Reunification of the Southeast Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:08:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Reunification of the Southeast Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reunification of the Southeast Bill  (Read 8442 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: August 01, 2005, 08:29:05 PM »

I'm going to need a very good reason to support this, and the fact that Virginia was part of the Confederacy is not a very good reason to support this.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 09:52:50 PM »

First off let me announce my support for this bill.

For one, I think it is important that the citizens of Virginia have an opportunity to voice their opinion regarding their region of choice; the only way this will happen is if this bill passes.

In regards to Gabu's question, Virginia has a great deal more in common with the states of the Southeast than with the states of the Mideast. Yes, this includes the fact that Virginia was part of the Confederacy, but I feel that it goes deeper than that. Any Virginian will tell you that we have more in common with Atlanta than Indianapolis, culturally, socially, historically, and many other -allys I can't think of at the moment. We like sweet tea, NASCAR, and college football. We say ya'll and speak in a slow Southern drawl. We are proud of the heritage that we share with the South.

(I will now step off the soapbox)

But it seems to me, as King implies, that the Mideast is just losing a state and is getting nothing in return except for the fuzzy satisfaction that they've made some Virginians happy, which is not likely to fly very well.

What do other Virginians think of this, anyway?  Do they all support this, or just the more conservative ones?  If close to 100% of Virginians want to be in the Southeast region, then I'll consider this.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 01:55:40 AM »

But it seems to me, as King implies, that the Mideast is just losing a state and is getting nothing in return except for the fuzzy satisfaction that they've made some Virginians happy, which is not likely to fly very well.
Yeah!  Who cares about the people in Virginia, we can't let Joe Republic lose a state!

If you had read other posts I've made, you would have noted that I very much care about the thoughts of the Virginian people.  The comment above does not imply that I completely oppose this measure no matter what.  It's only a comment that I'm making to add to the debate; are we not allowed to state the cons of this decision?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 07:36:31 AM »

Does he oppose this, though?  And if so, did he have the same position before becoming Mideast Judge?

Er, why would his reason for opposing this (if he does) matter?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 06:28:17 PM »

Here's a precis of the Senators' attitudes on the bill so far:

In favor/ Allow Virginia to decide
- Sam Spade
- MHS2002
- PBrunsel

Opposed
- Gabu
- Colin Wixted
- MasterJedi
- True Independent
- DanielX

Unclear
- King

I would say that I'm more undecided at the time.  I would prefer to hear what the Virginians have to think and consider all of the arguments from both sides before making up my mind.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 07:24:02 PM »

King told me he's for it and PBrunsel said he was unclear earlier
I think that PBrunsel said that the People of Virginia should be allowed to decide, so I counted him as being in favor.

I think he did but I'm also pretty sure he said he was undecided.

Here's the relevant quote:

I'm on the fense with this one. I would prefer if the people of Virgina would vote on it though.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 08:55:12 PM »

The Mideast region would be totally decimated by this proposal, and by the philosophy behind it since the Mideast was not really drawn based on historical lines anyway. I'm against it.

Okay, so that puts it at... what, 2 Virginians in favor and 2 against?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 09:06:52 PM »

Oh, right, I forgot about Frodo.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 08:36:13 PM »

Well, we certainly haven't had an overwhelming urging from the Virginian people to put Virginia in the Southeast.  Coupled with the population loss that the Mideast would suffer (the Southeast already is pretty much the most active region in politics), I see no way that I will be voting in favor of this bill at this time.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 06:44:56 PM »

Generally, I have tried to stay out of Senate business since I retired, but exactly what is being "reunified" here?  VA was never a part of the Southeastern Region, therefore, it in not being "re" anything with it.  Now, that leaves one remaining possibility, that being reunification with the Confederacy, which does not exist.

Well, as I understood it, they feel that the "true" Southeast is the states that composed the Confederacy in real life, and that our version of the Southeast is missing a state.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 07:04:46 PM »

Given that pretty much every active Virginian has had their say, I don't really think there's all that much more to say about this.

Therefore, I motion to end debate and bring this bill to a vote.

EDIT: Given that I guess I have the power to start the vote...

All in favor of ending debate and commencing voting, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".

---

Aye.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 06:35:36 AM »

As a Virginia resident, I would like to say that I strongly favor remaining in the Mideast, and I hope that my senators take my view into consideration

Okay, so now we're at 3-4, if I'm not mistaken.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 05:17:43 PM »

A majority of the Virginians who responded don't want this transfer to happen and the Mideast will lose a well-populated state.  I really can't see anyone who this will make happy, other than those who feel that the Confederacy should be reunited at all costs.  Therefore...

Nay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »

This bill now has enough votes to fail; senators now have 24 hours to change their vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies