The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:42:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The TrumpCare comes back from the dead (...and lives!) thread  (Read 46870 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »

Why are people here saying it "died". Am I missing something? It's a regular occurence not to put something on the floor if you don't have enough votes.

There are 19 no votes and enough undecideds that if half vote for it, it will be enough.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:42:45 PM »

Why are people here saying it "died". Am I missing something? It's a regular occurence not to put something on the floor if you don't have enough votes.

There are 19 no votes and enough undecideds that if half vote for it, it will be enough.
We don't even have a solid whip count, so the no's are probably higher.
All I am saying is that it's not an uncommon occurrence to delay legislation. The ACA was delayed 6 times in the house, and IIRC, TARP was delayed twice.

This is a much better position now than a month ago.

Get it through the house, let the moderates do what they want with it in joint committees, and be done with it.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:06:35 AM »

There are 21. More likely, more than 21. It's dead, most likely. They keep trying to put it on the floor and it keeps not getting there. Do you understand, out of curiosity, why this isn't going to pass the Senate, let alone go to conference? If they pass it out of the House, the Senate will gut it like a fish.

Do you not understand what a joint committee is? You think the legislation that passes the house is the same legislation the senate votes on?

Why don't you go back and look at the ACA bill initially passed by the house.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »

just out of curiosity TD, what type of replacement bill would YOU want?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »

Does anyone have an estimated whip count.

There are now 20 votes for No from the GOP, the absolute max is 22.

They either need to flip a few more no's or run the table on the undecided votes.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 11:40:37 AM »

Does anyone have an estimated whip count.

i recommend you to follow matt fuller like everybody else.

https://twitter.com/mepfuller?lang=de

Thank you, AA!
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »

I think the tide may have shifted in the House, and opposition has softened. Right now, I think this may actually pass the House.

meh, 2 flips isn't important. They need 5 or 6 more flips to barely get it through.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »

They wouldn't be voting on it if ryan didn't think he had the votes. 
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 07:06:12 PM »

Young, Valdao, knight, and dehman all switch to yes
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »

Why is Matt Fuller assuming the undecideds break so much for the YES side?

His whip count is at 19 No or "leaning no" and 13 undecided.

Just getting 4 of those 13 (about 30%) is enough to kill the bill.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 11:34:47 PM »

They had seven years to come up with a coherent ~conservative health care solution~. SEVEN ING YEARS OF CONSTANTLY RUNNING ON OPPOSING THE ACA. Is this turkey all they're capable of?! Is it all they want to be capable of?! Why the hell didn't they prepare a halfway acceptable bill two, or five, or seven years ago that they could pass when they got a Republican trifecta?! Why didn't they spend any of that seven years coming up with something that wouldn't cause people to die in a heap if passed?

Any healthcare solution that does not involve more government will be met with accusations of letting people die.

Name me a conservative, sensible plan they could have come up with that wasn't going to be met with scorn from you people?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 12:20:16 AM »

Name me a conservative, sensible plan they could have come up with that wasn't going to be met with scorn from you people?

I'm not an expert on health policy, asshole, just a poor body who contemplates suicide multiple times a day even with my thousand-dollar-a-month psychiatric medications. Why doesn't your party put an ounce of effort into this for once if it wants to know what people will think?

My view is simple:

We will never see long term, tangible, widespread positive trends in our healthcare system unless two things change

1) The AMA's power is reduced: it's hard to imagine a more stupid setup where we restrict dramatically the supply of a good or service when the exorbitant price of that good or service is the issue. There are countries in europe that have TWICE the amount fo doctors as we do, the netherlands for example. The AMA is a cartel.

2) Employers have to pay payroll taxes on healthcare premiums they pay for employees. A huge reason why the pre-exixting condition exists in the first place is because people lose their jobs and thus their insurance.

The AHCA and the ACA do not address either.

I want to see a dramatic increase in the supply of health services in this country. Econ101: when the supply curve shifts right, what happens to price?

I want more doctors being accepted and I want more medical schools built.

I met a lady at my chiropractor the other day who was a dentist in peru for 4 years and was NOT ALLOWED to practice it in America when she moved here. How is that possible?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 12:32:20 AM »

I'm not an expert on health policy, asshole, just a poor body who contemplates suicide multiple times a day even with my thousand-dollar-a-month psychiatric medications. Why doesn't your party put an ounce of effort into this for once if it wants to know what people will think?

My view is simple:

We will never see long term, tangible, widespread positive trends in our healthcare system unless two things change

1) The AMA's power is reduced: it's hard to imagine a more stupid setup where we restrict dramatically the supply of a good or service when the exorbitant price of that good or service is the issue. There are countries in europe that have TWICE the amount fo doctors as we do, the netherlands for example. The AMA is a cartel.

2) Employers have to pay payroll taxes on healthcare premiums they pay for employees. A huge reason why the pre-exixting condition exists in the first place is because people lose their jobs and thus their insurance.

I want to see a dramatic increase in the supply of health services in this country. Econ101: when the supply curve shifts right, what happens to price?

I met a lady at my chiropractor the other day who was a dentist in peru for 4 years and was NOT ALLOWED to practice it in America when she moved here. How is that possible?

Maybe doctors would be willing to accept lower, European-level salaries if they didn't have to go into $200K+ of student debt to complete their education.

This, again, can be traced back to the past when many medical schools were shut down en masse.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:46 AM »

My view is simple:

Maybe doctors would be willing to accept lower, European-level salaries if they didn't have to go into $200K+ of student debt to complete their education.

This, again, can be traced back to the past when many medical schools were shut down en masse.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

A lot of those schools were the period equivalent of diploma mill jokes.

Medicine shouldn't be like law school where any moron who's willing to borrow the money can get a degree from a third-tier failure factory.

I don't think so either, but reform isn't an unreasonable request. The Obama admin last year even sent out policy recommendations to explore the effects of higher admissions rates to medical school.

There's a tradeoff between only allowing the best to be doctors, and lower healthcare costs.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »

Mike Coffman says he's a NO, Mark Amodei is a YES.

Leadership likely let coffman make that call, considering he is very vulnerable in 2018
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies