have shifted in the House, and opposition has softened. Right now, I think this may actually pass the House.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »

I think the tide may have shifted in the House, and opposition has softened. Right now, I think this may actually pass the House.

meh, 2 flips isn't important. They need 5 or 6 more flips to barely get it through.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2017, 12:16:43 PM »

has nothing to do with "tides", moderates are softer than hardcores mostly anyway and the GOP is mostly throwing money at the problem, until they somehow get exactly the number of votes they need.

not going anywhere anyway but will be costly....
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »

has nothing to do with "tides", moderates are softer than hardcores mostly anyway and the GOP is mostly throwing money at the problem, until they somehow get exactly the number of votes they need.

not going anywhere anyway but will be costly....

Oh yeah by no means am I worried about this bill eventually becoming law, just that its death date may be coming later rather than sooner.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »

This feels like watching the Trump campaign in 2016. It's very entertaining to watch it drag on and destroy the party but every day longer it lives brings it closer to the cataclysm of actual passage.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »

This feels like watching the Trump campaign in 2016. It's very entertaining to watch it drag on and destroy the party but every day longer it lives brings it closer to the cataclysm of actual passage.

look at it like that:

the longer they waste with this time-bomb-bill, the less damaga they can do otherwise.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 01:19:51 PM by TD »

18 no per Fuller. 8 Lean no, 10 undecided, 18 lean yes. 202 yesses, so far if you factor in the "lean yesses."

Ignoring everyone who's already a no except Upton and Long and focusing on the lean no and undecided voters --

To summarize, of Fuller's list, I expect Amash (Michigan), Faso, Polinquin, Roskam, Stefanik, Yoder, and Young to vote yes. Amash sounded like he wanted to vote yes. Faso, Stefanik, Polinquin, Webster (FL) and Yoder all come from Trumpkin districts and will want to stand with the President and GOP Leadership. Stefanik, Polinquin, and Faso, in particular, come from districts that went for Trump more than they went for Romney. Roskam is a former House Majority Deputy Whip, and will want to stay loyal to leadership.

Now to the folks I think will vote no. Curbelo (R-FL) is a no, most likely, based on his tweets and he's from a swing district. Issa is also a no, I believe, because he won by just 1,600 votes and he comes from a district that broke heavily for Clinton. Valadao is in the same boat but doing better, he won 57-43%  but needed heavy crossover from the Clinton/Obama voters to re-elect him (and his district is near LA). So, of the 18 No's right now, that brings us to 21. Steve Knight won 53-46% and hails from a Clinton district, so 22 no.

The deciding vote is probably Mike Coffman (Colorado). Clinton and Obama won the district by 9 points, and Coffman won 52-43%. However, the Democrat was well funded and the district includes Denver, Littleton and Aurora. I'd estimate Coffman as wanting to get yes, but he isn't sold on the preexisting conditions enough, so I expect him to be a no. So that's your 23rd no.

This bill is basically going to pass 216-215 if it passes at all. I'd think that it has about 213-215 yesses, and the majority no.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 01:43:32 PM by Castro »

Right now I'm leaning towards this passing with about 20-22 defections. Either way, it's looking uncomfortably close.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2017, 01:54:53 PM »

Yes, no, lean yes updated count at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-health-care-bill_us_5909fdf9e4b02655f84314af?eth

Getting closer and Spicer said they won't go to a vote unless they are sure of passage. Tom Garrett of VA-5 said they are prepared to go into the weekend to get the votes and assure passage.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2017, 01:55:21 PM »

All this effort just to have it killed in the Senate.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »

I don't get it why the GOP wants to give the dems this big talking point going into 2018 about this bill? Seriously people don't like it an Trump doesn't have the bully pulpit to make it popular
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 02:38:26 PM by TD »

Upton says he's not sure the vote changes convinced anyone other than Long and him. Fuller is saying that the vote counts look weaker than what the leadership is indicating. The 18 No's seem to hold. Coffman is not a yes yet, and indicates he leans no because the preexisting conditions thing is not strong enough for him.

I'm increasingly believing that the Upton Amendment was a false dawn and that the bill remains in deep trouble. The Medicaid expansion being cut is also the hidden reason a lot of No's are there. I also believe there are Republicans that aren't on any list that want to vote no.

NOTE: Please note the grassroots movement is against this as are a number of prominent organizations. I think this is understated but it will likely make it very hard for House Republicans to pass it without extreme political costs.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »

Obamacare will be dead soon:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump wins again!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »

Trump wins again!

Until lots of the House Republicans get booted in 2018 and this dies a horrible death in the Senate!
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »

More like Republicans will be dead in the midterms. This is a terrible bill to have your name attached to in any even remotely competitive district. And it's not even likely to clear the senate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies