CT Gov: Malloy OUT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:53:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT Gov: Malloy OUT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: CT Gov: Malloy OUT  (Read 21132 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2017, 11:00:09 PM »

I didn't realize anybody literally worried over partisan control of a Governorship of any state.

For us political junkies, it wouldn't be strange to be worried about partisan control of a Governorship in an election that will determine the course of redistricting in said state. A lot of offices are opening up in 2018, and it will have a big effect on how competitive the House is.

Other than that, you know what he meant. You're just being facetious.

I hadn't seen this before now. Sorry for a delayed response.

Are you getting into me for being facetious as a fellow user or a moderator? If the former, I understand your concerns if I was overly facetious and thus obnoxious. If the latter, facetiousness has never gotten anyone in trouble before that I know of.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2017, 03:42:37 PM »

Kevin Lembo (D), State Comptroller, is in: "Lembo opens an exploratory campaign for governor"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://ctmirror.org/2017/04/27/lembo-opens-an-exploratory-campaign-for-governor/
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:55 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2017, 05:10:22 PM by Senator Scott »

Democrats need more young candidates which is an argument in Drew's favor, but I don't know much about his politics or whether he's a good candidate. At least he's not tied to Malloy, or is he?

Malloy campaigned with Drew for his reelection campaign in 2015.  I think in some ways Drew sees himself as his 'heir.'
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2017, 05:41:27 PM »

Kevin Lembo (D), State Comptroller, is in: "Lembo opens an exploratory campaign for governor"

https://ctmirror.org/2017/04/27/lembo-opens-an-exploratory-campaign-for-governor/

Just like you predicted. Front runner, IMO
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2017, 05:42:21 PM »

GOP will win this state. NE Dems are so hollowed out right now

What?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2017, 11:27:53 AM by Castro »

Well then, Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim (D) has formed an exploratory committee. It is unclear whether he will be eligible for matching funds, since he is a convicted felon. Let's just say he's a longshot.

https://ctmirror.org/2017/04/28/joe-ganim-to-explore-the-limit-of-second-chances/

Also, I will note that some guys I know in the state party are somewhat pessimistic about this race. This is Lean D at best, and closer to Tossup. 
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 08:46:55 PM »

God, I hope the GOP wins all gubernatorial races in New England except NH. That would be glorious.

But yeah, not going to happen, unfortunately. I think this race is Lean D at best for Republicans, and probably closer to Likely D. Like I said... Malloy won in 2014 by an bigger margin than in 2010, and there is no reason to believe that a more electable Democrat would do worse than him.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2017, 09:04:28 PM »

You will potentially see a lot of Northeastern Republican governors in 2018 despite the Trump midterm election era.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2017, 11:11:51 AM »

Well, typical Northeastern Republican governor (LePage, being, clearly, an exception) is much saner then most party officials and candidates in other parts of US, so i don't see too much "threat" if it happens
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2017, 12:16:18 PM »

Whether MA has a Democratic Governor or not seems irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Republicans are in such a deep hole legislative-wise that Baker's veto is largely symbolic. Democrats also have large majorities in Vermont's legislature, and after the midterms there might be a chance they can either come within a few votes or get a supermajority outright.

As for NH goes, the state has been trending Democratic at the state level, and the Governors office will only have had a Republican in charge for 4 of the past 22 years by 2018, so by that alone I wouldn't call NH anything more than a toss-up in 2018, barring indisputable favorable polling for Sununu.

Overall I think the situation will be better for Democrats in the NE come 2019, but right now, yes, it isn't that great. They've gotten cleaned out over 2 disastrous midterms and an unfavorable presidential election.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »

Whether MA has a Democratic Governor or not seems irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Republicans are in such a deep hole legislative-wise that Baker's veto is largely symbolic. Democrats also have large majorities in Vermont's legislature, and after the midterms there might be a chance they can either come within a few votes or get a supermajority outright.

As for NH goes, the state has been trending Democratic at the state level, and the Governors office will only have had a Republican in charge for 4 of the past 22 years by 2018, so by that alone I wouldn't call NH anything more than a toss-up in 2018, barring indisputable favorable polling for Sununu.

Overall I think the situation will be better for Democrats in the NE come 2019, but right now, yes, it isn't that great. They've gotten cleaned out over 2 disastrous midterms and an unfavorable presidential election.

There are a lot of really conservative Democrats in the MA legislature, so Baker's veto isn't entirely symbolic.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2017, 05:45:12 PM »

Ted Kennedy, Jr., Nancy Wyman, Dan Drew, Kevin Lembo, Jonathan Harris, George Jepsen... This couldn't get much more "potentially" crowded. I wonder if Scott Slifka will run.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »

Ted Kennedy, Jr., Nancy Wyman, Dan Drew, Kevin Lembo, Jonathan Harris, George Jepsen... This couldn't get much more "potentially" crowded. I wonder if Scott Slifka will run.

Jepsen probably isn't going to run, and at this point Wyman probably won't either.

Also, not that people thought he would run, but Rep. Jim Himes just ruled it out.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/2/jim-himes-connecticut-dem-rules-out-gubernatorial-/
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2017, 06:37:14 PM »

Trumbull First Selectman Tim Herbst (R) says he's not running for reelection, and basically says that he'll be announcing a run for Governor next month.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Herbst-will-no-seek-re-election-as-first-selectman-11121121.php

We're probably going to end up with like six Democrats and six Republicans all running.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »

As expected, AG George Jepsen is out: "Jepsen to skip ‘the misery’ of running for governor"

https://ctmirror.org/2017/05/11/jepsen-to-skip-the-misery-of-running-for-governor/

FairBol
United States

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:16 PM »

Well then, Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim (D) has formed an exploratory committee. It is unclear whether he will be eligible for matching funds, since he is a convicted felon. Let's just say he's a longshot.

From what I've heard, Ganim won't be eligible for matching funds. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2017, 11:26:33 PM »

GOP will win this state. NE Dems are so hollowed out right now

I sure hope so.  :-/
FairBol
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2017, 11:31:27 PM »

God, I hope the GOP wins all gubernatorial races in New England except NH. That would be glorious.

But yeah, not going to happen, unfortunately. I think this race is Lean D at best for Republicans, and probably closer to Likely D. Like I said... Malloy won in 2014 by an bigger margin than in 2010, and there is no reason to believe that a more electable Democrat would do worse than him.

I really beg to differ here.  Fellow "Connecticut Yankees" that I talk to are quite sick of Democrats having unchallenged control of Hartford (the state has been in Democratic hands since the 1960s).  There is a large appetite for change, the kind of change that Republicans will bring.  And just to point out....Democrats have been running this state into the ground lately....don't just take my word for it, ask former employees of GE.  If the GOP can't win the governor's mansion this time, then I don't know when they'll ever win it.  Sad
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2017, 12:44:25 AM by cinyc »

From what I've heard, Ganim won't be eligible for matching funds.  

From what I've heard, Ganim might sue about that.

Edit:  Ganim asked the Connecticut Elections Enforcement Commission for a declaratory judgment that he should be able to receive public funds.  The Commision has published a declaratory ruling finding against him - no public funds for criminals.  There is still time for comment, though, and the final judgment won't go in force until mid-June.  

My guess is Ganim will appeal - and hopefully lose.  But with Connecticut's liberal judiciary, you never know.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »

On the down-low....

....I have it from a reliable source that CT State Senator Tony Hwang (R) WILL NOT be running for governor next year, preferring to focus on a run for federal office (possibly Congress). 
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »

On the down-low....

....I have it from a reliable source that CT State Senator Tony Hwang (R) WILL NOT be running for governor next year, preferring to focus on a run for federal office (possibly Congress). 

Whose district is he in? I can understand not wanting to be CT Governor, but I really can't understand thinking that you have a shot at knocking off any of the CT Congresscritters.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »

That would be Jim Himes' district. 
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2017, 03:57:30 AM »

That would be Jim Himes' district. 
He would have a better shot winning the governorship even though he lacks name recognition. I live in Himes district and would be surprised if a republican were to beat him with a republican in the White House especially  with how unpopular Trump is in the district. Since George W Bush being unpopular was  Shays downfall plus with Obama's big turnout. The district is more blue than it was in '08.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »

Himes is my Congressman, he's not losing.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2017, 03:35:46 PM »

Himes is my Congressman, he's not losing.

He's more vulnerable than like, Rosa. But agreed, he's in that seat for as long as he wants it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies