Should taxes on the upper middle class be raised?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:03:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should taxes on the upper middle class be raised?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: See question in thread title
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Should taxes on the upper middle class be raised?  (Read 1493 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
« edited: April 17, 2017, 10:41:59 AM by PR »

Let's be honest - the extensive welfare state that left-liberal Americans want for the country could not be paid for solely through tax increases on the "1 percent." Not even close.

Oddly enough, I actually do agree with the (ugh) "skin in the game" talking point of the Right, but only because people should have a real stake (financial and otherwise) in what the government does. Some of the worst, most dysfunctional governments have very low taxes on their population (see: Saudi Arabia - relying on revenues from exports of national resources generally isn't wise, even less so for a representative democracy). What incentive do people have to support such governments? Well, other than systemic political repression ofc.

Anyway, my answer should be obvious.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:49 AM »

Define upper middle class.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 11:37:15 AM by Old School Republican »

Of Course Not ( I also support cutting government spending not increasing it)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »

Ideally not, if it can be avoided.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 12:00:36 PM »

i think taxes on income and consumption (in certain areas, gas comes to mind) should be higher. taxes on corporations should be lowered, even if that is largely offset by removing certain deductions.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »

Yes, absolutely.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »

"Upper Middle Class" is a very broad term. If you mean those making around $90,000 - $150,000 (A Common Definition), then it all depends on what tax. I believe that the gas tax should be raised, which is technically raising taxes on the upper middle class. The income tax? Likely not. I think that systematic tax reform is needed, and shouldn't involve raising taxes on these folks.

In the end, I think that a promise to "never raise taxes on the middle class, nor anyone" is stupid and impractical, but I believe that we should make an attempt to lower the cost of living for these (and especially those with lesser income) folks, through decreasing the price of healthcare, making energy more affordable and greener, and through establishing childcare as a universal right.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »

Yes (upper middle class).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »

Lemme get to that point, and then I'll let'cha know.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 03:39:03 PM »

"Upper Middle Class" is a very broad term. If you mean those making around $90,000 - $150,000 (A Common Definition), then it all depends on what tax. I believe that the gas tax should be raised, which is technically raising taxes on the upper middle class. The income tax? Likely not. I think that systematic tax reform is needed, and shouldn't involve raising taxes on these folks.

In the end, I think that a promise to "never raise taxes on the middle class, nor anyone" is stupid and impractical, but I believe that we should make an attempt to lower the cost of living for these (and especially those with lesser income) folks, through decreasing the price of healthcare, making energy more affordable and greener, and through establishing childcare as a universal right.

1. No it is not technically - it is effectively.

2. Those making >$100,000 a year are the top one percent in Arkansas.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »

There are other tax options we should be exploring, such as eco taxes and a land value tax, before we consider raising income taxes. But if we're going to promote the "skin in the game" concept then we also need to fight for true universal social welfare benefits that don't help just the poor, but all Americans. Universal healthcare with either single payer or a public option, paid parental leave, tuition free public universities, a universal basic income to replace most current welfare benefits, and so on. Make as many people pay and ensure as many people benefit as possible. That's how you create popular programs that actually work.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »

Yes. These people should really be called the lower rich.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 04:00:20 PM »

1. No it is not technically - it is effectively.

2. Those making >$100,000 a year are the top one percent in Arkansas.

1. Well, my assumption was that since we are talking about a specific group of people it would be an individual tax (based on income, not consumption) on these people. So since a petrol tax would be a tax on everyone that uses petrol, it would be technically and effectively a tax on the "upper middle income" folks.

2. While it is lower than the national average (actually the lowest in the country), the top one percent of Arkansas is closer to $250,000. So, yes what "upper middle income" means, varies, state by state. But $100,000 is still not 1% in Arkansas, and (I believe) would fall under upper middle income.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »

No way.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »

Yes. These people should really be called the lower rich.

Lower rich? When 1% of the country owns 80-90% percent of the wealth? No one that makes below 250,000 a year is rich. Hell, I would put it at a million.

And sure, raise taxes, but there better be universal health care. Not just a random tax increase to pad Raytheon stock.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »

where's Non Swing Voter, you're going to make him cry.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »

Definitely, not a lot, but definitely a bit.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »

The cap on social security should be removed.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »

Definitely, not a lot, but definitely a bit.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 08:43:16 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 08:45:33 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Not really? I'm from an upper-middle class family and I do support a relatively progressive tax structure, so I am in favor of having the upper-middle class shoulder a higher proportion of the the tax burden than the classes below them, but the upper-middle class as commonly envisioned already has the short end of the stick on income taxes. You'd need to redefine the income brackets if you wanted to pursue the progressive agenda of taxing the rich, because simply raising the taxes on the current highest income bracket hits the top 5% harder than the top 1%. We should also be engaging in a more widespread reform of taxes beyond just the income tax as well.

So no because 1. By increasing taxes on the upper-middle class under the current system, you're actually proportionally decreasing the amount the wealthiest echelon of society is contributing 2. Income tax is only part of the picture for reducing wealth inequality. 3. The upper-middle class already gets shafted by the current tax structure.

I do support a keeping a progressive tax structure though.
Libertarian in Name Only
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »

Not really? I'm from an upper-middle class family and I do support a relatively progressive tax structure, so I am in favor of having the upper-middle class shoulder a higher proportion of the the tax burden than the classes below them, but the upper-middle class as commonly envisioned already has the short end of the stick on income taxes. You'd need to redefine the income brackets if you wanted to pursue the progressive agenda of taxing the rich, because simply raising the taxes on the current highest income bracket hits the top 5% harder than the top 1%. We should also be engaging in a more widespread reform of taxes beyond just the income tax as well.

So no because 1. By increasing taxes on the upper-middle class under the current system, you're actually proportionally decreasing the amount the wealthiest echelon of society is contributing 2. Income tax is only part of the picture for reducing wealth inequality. 3. The upper-middle class already gets shafted by the current tax structure.

I do support a keeping a progressive tax structure though.
Out of curiosity, what $ would you consider upper middle class in MA?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 02:52:27 AM »

Yeah, lets screw over the guys already getting screwed over the most by taxes.  Did you guys run out of made up taxes to screw the poor and lower middle class over with?  Perhaps something on disposable diapers (ya know, to save the environment)?  You already tax the sh**t out of the only things they can legally enjoy (beer and smokes), why not soda too?

If you guys hate the poor, hate the middle class, love war and violence...what part of the left is left?  Ahhh, the dumbass switch to a focus on identity politics...of course.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 04:29:10 AM »

I've been nursing a 12 pack since the beginning of April, so I don't think so.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies