Gnosticism, or mainstream Catholic/Orthodox/Anglican/Protestant Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:57:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Gnosticism, or mainstream Catholic/Orthodox/Anglican/Protestant Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Which do you: like better / identify with better / feel rings more "true" / seems more compassionate?
Gnosticism

mainstream Catholic/Orthodox/Anglican/Protestant Christianity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Gnosticism, or mainstream Catholic/Orthodox/Anglican/Protestant Christianity?  (Read 4033 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »

As to the opening question... Borges's "Defense of Basilides the False" is good.

I have not read that one. Why do you think it good?

Because its cosmogony is one where the creation of our world is one brief scene in an epochal drama. In this vision, man doesn't endure evil in the hope of becoming good, but endures obscurity in the hope of becoming significant.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »

As to the opening question... Borges's "Defense of Basilides the False" is good.

I have not read that one. Why do you think it good?

Because its cosmogony is one where the creation of our world is one brief scene in an epochal drama. In this vision, man doesn't endure evil in the hope of becoming good, but endures obscurity in the hope of becoming significant.

Sounds a lot like a Gnostic Christian who gains Gnosis. Almost a rebirth when ones true self is found.

This speaks to that.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QI3nlinYQ

Gnosis leads to understanding the truth spoken of in this link which shows how we invent our Gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ1PDxeUynA

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »

Sounds a lot like a Gnostic Christian who gains Gnosis.

More accurately, a proto-post-modern disciple of Schopenhauer, who found the one religion that is overbearingly dark, rather than overbearingly light.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »

Sounds a lot like a Gnostic Christian who gains Gnosis.

More accurately, a proto-post-modern disciple of Schopenhauer, who found the one religion that is overbearingly dark, rather than overbearingly light.

Better a truth that is thought dark than a bright lie.

I have no idea who you refer to with your, "a proto-post-modern disciple of Schopenhauer,"

Normal words would express whatever your meaning was better.

Perhaps that was not your intent.

Regards
DL

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2017, 10:36:14 AM »

I have no idea who you refer to with your, "a proto-post-modern disciple of Schopenhauer,"

Of course not: when communicating knowledge, one must employ the symbols of the learned.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2017, 11:13:17 AM by Greatest I am »

Of course not: when communicating knowledge, one must employ the symbols of the learned.

The learned explain what they mean and do not just throw labels around, but you have shown that my ---- "Perhaps that was not your intent." --------- was right on the mark.

That makes you the mark.

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »

The learned explain what they mean and do not just throw labels around, but you have show  that my "Perhaps that was not your intent." was right on the mark.

Perhaps if your intention was to learn, you would read a book (or a Wikipedia article) once in a while, rather than begging someone with authority to spoonfeed you via YouTube video.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »

The learned explain what they mean and do not just throw labels around, but you have show  that my "Perhaps that was not your intent." was right on the mark.

Perhaps if your intention was to learn, you would read a book (or a Wikipedia article) once in a while, rather than begging someone with authority to spoonfeed you via YouTube video.

I do not recognize you as authoritative.

If you do not what it takes to give a synopsis of what you want me to know, that is your problem and not mine.

Informing was not your intent. Character assassination was.

We are done here as I already have an anal orifice. No need for you to follow me further here.

Regards
DL
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »

IMO once you demote God from an utterly transcendent, omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent entity to a mere being among other beings, you undermine the best reasons to believe in God in the first place.
You should believe in what you think is true... not play "Make-A-God"

I agree. That's sort of the point. What reason is there to think a God who is a mere being actually exists?

God could be incredibly powerful, knowing, etc... but not this infinite magic power/knowledge level.

Some could call the state of the universe as evidence.

But the point is, if we learn at the moment of death what God's true nature is, and it's almost exactly what you thought, but not omnipotent or omniscient... wouldn't you still follow God and call God "God"? Do you love God, or do you love power and knowledge?

God's existence is most clearly knowable as the source of the universe, why there is something rather than nothing and why regularity exists. It makes no sense to then conclude that the God who created the cosmos and sustains it in existence is not all powerful over his creation. It would be analogous to arguing JR Tolkien isn't all powerful over Middle Earth.

As for your question, I would follow if said being is omnibenevolent, but such a being would not be, nor would I call it, God. It would merely be a sort of mega angel, though nevertheless worthy of our love.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »

[

God's existence is most clearly knowable as the source of the universe, why there is something rather than nothing and why regularity exists. It makes no sense to then conclude that the God who created the cosmos and sustains it in existence is not all powerful over his creation.

Are you saying that God, is our sustainer?

If so, why does he sustain us by having man produce the abominations that you see in this link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-nHw0_Fos&feature=player_embedded

Regards
DL
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »

Eastern Orthodoxy is where it's at, y'all
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2017, 07:03:06 AM »

I prefer Copticism or Messianic Judaism, myself.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »

I prefer....Messianic Judaism

Most actual Jewish people would take issue with that.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies