CT Gov: Malloy OUT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:37:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT Gov: Malloy OUT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: CT Gov: Malloy OUT  (Read 21130 times)
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »

I'd assume that Herbst and Lauretti will be the GOP Frontrunners, and that if Wyman chose to run she'd be the Dem favorite, but would face a strong challenge to her based on her being Malloy's second in command.
JMT

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »

State Comptroller Kevin Lembo dropped out of the race for Governor after forming an exploratory committee a few months ago, saying instead that he will run for reelection to his current post. This has insiders in CT believing that Lt. Gov Nancy Wyman may run

http://m.ctpost.com/local/article/Lembo-drops-governor-s-bid-12164535.php
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »

That's pretty surprising. Perhaps Wyman is running after all, or perhaps the race may be tougher for Democrats than it appears. I wouldn't underestimate the chance of a Malloy backlash.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2017, 08:24:38 PM »

Is there potential for a key Independent candidacy here?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:46 PM »

Is there potential for a key Independent candidacy here?

At the very most, a conservative could possibly enter as an Independent and play spoiler to the Republican by getting around 1%. Joe Visconti almost did that in 2014.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »

Erin Stewart would make a good candidate. Her surprisingly large amount of local experience in urban development, homelessness, education, energy, and finances would be very helpful, and I love her volunteerism. She reminds me of Hoover's image as a near-impossibly effective and competent moderate-to-liberal Republican pre-1928.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »

Lt. Gov Nancy Wyman is out.

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-pol-nancy-wyman-not-running-20171116-story.html
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2017, 06:25:48 PM »

Maybe she might run for Governor a number of years from now or even Senator or for the House of Representatives if a seat in Congress opens up.

On Wikipedia, they have a picture of her looking pissed off. Can they find a picture of her smiling?
JMT

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2017, 10:15:12 AM »

Maybe she might run for Governor a number of years from now or even Senator or for the House of Representatives if a seat in Congress opens up.

On Wikipedia, they have a picture of her looking pissed off. Can they find a picture of her smiling?

I guess never say never, but I'd say probably not. She would have been the clear front runner in this race, if she wanted a political promotion this was it. She's also 71 now, so running for higher office in the future beyond 2018 likely won't happen. She said she wanted to spend more time with grandchildren or something like that, I think she's just ready to retire after a long career of public service.

Who Dems will run now, though, is an open question. All the big names (Wyman, Lembo, Kennedy) said no.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »

I honestly think people are underestimating the likelihood of a Republican victory here. Democrats don’t really have a good, solid candidate, and we nutmeggers are very open to the right kind of Republican as governor.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 11:21:52 AM by peenie_weenie »

"why doesn't this woman smile more? they should try to find a picture of here where she looks more motherly and nurturing."
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 12:54:04 PM by choclatechip45 »

I honestly think people are underestimating the likelihood of a Republican victory here. Democrats don’t really have a good, solid candidate, and we nutmeggers are very open to the right kind of Republican as governor.

I thought so too until I saw the results of all the mayor races across the state Democrats flipped a bunch of mayorships in wealthy suburban towns which doesn't make a lot of sense due to Malloy's unpopularity so it definitely is the anti-trump effect. If the wealthy towns vote for the democrat candidate right along with the liberal cities their aren't a whole lot of votes left. Plus the CT GOP has been openly embracing Trump which is a dumb move. I think the race is lean-D.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

"why doesn't this woman smile more? they should try to find a picture of here where she looks more motherly and nurturing."

I'd actually be content with a picture of her looking stern or resolute, but did they really have to use that picture on Wikipedia?
BundouYMB

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2017, 03:41:54 PM by BundouYMB »

I think he had a small window of opportunity because all the big names passed on race which no one expected... that means the state party is casting around for a plan B, and Drew easily could have been that plan B. He has the makings of a credible candidate.

However, I think he squandered this opportunity and made a massive mistake in hitching himself to the Bernie bandwagon. I assume he did this because his fundraising has been atrocious -- he's raised practically nothing -- and he wanted to tap the Bernie small donor network.

I'm sure that will be a moderate help to him, but the flip side is that I can't see the state party rallying around an Our Revolution candidate -- the CT Democratic party has a pretty sizeable moderate wing -- and no matter how you look at it getting support from state party bigwigs is way, way, waaaaaay more useful than whatever he gets from the Bernie network.

Because of this I expect the state party to recruit a different b-list candidate, who will likely be the nominee (and will probably win the general too, since I can't imagine a Republican winning CT during a probable dem wave, even with Malloy's immense unpopularity.)
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2017, 04:20:26 PM by choclatechip45 »

What do you guys think about Dan Drew?

Edit: Changed my wording because "y'all" is unbearably corny coming from someone like myself.

He keeps getting himself involved in stupid scandals making rookie mistakes like using the list of police officers to send out fundraising letters and his chief of staff resigning for making contributions to local DTC's on Team Drew's behalf.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »

What do you guys think about Dan Drew?

Edit: Changed my wording because "y'all" is unbearably corny coming from someone like myself.

He made some people pretty upset in the state party by announcing a run before Malloy had officially declined to run.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2017, 11:50:53 PM »

In a shocker, AG Jepsen is not running for reelection, nor is he running for Governor. The open race for AG may cause some of the Democrats and Republicans currently running for Governor to withdraw and run for AG instead (it led to the Senate for both Lieberman and Blumenthal).

https://ctmirror.org/2017/11/27/a-november-surprise-jepsen-wont-seek-a-third-term-as-ag/
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2017, 12:17:59 AM »

William Tong will be probably be the frontrunner for the AG job. Not sure if he will win since he was favored to win the Stamford Mayors  Democratic Nomination in 2013 and lost. As a Stamford Resident I like Tong and this is probably his best bet for his statewide ambitions.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2017, 03:30:01 PM »

Ned Lamont???

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/Lamont-testing-the-waters-for-governor-12389525.php
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2017, 03:44:30 PM »

The Rightful Senator should run.
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about Lamont running. I don't want Ganim winning the nomination plus no one the democratic side has stood out plus Mattei might run for AG now. Also, he has no links to Malloy which is a good thing. The downside from what I remember from 2010 is that he isn't a good debater and CT really does not like Rich Greenwich people with not a lot of political experience running for statewide office.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2017, 04:22:08 PM »

With AG opening up, Jonathan Harris (D) is looking to drop down.

http://www.dailyructions.com/harris-making-looking-at-ag-race/

Meanwhile:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-joe-ganim-governors-race-financing-20171129-story.html
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »

Chris Mattei (D) is dropping out to run for AG. Democrats are quickly running low on candidates...

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisMatteiCT/status/937715393384161280
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2017, 02:17:44 PM »

Chris Mattei (D) is dropping out to run for AG. Democrats are quickly running low on candidates...

Democrats still have more candidates than they did in 2010 when it was just Malloy and Lamont.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »

Democrats still have more candidates than they did in 2010 when it was just Malloy and Lamont.

Democrats hardly need need an A-lister to win here anyway IMO.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies