The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:44:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28
Author Topic: The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread  (Read 46291 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:25:34 AM »
« edited: May 04, 2017, 10:44:45 AM by Ronnie »

In an interview with Maria Bartiromo that will air tomorrow morning, Trump says that healthcare will come before tax reform:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/04/11/president-trump-interview-mornings-maria-bartiromo-fox-business-network

In addition, Freedom Caucus leader Mark Meadows says that Republicans are "close" to reaching a deal, and that he is confident that the eventual bill will pass the House:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/11/house-freedom-caucus-gop-leaders-close-to-reaching-deal-on-health-care-bill/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/04/11/exclusive-meadows-revives-health-care-negotiations-confident-republicans-will-pass-bill-maybe-before-recess/

How will this all pan out?
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 02:30:48 AM »

Poorly. This is a tremendous waste of the president's political capital.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:38:27 AM »

You guys have your own Jimmy Carter now. A president with same party control of the House and Senate yet somehow unable to govern.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »

The President is unable to grasp that a major law that is more popular than him is going to stay on the books. For the record, he's bluffing. They're making the subsidy payments to insurance companies still.

This is called "we surrender, let's move onto tax reform." He's mouthing off about healthcare reform but I don't think there is a serious plan. They will keep trying to whack at it until they realize that half of the GOP House doesn't want to repeal ObamaCare.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »

You guys have your own Jimmy Carter now. A president with same party control of the House and Senate yet somehow unable to govern.

Do you mean just general unified control or? I'd like to think Republicans could have passed at least their reconciliation repeal version if they had majorities like Democrats did in 1977-1979. At least in the House, anyway.

Not to say that comparison isn't perfectly suitable overall. Trump, with the addition of Ryan and a generally unpopular agenda is a perfect recipe for dysfunction.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:33 AM »

except carter was actually good
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »

Even if they can ram something through by 1 vote in the house and Pence in the Senate, they still have a lot to do here:

If they're really going all out here, don't expect to see tax reform passed this year.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »

except carter was actually good

He was a nice guy, but like Hoover, his economic ideas were outdated for the economic crisis he was dealing with.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »

Even if they can ram something through by 1 vote in the house and Pence in the Senate, they still have a lot to do here:

If they're really going all out here, don't expect to see tax reform passed this year.

That will give us 60 seats in the House and probably allow us to gan in the Senate.
And Reconcilation may or may not be an option by the end.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 03:57:37 PM »

lol
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 06:38:45 PM »

Trump Toys With Sabotaging Obamacare To Bring Dems To The Table On Repealing It

"I don't want anybody to get hurt.  Just do as I say, and nobody's gonna get hurt."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2017, 06:51:32 PM by Torie »

Trump (and probably Ryan sadly) desperately wants to cut spending on health care for the poor (masked of course, but you can't "save" 900 billion, without cutting medical services subsidies for the impecuious), to finance tax cuts. It's just "vomitous" and horrible. The word here is EVIL.  No other word will do.

The burden of proof is on the Pubs to demonstrate that somehow, there is a magic wand out there, to get the same level of health care (we can toss this jive it will be at once hugely less expensive and hugely better that Trump spews out in the trash can I think with some confidence), at hugely less cost. That burden to my knowledge has not been met. My former party has crossed the River Styx. Where the F is its conscience? Sad!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »

"I don't want anybody to get hurt.  Just do as I say, and nobody's gonna get hurt."

Well, there goes the debt ceiling.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 07:23:15 PM »

The Administration will blink.

61% of the voting public would blame Trump if ObamaCare goes south, not the Democrats, according to a recent poll. Combined with the lack of unity in the GOP House for replacing the law, and Trump's bluffing. This isn't a real estate deal where the Democrats aren't holding some good cards. This is a political situation where the Democrats have tons of good cards that were only bolstered by the GOP imploding over the AHCA.

Trump at the end of the WSJ (or NYT?) interview indicated as much saying that he recognized that he was now in charge and would be blamed or credited for ObamaCare, indicating that it would probably sway his mind on the payments.

Not sure why or who is selling him the crack that he can replace the law at this point. The emboldened Democrats already sense blood in the water and Trumpy doesn't have the world's best hand going forward on this issue.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 07:29:11 PM »

So, he's basically saying that he cares more about his own political legacy and ambitions than the lives of Americans.  If any other president even suggested such a thing, the media would air wall-to-wall coverage of the comments until he or she retracted them, and/or resigned from office.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 01:57:47 AM »

So, he's basically saying that he cares more about his own political legacy and ambitions than the lives of Americans.  If any other president even suggested such a thing, the media would air wall-to-wall coverage of the comments until he or she retracted them, and/or resigned from office.

But we've already come to expect nothing less than lowness out of him.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »

As has been mentioned before, "TrumpCare" would have the biggest negative impact on the places that went very heavily for Trump. Even if we can't agree on anything else about Trump, we can agree that he cares what people think about him, and he especially cares that his loyal fans stay loyal. He's not going to push on this again any time soon, especially since I think he did realize who would be most affected. He's going to talk big, but there's a huge difference between talk and action.

I wouldn't put it past Ryan and company to try again, but they're going to have to take a breather first and wait for people to be less riled up about the issue. They will have much better luck if they don't make a big deal about it and silently murder the ACA bit by bit.

In some ways, it seems the focus on repealing the ACA really helped those who were legitimately confused about the ACA learn a lot more about it. Calling the ACA "Obamacare" was an intentional attempt to give it negative connotations and confuse people, and it seems it worked. But with all the focus on getting rid of it, many realized that the things they were currently enjoying in their health care would go away.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »

Breaking: HFC announces support for new bill:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/857275725119991808
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »

Once more with feeling, if it touches Medicaid and Medicare, it is not passing.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 11:55:12 AM »

The fun fact is btw, that congress is excluded from the waivers cause.....wait for it....DC is not a state.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »

We have to keep telling ourselves this but with these guys...forget it, they'll pass it anyway

Chances in the house... 30-40%, Chances in the Senate... 0-5%
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »

We have to keep telling ourselves this but with these guys...forget it, they'll pass it anyway

They could just change the rules in the Senate to pass it without 60 votes

Last I checked there were only 52 GOP senators, and there is no way that they get Collins/Murkowski on this, so they have to hold everyone else, and use Pence.... Given that COTTON seemed to hate the AHCA, I kinda doubt that would happen.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/senators-can-kill-gop-health-plan.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 12:33:20 PM »

Last I checked there were only 52 GOP senators, and there is no way that they get Collins/Murkowski on this, so they have to hold everyone else, and use Pence.... Given that COTTON seemed to hate the AHCA, I kinda doubt that would happen.

Reps don't care...they'll do it anyway. Read the memos Congressional GOPers send themselves. They think they have 100% backing from the American public...it's like a cult over there

Isn't that what you were saying before the previous version of Trumpcare collapsed?
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 12:40:22 PM »

Reps don't care...they'll do it anyway. Read the memos Congressional GOPers send themselves. They think they have 100% backing from the American public...it's like a cult over there

Isn't that what you were saying before the previous version of Trumpcare collapsed?

Just because it previously failed doesn't mean it still can't pass. They'll end up passing something eventually as the resistance breaks down in the party. It took LBJ a couple of months to get Medicare and it took Obama over a year to pass ACA

LBJ and Obama had much bigger House/Senate Majorities to work with, and they took a year because they didn't cram it through without hearings. I don't think the AHCA is the noose the GOP wants to hang themselves with, especially the 23 House members in Clinton districts, let alone Collins, Heller, Portman, etc.

Without at least some interest from Dems, this thing is going nowhere fast.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »

Just because it previously failed doesn't mean it still can't pass. They'll end up passing something eventually as the resistance breaks down in the party. It took LBJ a couple of months to get Medicare and it took Obama over a year to pass ACA

LBJ and Obama had much bigger House/Senate Majorities to work with, and they took a year because they didn't cram it through without hearings. I don't think the AHCA is the noose the GOP wants to hang themselves with, especially the 23 House members in Clinton districts, let alone Collins, Heller, Portman, etc.

Without at least some interest from Dems, this thing is going nowhere fast.

Based off of my understanding, maybe I'm wrong here, but once the house passes AHCA...it basically kills Obama care until the Senate votes to replace it. The GOP would then under those circumstances hold it hostage till the Dems cave

Your understanding is incorrect. Obamacare replacement needs to pass both chambers. Until it does so, there is no change in the status quo.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies