Reunification of the Southeast Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:36:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Reunification of the Southeast Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Reunification of the Southeast Bill  (Read 8454 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2005, 05:58:41 PM »

At least our government does not cancel elections due to rampant inactivity.

For the last time, please check your facts first.  They were 'postponed', not 'canceled'.  And the inactivity was far beyond my control.  It differs from you and StatesRights because your actions were deliberately reckless.

They were postponed to the next scheduled election. ie, cancelled.

Then this is an argument about semantics.

And I've already defended my actions.  At the risk of threadjacking, what's yours again?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2005, 06:05:41 PM »

Also, this could encourage carpetbagging to certain states just to chage their regions (like other states the Dixie Union Caucus wants).
Says the person who moved from PA to MT to run for Senate

We have been over this.  I moved to MT before I realized I wanted to run for Senate.  I wanted to move the Pacific just to run for Senate, why would I have moved to a state that was going to join the midwest soon?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2005, 06:18:54 PM »

My $.02:

There's no good reason to do this. Of course, there's only one bad reason: it'll puff up the Southeast's ego.

I'm leaning nay.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2005, 06:19:36 PM »

And I've already defended my actions.  At the risk of threadjacking, what's yours again?

My what? action, defense...
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2005, 06:20:10 PM »

There are 8 people from Virginia. So far it's 3-1 but Umengus, nickshepDEM, Ben and thefactor(Beet) haven't said anything yet.

To my knowledge nickshepDEM and thefactor are actually from Maryland -in real life.  As for Umengus, he is a foreign transplant who doesn't actually live here.

So there are actually five forum members who live in Virginia-

myself, Ben, AuH2O, A18 (Philip), and MHS2002.     

Are you seriously saying that we deny citizens inalienable rights just because they don't live in that state in real life? Why should it matter if they are real life Virginians or not we are not in America we are in Atlasia and you should get that through you thick skull. Would you be willing to, in real life, not be allowed to vote in state elections because you were not born in that state? This is pure idiocy of the highest kind. This smells of fascism and unconstitutionality. Why should AuH20 get a vote when he is not even a registered voter while registered voters like Umengus and nickshepDEM are being denied their right as Atlasian citizens? This is an outrage and it's intent, by this backer of the said bill, is nothing more than tomake the vote easier for the pro-Southeasterns to win while disregarding the rights and the votes of other Virginians. I know that almost all of the supporters of this bill would like it to be carried out, if passed, in a civil, lawful and orderly manner but comments like this are nothing more than discrimination against other Atlasians in order for your agenda to be more easily implemented. I am sorry if I offended any of the supporters of this bill, many of whom I regard in the highest manner, but I feel that this is nothing more than one citizen suggesting that the rights of another citizen should be taken away which is something I just cannot stand for.

I'm looking through Frodo's posts, and I don't see where he wants to deny those registered in Virginia the right to vote in any election that would involve Virginia switching regions. Perhaps you  should read the post before going postal on his ass.

I was told by another Senator through IM that he was saying that only native Virginians be allowed to vote. I, being the idiot that I am, didn't read through the post thoroughly before posting it. So I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Although I do reserve the right to go postal on anybodies ass whenever I feel like it. Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2005, 06:25:16 PM »

My what? action, defense...

Your defense for your actions as Southeast Magistrate during the Civil War 'crisis', of course.  Though if you're feeling generous you could remind us all of your actions too.

Actually here isn't the place for that.  I hate it when I blatantly hijack threads.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2005, 06:26:15 PM »

Here's a precis of the Senators' attitudes on the bill so far:

In favor/ Allow Virginia to decide
- Sam Spade
- MHS2002
- PBrunsel

Opposed
- Gabu
- Colin Wixted
- MasterJedi
- True Independent
- DanielX

Unclear
- King

Assuming that the individual elected in the special election this weekend favors the bill, and assuming that King favors the bill, the Senate is tied 5-5.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2005, 06:28:17 PM »

- Sam Spade
- MHS2002
- PBrunsel

Opposed
- Gabu
- Colin Wixted
- MasterJedi
- True Independent
- DanielX

Unclear
- King

I would say that I'm more undecided at the time.  I would prefer to hear what the Virginians have to think and consider all of the arguments from both sides before making up my mind.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2005, 06:52:02 PM »

I think it's funny that Joe Republic doesn't want to lose Virginia but supports abolishing the Midwest.

Actually if you look at it, that is my way of a compromise.  I support merging the Midwest and Mideast (or most of them at least), which would as a side effect put Virginia, West Virginia AND Kentucky in the Southeast.

I thought you said that I have "never been open about the idea" of giving VA to the SE?  Clearly that shows that I am.
That's not a very good compromise-- right now, you don't want Virginians to decide what region they should be in, and it looks like you don't think the Midwest should decide its fate either.

And I retract my statement that you were never open about the idea of giving VA to the Southeast.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2005, 06:53:31 PM »

Also, this could encourage carpetbagging to certain states just to chage their regions (like other states the Dixie Union Caucus wants).
Says the person who moved from PA to MT to run for Senate

We have been over this.  I moved to MT before I realized I wanted to run for Senate.  I wanted to move the Pacific just to run for Senate, why would I have moved to a state that was going to join the midwest soon?
According to several, including Keystone Phil, running for Senate was mentioned immediately after you moved to Montana.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2005, 06:57:37 PM »

- Sam Spade
- MHS2002
- PBrunsel

Opposed
- Gabu
- Colin Wixted
- MasterJedi
- True Independent
- DanielX

Unclear
- King

I would say that I'm more undecided at the time.  I would prefer to hear what the Virginians have to think and consider all of the arguments from both sides before making up my mind.

King told me he's for it and PBrunsel said he was unclear earlier so it's something like this:

For
-Sam Spade
-King
-MHS2002

Against
-MasterJedi
-True Ind.
-ColinWixted
-DanielX

Undecided
-PBrunsel
-Gabu
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2005, 07:02:23 PM »

That's not a very good compromise-- right now, you don't want Virginians to decide what region they should be in, and it looks like you don't think the Midwest should decide its fate either.

Actually I'm more than willing to hear what the Virginians feel about this issue - I just think that we should look much more deeply into any poll than simply asking 'yes or no'.  My earlier posts should hopefully explain this better.

As for the Midwest - I support the idea of a merger in theory.  But as none of the Midwesterners seem interested in it at all, that's where the issue ends as far as I'm concerned.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2005, 07:10:58 PM »

King told me he's for it and PBrunsel said he was unclear earlier
I think that PBrunsel said that the People of Virginia should be allowed to decide, so I counted him as being in favor.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2005, 07:16:51 PM »

I think that PBrunsel said that the People of Virginia should be allowed to decide, so I counted him as being in favor.

I think he did but I'm also pretty sure he said he was undecided.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2005, 07:24:02 PM »

I think he did but I'm also pretty sure he said he was undecided.

Here's the relevant quote:

I'm on the fense with this one. I would prefer if the people of Virgina would vote on it though.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2005, 08:24:58 PM »

I am for it, but would rather have a 4 region proposal.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2005, 08:47:17 PM »

The Mideast region would be totally decimated by this proposal, and by the philosophy behind it since the Mideast was not really drawn based on historical lines anyway. I'm against it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2005, 08:55:12 PM »

The Mideast region would be totally decimated by this proposal, and by the philosophy behind it since the Mideast was not really drawn based on historical lines anyway. I'm against it.

Okay, so that puts it at... what, 2 Virginians in favor and 2 against?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2005, 09:04:33 PM »

3-2 in favor
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2005, 09:06:52 PM »

Oh, right, I forgot about Frodo.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2005, 09:07:43 PM »

So did Sauron. He'll getcha though
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2005, 07:47:18 AM »

Exactly.  Like I said earlier (and in other threads too), Virginia is NOT a Southern state any more.  Even NC has brushed off most of the old South in many aspects and embraced the Mid-Atlantic views on issues (in the real world). 
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2005, 07:13:40 AM »

Unless there is further debate (from a Senator), this bill is scheduled for a vote at about 9:30 PM EST today.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2005, 03:26:46 PM »

I would like to make a motion to extend debate for 2 days (that's right isn't it?)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2005, 03:27:57 PM »

I'm in favor of this
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies