Ron' and Dick for '76: The Rebirth of American Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:30:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Ron' and Dick for '76: The Rebirth of American Politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron' and Dick for '76: The Rebirth of American Politics  (Read 832 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2016, 07:19:49 PM »

"Hello! We have some breaking news coming out of Kansas City tonight! On the third ballot, Governor Ronald Reagan has won the Republican nomination!!! Despite having Dick Schweiker as his running mate, Reagan has convinced the Mississippi and other southern delegations to vote for him. This is the first time an incumbent president has lost his party's nomination since 1884. Wait, President Ford is going to address the convention!"

President Gerald Ford about to address the Convention.

"...Though I am personally bummed out I didn't win, I'm proud of the campaign we've run, together. We must get ahead and push trough personal differences. Governor Reagan and I share a common trait, we are conservatives and do not wish to see our country flounder. We must unite and defeat The liberalization of America, we must bring it forward, I humbly endorse Governor Reagan for the presidency, and he is qualified fully!..."

"Thanks, Jerry! You're a great guy, ran a great campaign! Lets make America Great again, together! Let's all unite and keep American jobs here, not surrender to the threat of communism! We will restore conservative values and not let inexperience guide the nation, so I ask of every Republican, every Democrat, every independent... every American.. please vote for me, to restore normalcy to the Presidency!..."

REAGAN/SCHWEIKER VS CARTER/MONDALE FOR '76!!!!

mianfei
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 04:10:46 AM »

Likely electoral map:

Reagan would even in 1976 have been able to challenge Carter in the south, especially with the opposition of the ticket to gun control - Louisiana and Mississippi might well have been closer than in any actual election (and remember that in MS Carter's two actual elections are the two closest on record). Although I am not sure if Reagan would have not been too extreme to hold Oregon and Washington, and doubt that with the economy as it was in 1976 he could have held Maine given that it was the poorest state (adjusting for cost of living) in the Union and would have feared his economic policies of a free-market Republican like Reagan (although the Pine Tree State did reject Mondale and dukakis quite firmly in 1984 and 1988)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies