Reunification of the Southeast Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:34:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Reunification of the Southeast Bill  (Read 8410 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2005, 08:27:44 PM »

Clause I

The State of Virginia shall henceforth be located in the Southeast Region.

Clause II

This bill shall take effect immediately on September 1, 2005 or once approved by the residents of Virginia by plebiscite and by the Southeast and Mideast Regions, whichever occurs at a later time.

Sponsor: Sen. Sam Spade
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 08:29:05 PM »

I'm going to need a very good reason to support this, and the fact that Virginia was part of the Confederacy is not a very good reason to support this.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 08:51:48 PM »

I'm going to need a very good reason to support this, and the fact that Virginia was part of the Confederacy is not a very good reason to support this.

Yes same here. For now I am against this unless their is some good, non-historical non-Confederate oriented, reason for this to happen. I personally think that this is nothing more than the first step in the Dixie Unionist/Nullificationist agenda of uniting the old Confederacy into one giant region. If this is not the case and it was put forward to provide for something else, ie a resident of Virginia had petition Senator Sam Spade for a change in districts, I will be more inclined to vote in the affirmative.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 08:55:37 PM »

First off let me announce my support for this bill.

For one, I think it is important that the citizens of Virginia have an opportunity to voice their opinion regarding their region of choice; the only way this will happen is if this bill passes.

In regards to Gabu's question, Virginia has a great deal more in common with the states of the Southeast than with the states of the Mideast. Yes, this includes the fact that Virginia was part of the Confederacy, but I feel that it goes deeper than that. Any Virginian will tell you that we have more in common with Atlanta than Indianapolis, culturally, socially, historically, and many other -allys I can't think of at the moment. We like sweet tea, NASCAR, and college football. We say ya'll and speak in a slow Southern drawl. We are proud of the heritage that we share with the South.

(I will now step off the soapbox)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 09:09:01 PM »

I support the attitude of fellow Senator MHS2002 and Virginian in this matter.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 09:32:02 PM »

Stupid idea who cares if it should be part of the south. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 09:47:04 PM »

I think Mideast should get something off this deal.  Maybe reserves if the Senate ever amendments the constitution to add another state or some sort of monetary compensation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 09:50:29 PM »

What's wrong with giving Virginians a chance to voice their opinion on the matter?  We've already heard from one Virginian on the matter who says that Virginia clearly belongs in the Southeast.

Fact is, I recognize that the Mideast citizenry and especially its leadership will not approve of this.  I respect yalls opinion on this matter as always.

I'm doing this in the hope, at least, that Virginians will finally feel open enough to voice their own feelings on the matter and whatever their feelings are on the matter, I will listen to, even if it means forgoing reunification of the Southeast.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 09:52:50 PM »

First off let me announce my support for this bill.

For one, I think it is important that the citizens of Virginia have an opportunity to voice their opinion regarding their region of choice; the only way this will happen is if this bill passes.

In regards to Gabu's question, Virginia has a great deal more in common with the states of the Southeast than with the states of the Mideast. Yes, this includes the fact that Virginia was part of the Confederacy, but I feel that it goes deeper than that. Any Virginian will tell you that we have more in common with Atlanta than Indianapolis, culturally, socially, historically, and many other -allys I can't think of at the moment. We like sweet tea, NASCAR, and college football. We say ya'll and speak in a slow Southern drawl. We are proud of the heritage that we share with the South.

(I will now step off the soapbox)

But it seems to me, as King implies, that the Mideast is just losing a state and is getting nothing in return except for the fuzzy satisfaction that they've made some Virginians happy, which is not likely to fly very well.

What do other Virginians think of this, anyway?  Do they all support this, or just the more conservative ones?  If close to 100% of Virginians want to be in the Southeast region, then I'll consider this.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 10:08:19 PM »

I would consider having a plebiscite open to Virginians only (non-binding) and maybe we could discuss then. But my "boss" has the final say in this.
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 10:10:19 PM »

I have PM'ed all Virginians asking for their input on this matter, so hopefully they will make their feelings felt soon.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 10:19:36 PM »

There is a legitimate reason for transferring Virginia to the Southeast. Culturally and historically, I would think that Virginia would belong to the Southeast. This is not by any means frivolous idea.

There is also a legitimate reason for keeping Virginia in the Mideast. In particular, Atlasian Regions do not necessarily have to reflect historical boundaries. Moreover, the Mideast would lose a considerable number of citizens.

Given that there is indeed a legitimate reason on each side, the People of Virginia should be allowed to voice their opinions. It should be up to them: does the interest of the Mideast outweigh cultural and historical ties to the Southeast? They are the ones best placed, and most entitled, to deciding.

I, therefore, have no personal opinion one way or the other.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »

It may be time to redraw the Atlasian Regions. The simple fact that the Midwest has only six active citizens to fill 3-4 positions certainly shows that.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 11:05:57 PM »

Senator MHS, Clark Kent Daily Planet, does your position on this bill come about because of your Senate race in southern states?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 11:13:15 PM »

I'm on the fense with this one. I would prefer if the people of Virgina would vote on it though. Must be some silly Constitution mumbo jumbo that outlaws common sense decisions like this.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2005, 12:08:51 AM »

Yet another worthless bill
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2005, 01:51:41 AM »

But it seems to me, as King implies, that the Mideast is just losing a state and is getting nothing in return except for the fuzzy satisfaction that they've made some Virginians happy, which is not likely to fly very well.
Yeah!  Who cares about the people in Virginia, we can't let Joe Republic lose a state!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2005, 01:55:40 AM »

Yeah!  Who cares about the people in Virginia, we can't let Joe Republic lose a state!

If you had read other posts I've made, you would have noted that I very much care about the thoughts of the Virginian people.  The comment above does not imply that I completely oppose this measure no matter what.  It's only a comment that I'm making to add to the debate; are we not allowed to state the cons of this decision?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2005, 02:02:25 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2005, 02:07:59 AM by Porce »

If you had read other posts I've made, you would have noted that I very much care about the thoughts of the Virginian people.  The comment above does not imply that I completely oppose this measure no matter what.  It's only a comment that I'm making to add to the debate; are we not allowed to state the cons of this decision?
I know, Gabu, I was more referring to some of the people of the Mideast, including the Governor, who are more concerned about keeping states than doing the will of the residents of Virginia.  Joe has never been open about the idea despite the fact that most active Virginians seem to support it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2005, 03:00:39 AM »

I tend to think it might be a better idea to completely redraw the regions. All of them.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2005, 03:18:08 AM »

I think Mideast should get something off this deal.  Maybe reserves if the Senate ever amendments the constitution to add another state or some sort of monetary compensation.

They can have Mississipi. Tongue
MHS2002

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2005, 05:33:20 AM »

Senator MHS, Clark Kent Daily Planet, does your position on this bill come about because of your Senate race in southern states?

I've always felt this way about Virginia. A while back, I joined Ernest's Dixie Union Caucus, which had the placement of Virginia in the Southeast as one of its goals. I supported Virginia's move to the Southeast then and I support it now.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2005, 06:36:32 AM »

I strongly oppose transfering Virginia to the southeast. If we transfer Virginia the southeast will be trying harder to get Kentucky and Oklahoma transfered as well.

I will fight to keep this bill from passing and will also try to convince my other Senators to vote against this as well.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 07:01:54 AM »

Virginia is not a Southeastern state, neither in region or in political ideology.  I would strongly recommend against the measure and leave it in the Mideast.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 07:05:11 AM »

I'll just throw in (which I forgot until now) that our Mideast Judge, Ben, is from Virginia as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies