Reunification of the Southeast Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:51:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Reunification of the Southeast Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Reunification of the Southeast Bill  (Read 8413 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »

I'll just throw in (which I forgot until now) that our Mideast Judge, Ben, is from Virginia as well.
Does he oppose this, though?  And if so, did he have the same position before becoming Mideast Judge?  I know of three active Virginians who have stated their support of reunification: Senator MHS2002, A18, and Frodo.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 07:36:31 AM »

Does he oppose this, though?  And if so, did he have the same position before becoming Mideast Judge?

Er, why would his reason for opposing this (if he does) matter?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 07:53:28 AM »

Does he oppose this, though?  And if so, did he have the same position before becoming Mideast Judge?

Er, why would his reason for opposing this (if he does) matter?
Because he's from Virginia.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 08:22:56 AM »

There are 8 people from Virginia. So far it's 3-1 but Umengus, nickshepDEM, Ben and thefactor(Beet) haven't said anything yet.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2005, 09:09:02 AM »

And now I just remembered that Blerpiez is in Virginia IIRC.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 12:26:52 PM »

I'm sure it will surprise nobody that I'm still against this.  But in my defense against Ebowed',s assertion, I have always been open to the possibility of it.  It's just that so far the case presented to me so far has been weak at best.

1. If the SE takes Virginia, where will they stop?  Kentucky, Oklahoma, Missouri?  Even D.C., Maryland and Delaware?  Its already a stated aim of the Dixie Union Caucus to try and reunite the Old Confederacy, which would put every other region at great cost (in many more ways than one).

2. It doesn't seem to bother anybody that, for example, Wisconsin and Illinois aren't Midwestern states, despite being quite firmly in the well-established Midwest region in real life.  Equally, Wyoming and Idaho are separated right now, despite being incredibly similar culturally and politically.  Where's the massive demand for them to be reunited?  Why is Virginia such a special case?

3. A few Virginian people have already stated their support for this, and a few have already come out against it.  However, some of the people currently registered in Virginia aren't even from there in real life.  Why do they seem to have a say in this, and others don't?  What's to stop anybody (like myself, for example) from just registering in VA and then declaring my opposition to it?

4. Let's say that VA switches to the SE.  A couple months from now, the current residents have become inactive or whatever, and have been replaced by a new bunch of Virginians, who all want VA out of the South.  Do we then have to begin proceedings for moving VA back again?  I realize that this same logic can be applied to any state transfer, and that is why I tend to view all of them with caution.

5. I'm sorry to say it, but the activities of certain members from the SE over the last few months has shown that the regional government is potentially unstable.  The citizens of the SE were almost plunged into Civil War following the activities of its government.  With Virginia being a border state between the Southeast and Mideast, they would be in the worst location if a war actually ever erupted.  I wouldn't wish that on any Virginian (or any Atlasian citizen for that matter).

6. I don't want this to set a precedent.  As it appears that this trade would benefit the Mideast in no way at all, and 'trade' really is an inaccurate name here, I don't want the Mideast to gain a reputation for giving in to bully boy tactics.  I'll openly admit that every state in the Mideast could easily be considered something other than 'Mideastern' (which isn't even an accepted word in real life).  So if one state jumps ship, chances are more will follow.  Then where will we be?  Sad
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 04:15:46 PM »

At least our government does not cancel elections due to rampant inactivity.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 04:23:04 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2005, 04:25:19 PM by Frodo »

There are 8 people from Virginia. So far it's 3-1 but Umengus, nickshepDEM, Ben and thefactor(Beet) haven't said anything yet.

To my knowledge nickshepDEM and thefactor are actually from Maryland -in real life.  As for Umengus, he is a foreign transplant who doesn't actually live here.

So there are actually five forum members who live in Virginia-

myself, Ben, AuH2O, A18 (Philip), and MHS2002.     

MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 04:26:22 PM »

nickshepDEM isn't even registered in Virginia I think. I believe he is registered in Maryland.

The actual VA residents are as follows:
A18
MHS2002
Frodo
Ben (family is in VA although he's in the UK I believe)
MODU
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2005, 04:28:25 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2005, 04:31:42 PM by Emsworth »

Let me address and comment on each of Governor Republic's very astute points.

1. If the SE takes Virginia, where will they stop?  Kentucky, Oklahoma, Missouri?  Even D.C., Maryland and Delaware?  Its already a stated aim of the Dixie Union Caucus to try and reunite the Old Confederacy, which would put every other region at great cost (in many more ways than one).
That is certainly a valid concern. But the current claim should be evaluated on its own merits, not taking into account slippery slope fallacies.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The citizens of the Southeast will, naturally, be concerned about unifying (as they see it) the Southeast. It should not be relevant that citizens of other regions are not equally concerned. I think that few bother about the examples you cite because the Midwest is an inactive region.

As far as I know, MHS2002, A18, and Frodo, all of whom support the move, are from the real life Commonwealth of Virginia.

This is another very valid concern; however, I do not think that such a situation is likely to come to pass.

I don't think that it is my place to comment, but the Southeast is not the only region which has faced problems. The Northeast has recently faced problems relating to the Governor's use of a line item veto. The Mideast has seen an election and referendum postponed, and then cancelled. The Midwest has faced a very serious inactivity crisis. The Pacific has seen many essentially uncontested elections. So the Southeast is not the only region with fantasy problems: no, such problems face all the regions from time to time.

This is probably, in my opinion, the most valid and most serious concern of all.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2005, 04:42:47 PM »

To my knowledge nickshepDEM and thefactor are actually from Maryland -in real life.  As for Umengus, he is a foreign transplant who doesn't actually live here.

This is the fantasy elections you know, if you're registered in Virginia you're from Virginia. AuH20 isn't registered in Virginia so it also doesn't count.

It counts where you're registered from in fantasy politics, not where you live in real life that decides this.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2005, 04:55:31 PM »

Are you seriously saying that we deny citizens inalienable rights just because they don't live in that state in real life? Why should it matter if they are real life Virginians or not we are not in America we are in Atlasia and you should get that through you thick skull. Would you be willing to, in real life, not be allowed to vote in state elections because you were not born in that state? This is pure idiocy of the highest kind. This smells of fascism and unconstitutionality. Why should AuH20 get a vote when he is not even a registered voter while registered voters like Umengus and nickshepDEM are being denied their right as Atlasian citizens? This is an outrage and it's intent, by this backer of the said bill, is nothing more than tomake the vote easier for the pro-Southeasterns to win while disregarding the rights and the votes of other Virginians. I know that almost all of the supporters of this bill would like it to be carried out, if passed, in a civil, lawful and orderly manner but comments like this are nothing more than discrimination against other Atlasians in order for your agenda to be more easily implemented. I am sorry if I offended any of the supporters of this bill, many of whom I regard in the highest manner, but I feel that this is nothing more than one citizen suggesting that the rights of another citizen should be taken away which is something I just cannot stand for.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2005, 05:00:38 PM »

Are you seriously saying that we deny citizens inalienable rights just because they don't live in that state in real life? Why should it matter if they are real life Virginians or not we are not in America we are in Atlasia and you should get that through you thick skull. Would you be willing to, in real life, not be allowed to vote in state elections because you were not born in that state? This is pure idiocy of the highest kind.
To be perfectly fair, the issue was raised not by Frodo, but by Governor Joe Republic:

3. A few Virginian people have already stated their support for this, and a few have already come out against it.  However, some of the people currently registered in Virginia aren't even from there in real life.  Why do they seem to have a say in this, and others don't?  What's to stop anybody (like myself, for example) from just registering in VA and then declaring my opposition to it?

Frodo was merely stating a fact (that certain posters actually live in Virginia in real life); he was merely responding to Joe Republic's question.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »

Are you seriously saying that we deny citizens inalienable rights just because they don't live in that state in real life? Why should it matter if they are real life Virginians or not we are not in America we are in Atlasia and you should get that through you thick skull. Would you be willing to, in real life, not be allowed to vote in state elections because you were not born in that state? This is pure idiocy of the highest kind.
To be perfectly fair, the issue was raised not by Frodo, but by Governor Joe Republic:

Frodo was merely stating a fact (that certain posters actually live in Virginia in real life); he was merely responding to Joe Republic's question.

I think Joe Republic mostly meant other people that aren't there now coming in to swing the state. I'm pretty sure he's fine with those that are in there now. He may prove me wrong though.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2005, 05:04:04 PM »

I think Joe Republic mostly meant other people that aren't there now coming in to swing the state. I'm pretty sure he's fine with those that are in there now. He may prove me wrong though.
That may certainly be true. However, I still feel that it is not fair to level accusations against Frodo, who was only responding to a question.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2005, 05:05:20 PM »

That may certainly be true. However, I still feel that it is not fair to level accusations against Frodo, who was only responding to a question.

Well he seemed to make it clearly obvious what he thought should happen in that "response".
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2005, 05:26:59 PM »

I must also state my opposition for this bill for mostly reasons already said.  We should not just transfer states idly just because the citizens want to.  This is Atlasia, and people can change their minds very fast.  Also, this could encourage carpetbagging to certain states just to chage their regions (like other states the Dixie Union Caucus wants).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2005, 05:41:49 PM »

I think it's funny that Joe Republic doesn't want to lose Virginia but supports abolishing the Midwest.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »

For the last time, please check your facts first.  They were 'postponed', not 'canceled'.  And the inactivity was far beyond my control.  It differs from you and StatesRights because your actions were deliberately reckless.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2005, 05:45:19 PM »

Also, this could encourage carpetbagging to certain states just to chage their regions (like other states the Dixie Union Caucus wants).
Says the person who moved from PA to MT to run for Senate
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2005, 05:47:51 PM »

For the last time, please check your facts first.  They were 'postponed', not 'canceled'.  And the inactivity was far beyond my control.  It differs from you and StatesRights because your actions were deliberately reckless.

They were postponed to the next scheduled election. ie, cancelled.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2005, 05:48:45 PM »

Let me address and comment on each of Governor Republic's very astute points.

That is certainly a valid concern. But the current claim should be evaluated on its own merits, not taking into account slippery slope fallacies.

Agreed.  I just wanted to raise the point as I feel that would be another precedent for the Dixie union to take advantage of.

The citizens of the Southeast will, naturally, be concerned about unifying (as they see it) the Southeast. It should not be relevant that citizens of other regions are not equally concerned. I think that few bother about the examples you cite because the Midwest is an inactive region.[/quote]

Also agreed.  This was really just to highlight the fact that such a fuss is being made over Virginia, but nowhere else.

As far as I know, MHS2002, A18, and Frodo, all of whom support the move, are from the real life Commonwealth of Virginia.[/quote]

This is true, but is outweighed anyway by the next point.

This is another very valid concern; however, I do not think that such a situation is likely to come to pass.[/quote]

Unlikely it may be, but possible it certainly is.

I don't think that it is my place to comment, but the Southeast is not the only region which has faced problems. The Northeast has recently faced problems relating to the Governor's use of a line item veto. The Mideast has seen an election and referendum postponed, and then cancelled. The Midwest has faced a very serious inactivity crisis. The Pacific has seen many essentially uncontested elections. So the Southeast is not the only region with fantasy problems: no, such problems face all the regions from time to time.[/quote]

Perhaps so, but the Southeast is the only region that has almost caused a Civil War in Atlasia.  I understand your point though.

This is probably, in my opinion, the most valid and most serious concern of all.
[/quote]

Thank you. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2005, 05:52:31 PM »

That's right - I have no problem at all with any of the people there now at all.  However, my point was merely that it seems strange to me that somebody who has never visited Virginia in his life has as much say in what happens to it as the actual residents (e.g. MHS, Frodo, etc.).  And also that anybody at any point could just re-register in the state and place their objection to the transfer.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2005, 05:56:38 PM »

I think it's funny that Joe Republic doesn't want to lose Virginia but supports abolishing the Midwest.

Actually if you look at it, that is my way of a compromise.  I support merging the Midwest and Mideast (or most of them at least), which would as a side effect put Virginia, West Virginia AND Kentucky in the Southeast.

I thought you said that I have "never been open about the idea" of giving VA to the SE?  Clearly that shows that I am.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2005, 05:56:55 PM »

Are you seriously saying that we deny citizens inalienable rights just because they don't live in that state in real life? Why should it matter if they are real life Virginians or not we are not in America we are in Atlasia and you should get that through you thick skull. Would you be willing to, in real life, not be allowed to vote in state elections because you were not born in that state? This is pure idiocy of the highest kind. This smells of fascism and unconstitutionality. Why should AuH20 get a vote when he is not even a registered voter while registered voters like Umengus and nickshepDEM are being denied their right as Atlasian citizens? This is an outrage and it's intent, by this backer of the said bill, is nothing more than tomake the vote easier for the pro-Southeasterns to win while disregarding the rights and the votes of other Virginians. I know that almost all of the supporters of this bill would like it to be carried out, if passed, in a civil, lawful and orderly manner but comments like this are nothing more than discrimination against other Atlasians in order for your agenda to be more easily implemented. I am sorry if I offended any of the supporters of this bill, many of whom I regard in the highest manner, but I feel that this is nothing more than one citizen suggesting that the rights of another citizen should be taken away which is something I just cannot stand for.

I'm looking through Frodo's posts, and I don't see where he wants to deny those registered in Virginia the right to vote in any election that would involve Virginia switching regions. Perhaps you  should read the post before going postal on his ass.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies