Berkeley Police Department firing stun grenades against political opposition? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:01:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Berkeley Police Department firing stun grenades against political opposition? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Berkeley Police Department firing stun grenades against political opposition?  (Read 5360 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: April 17, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »

Wait ... did I sleep through some constitutional amendment that says people with abhorrent views no longer have the right to free speech? Because even assuming these rightwingers are unrepentant Nazis, I don't see why that precludes them from having a free speech rally.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »

Germany shows us why it isn't enough to simply have words that say free speech exists; you need courts that are willing to enforce these provisions and people willing to stand for these rights, as we are fortunate enough to have in the United States.

Yeah, I mean in the 1800s demanding the immediate uncompensated liberation of slaves technically "infringed upon the rights of others". To convict someone of a crime here there typically needs to be both a guilty mind (mens rea) AND a guilty act (actus reus). I can think and say I want to genocide the furries, but until i take an active step to do so, no one's rights have been infringed and no act has occurred. Thought crime is an evil concept.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »

Wait ... did I sleep through some constitutional amendment that says people with abhorrent views no longer have the right to free speech? Because even assuming these rightwingers are unrepentant Nazis, I don't see why that precludes them from having a free speech rally.

looks like a free speech rally to me. ah yes, the noble nazi salute, that free speech symbol.

funny how every symbol of free speech seems to be a swastika or an apartheid south africa flag but when the red flag is flown it's a symbol of authoritarianism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromberg_v._California

"Stromberg v. California was a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court ruled 7–2 that a 1919 California law banning red flags was unconstitutional because it violated the First and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. "

I don't see what your point is. If this had been advertised as a free speech rally and people brought red flags and burned American flags and chanted death to America, it would still be a free speech rally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies