DeVos undoes Obama student loan protections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:45:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeVos undoes Obama student loan protections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DeVos undoes Obama student loan protections  (Read 868 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-11/devos-undoes-obama-student-loan-protections
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »

DeVos is punishing the college educated for not voting for Trump

The perfect way to lose more of them.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »

Amazing how these early "policy victories" from the Trump administration seem laser-focused around alienating various groups of people and generally screwing them over. I mean, maybe for some of these conservatives can make a rational case for, but the optics are terrible. Repealing a regulation designed to prevent investors from scamming old people, or undoing protections for student loans, or allowing companies to pollute rivers. I mean really, this is just giving Democrats more and more ammo to use in 2018 & 2020.

As for this one, and I'm sure many others over the next few years, future Democratic administrations can just reinstate them whenever they take back power.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »

As for this one, and I'm sure many others over the next few years, future Democratic administrations can just reinstate them whenever they take back power.

This one they could. But unfortunately, the regulations being repealed under the Congressional Review Act (e.g. river pollution) can't be re-instated, even in a modified form. That's part of the law.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »

This one they could. But unfortunately, the regulations being repealed under the Congressional Review Act (e.g. river pollution) can't be re-instated, even in a modified form. That's part of the law.

Right - I meant mostly regulations rolled back by Trump's administration going forward. There is a time limit to the CRA and what regulations it can repeal permanently, and I think we're coming close to it or maybe already there. Unfortunately (from my perspective, anyway), Republicans did manage to repeal a number of very beneficial regulations with it.

There is one idea I saw mentioned a few weeks ago: Trump's administration could begin faux-implementation of regulations Republicans want to preemptively ban, and then use the CRA to repeal them, thus achieving their goal. For existing regulations, Trump could roll them back, then re-implement to allow CRA usage. It's kind of a hack, but not prohibited. So far I don't think this idea has caught fire.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »

Trump's policies can basically be boiled down to "f--k poor people amirite"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:11:17 PM »

Can't they just be passed again by Congress?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »

Oh, great.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »

The DeVos family are just an evil bunch.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »

I believe acts like this go beyond mere ignorance or lack of understanding. Something more sinister is going on. I think some very wealthy people, like DeVos, are driven in part by contempt. They enjoy the thought of the poor (and middle class, in some cases) struggling, and feel as though they deserve it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 10:35:03 PM »

I believe acts like this go beyond mere ignorance or lack of understanding. Something more sinister is going on. I think some very wealthy people, like DeVos, are driven in part by contempt. They enjoy the thought of the poor (and middle class, in some cases) struggling, and feel as though they deserve it.

Wow .... that sounds evil.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 12:33:42 AM »

How is that sinister? Rigid social hierarchy is the natural order, although admittedly it is rather vulgar to have one without a monarchy and landed nobility.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 01:28:00 AM »

How is that sinister? Rigid social hierarchy is the natural order, although admittedly it is rather vulgar to have one without a monarchy and landed nobility.
The more you post, the more horrified most sane people get.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 01:30:36 AM »

Let's thanks Betsy, under Obama, every was praising the student loan system, there was no criticism of it at all, no siree, it was understood that nothing could go wrong under Dear Leader Obama. Now that the Donald is in charge the scales have fallen from our eyes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 01:31:50 AM »

Actually, no. I've realized that causing outrage is exactly what Santander wants, so I'm not gonna give him the satisfaction. The only emotional reaction worth gracing him with is contempt.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »

Actually, no. I've realized that causing outrage is exactly what Santander wants, so I'm not gonna give him the satisfaction. The only emotional reaction worth gracing him with is contempt.
If you think that's his motivation, it seems to me that pity would be more appropriate than contempt.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 07:44:59 AM »

The real question is why are students borrowing so much for college? Borrowing makes sense if you know that you are entering a high-paying career after school. That was the case for my daughter who graduated with a lot of debt, but also came out with a job well above the median salary so she has the ability to pay the loans. Heavy borrowing doesn't make sense if you aren't certain about your career future. My son didn't have the certainty of a career that his sister did. He went to a state school and commuted from home for the first two years, but he'll graduate without debt.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 09:50:17 AM »

In short, college is the least bad among bad options; it is over-promoted by misinformed elders, public institutions, and government-backed creditors hawking debt indiscriminately and who can profit off of most loans even among those student-debtors who will make bad choices or otherwise struggle to pay them back; and it is selected by inexperienced adolescents with limited information and who will be subjected to a great deal of economic volatility throughout their careers. Here's my question: Why would anyone not expect this to leave a good chunk of young people in the dust?

I think this was part of my question, and it's certainly part of the answer. I did work extensively with students, but it was at a state school designed to provide degrees without creating heavy debt on the student. Even so, I agree that more can and should be done to lower the risk of debt created to attend public universities. I don't think either Obama's order or DeVos' repeal addresses this.

My follow up question is how can we better educate adolescents to make better decisions and not see college debt as the only path to a valuable career?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies