British House of Lords
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:06:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  British House of Lords
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Keep it in current form

Only life peers

Life peers should be elected as well

Life peers should be elected, but keep elected hereditary peers too

Restore all hereditary peers

Abolish the House altogether

Other (pls specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: British House of Lords  (Read 1602 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2017, 05:17:59 AM »

When I'm referring to life peers being elected, I mean electing representative peers like currently remaining 92 hereditaries (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_hereditary_peers_under_the_House_of_Lords_Act_1999), or, historically, representative Peers from Scotland and Ireland (with only English and British Peers having automatic seats in the Lords).

Discuss.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 09:32:43 AM by Frodo »

Preferably abolished, but if they do insist on keeping it, I'd rather they turn it into the British version of our Senate, with equal representation for each county (metropolitan and non-metropolitan alike) to counterbalance the House of Commons with ever-changing district boundaries.  

Here is a map of what I have in mind:

There would be two senators each from London, Cumbria, Northumberland, Herefordshire, Devon, Cornwall, Kent, etc.  
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »

Keep it as it is, but reduce its power even more.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:46:09 AM »

Let life peers die out and stop new appointments. Restore hereditary peers' right to sit in the House of Lords, but do not grant any new peerages except for to members of the Royal Family as needed, and the customary Earldom to former British Prime Ministers and Viscountcy to former Commonwealth realm Prime Ministers.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »

Abolish (normal/sane).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »

Ideally: abolish the thing altogether.

Realistically (since it's very unlikely we see it abolished anytime soon): representative (elected) peers only, whether life or hereditary.

Let life peers die out and stop new appointments. Restore hereditary peers' right to sit in the House of Lords, but do not grant any new peerages except for to members of the Royal Family as needed, and the customary Earldom to former British Prime Ministers and Viscountcy to former Commonwealth realm Prime Ministers.

One problem, dear chap. Former Commonwealth realms Prime Ministers were not getting a customary Viscountcies. I can only think of R. B. Bennett accepting it and actually moving to England. It would be quite interesting to see large Commonwealth countries remaining under the Crown such as Canada or Australia having their own peers with own House of Lords (like Irish House of Lords, functioning until the Act of Union), but otherwise it makes zero sense, for times when Canadians or Australians view themselves as part of the bigger imperial family less than fully sovereign countries is long gone.

Viscountcies were customary, but for former Speakers of the House. People say "hereditary peers were being created again under Thatcher", but aside of William Whitelaw, those were just old customary peerages revived. Macmillan had an Earldom promised as early as 1960s but only took it in the 80s. George Thomas, a former Speaker, was created Viscount. Only the Earldom of Stockton (Macmillan's title) is still extant. Viscountcies for Whitelaw and Thomas were always seen as de facto life peerages, since they had no heirs.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »

One problem, dear chap. Former Commonwealth realms Prime Ministers were not getting a customary Viscountcies. I can only think of R. B. Bennett accepting it and actually moving to England.
I also believe it should be the ambition of every Commonwealth PM to sit in the House of Lords after they leave office barring poor health or other extenuating circumstances. Republicans like Julia Gillard should obviously be denied such a privilege. I also believe that Governors-General should be appointed from London and that the independent honors systems in the Commonwealth realms should be abolished. The countries themselves can remain independent, as I think this actually magnifies imperial glory and placates the little people over their petty local issues like marginal tax rates or Aboriginal fishing rights.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »

One problem, dear chap. Former Commonwealth realms Prime Ministers were not getting a customary Viscountcies. I can only think of R. B. Bennett accepting it and actually moving to England.
I also believe it should be the ambition of every Commonwealth PM to sit in the House of Lords after they leave office barring poor health or other extenuating circumstances. Republicans like Julia Gillard should obviously be denied such a privilege. I also believe that Governors-General should be appointed from London and that the independent honors systems in the Commonwealth realms should be abolished. The countries themselves can remain independent, as I think this actually magnifies imperial glory and placates the little people over their petty local issues like marginal tax rates or Aboriginal fishing rights.

Yeah, I'm sure a Quebec resident would be placated with this...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »

I think we should have a caste system.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:41:56 AM »

Abolish this, as Paul Keating called our Senate "Unrepresentative swill"
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »

And as an absolute minimum, Canada should be forced to restore this as its national flag.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 01:57:29 PM »

And as an absolute minimum, Canada should be forced to restore this as its national flag.

And give up Newfoundland, which should be again administered from London.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:22 PM »

Replace it with some form of democratically​ elected chamber, I'd like to see a Dutch/Israeli style House of Whatever-os, but anything would be better than the mess that is the Lords
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »

Preferably abolished, but if they do insist on keeping it, I'd rather they turn it into the British version of our Senate, with equal representation for each county (metropolitan and non-metropolitan alike) to counterbalance the House of Commons with ever-changing district boundaries.  

There would be two senators each from London, Cumbria, Northumberland, Herefordshire, Devon, Cornwall, Kent, etc.  

God, that's the worst possible idea. Shocked
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »

God, that's the worst possible idea. Shocked

Why? What's wrong with it?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies