VA-PPP: Northam leads in the primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:31:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-PPP: Northam leads in the primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VA-PPP: Northam leads in the primary  (Read 2549 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
« edited: April 17, 2017, 10:55:15 AM by heatcharger »

Link.

Among registered voters:

Northam 38%
Perriello 25%

Among likely voters:

Northam 42%
Perriello 28%
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »

Whoa, that's a huge divergence from the Q poll.  It looks like undecideds might be breaking massively in Northam's favor.  Still, we should probably wait for more data points before coming to a definitive conclusion.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:09:38 AM »

Should be noted that this poll was conducted on behalf of the VEA, which endorsed Northam.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »

Should be noted that this poll was conducted on behalf of the VEA, which endorsed Northam.

I would hope they wouldn't fraudulently change 24% of voters in Northam's benefit.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »

I would hope they wouldn't fraudulently change 24% of voters in Northam's benefit.

PPP wouldn't manipulate its results like that, but it's good to know who's paying for these numbers.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »

PPP wouldn't manipulate its results like that, but it's good to know who's paying for these numbers.

But it's similar logic to any other internal: The group that pays for the poll decides if it becomes public or not, and they won't make it public if it shows a bad result for their candidate.  So even if it's a well done poll, who's to say that they didn't have some other pollster poll the race last week, and they chose to release this one rather than the other one because this one has a more Northam-friendly sample?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »

But it's similar logic to any other internal: The group that pays for the poll decides if it becomes public or not, and they won't make it public if it shows a bad result for their candidate.  So even if it's a well done poll, who's to say that they didn't have some other pollster poll the race last week, and they chose to release this one rather than the other one because this one has a more Northam-friendly sample?

Selective release is separate from direct manipulation of data. Both may be used to get a beneficial result, but one includes legitimate polling while the other is fraudulent. It's a good reason to be wary with internals, but given a credible polling org it should still be a result within reasonable bounds.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 07:34:03 PM »

Junk poll!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »

Self described "fiscal conservative" Northam shouldn't have a place in the Democratic party.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 08:35:43 PM »

Oh, of course. I just wouldn't discount the poll for possible selection (((fraud))).

Self described "fiscal conservative" Northam shouldn't have a place in the Democratic party.

Yeah, the way we bring back the party is through systematic removal of certain voters because of their past voting history. While we're at it, let's take out all of the people who are possibly a Social Conservative or Moderate on any issue. Showing that we'll discount only those that are not "All librul all the time", is  the way we'll cleanse the party of all this scum, and really bring back the Democratic Party!
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »

Booo!
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 02:25:32 PM »

SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 02:29:34 PM »

Oh, of course. I just wouldn't discount the poll for possible selection (((fraud))).

Yeah, the way we bring back the party is through systematic removal of certain voters because of their past voting history. While we're at it, let's take out all of the people who are possibly a Social Conservative or Moderate on any issue. Showing that we'll discount only those that are not "All librul all the time", is  the way we'll cleanse the party of all this scum, and really bring back the Democratic Party!

^ Agree with the response. As for the bolded, the purity tests and purges are how the GOP got into its present fix. Both parties need to moderate.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »

Boo.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 09:09:38 PM »

^ Agree with the response. As for the bolded, the purity tests and purges are how the GOP got into its present fix. Both parties need to moderate.

"Its present fix" where it essentially controls the entire federal government?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »

Purity tests and purges are how the GOP got into its present fix. Both parties need to moderate.

I think he's referring to the constant dysfunctionality and inability to govern.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:13 PM »

Purity tests and purges are how the GOP got into its present fix. Both parties need to moderate.

I think he's referring to the constant dysfunctionality and inability to govern.

In any case, I don't agree that the Democratic Party should purge all fiscal conservatives, but I do think that in a Virginia Democratic gubernatorial primary where either candidate looks strong in the general, it makes sense to want to avoid voting for a candidate who described themselves as "fiscally conservative," or at least count that as a mark against them.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 11:26:26 PM »

Controlling the house, senate, presidency, legislatures from oblivion of 08'?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 11:30:55 PM »

You say that as if moderation = better governing abilities.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »

In any case, I don't agree that the Democratic Party should purge all fiscal conservatives, but I do think that in a Virginia Democratic gubernatorial primary where either candidate looks strong in the general, it makes sense to want to avoid voting for a candidate who described themselves as "fiscally conservative," or at least count that as a mark against them.

I wish Northam was just running for reelection as Lt Gov tbh.

Controlling the house, senate, presidency, legislatures from oblivion of 08'?

He's talking about their intra-party dysfunction, and as far as the GOP's political power goes, they probably owe a lot more of that to their scorched earth policy against Obama than to ideological purity. If this was about True Conservatives™, why do we have Trump, and why is his rebuttal of certain conservative positions going over well with these Republicans who were supposed to be hungry for pure conservatives? The Republican Party is where it is today for other reasons than just that one.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2017, 02:35:01 PM by VirginiaModerate »

I was referring to the demographic fix that the GOP has gotten itself into and, yes, the fact that it can't do much due to Freedom Caucus and pure-conservative types that just block everything, not that I was against blocking the terrible AHCA.

Also, the fact that most of America lies neither in the True Conservatives or True Liberals camps but in between.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 10:21:56 PM »

This. Democrats are supposed to be the party of the left, they are hurting their own base by wanting to pretend to be Republican-lite.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 10:30:11 PM »

This. Democrats are supposed to be the party of the left, they are hurting their own base by wanting to pretend to be Republican-lite.
FDR didn't ever say that he wanted a tiny tent Democratic Party. Tongue
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »

FDR also vigorously primaried (or at least attempted to) conservative Democrats who opposed his agenda.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »

FDR also vigorously primaried (or at least attempted to) conservative Democrats who opposed his agenda.

FDR also had the advantage that the Republicans were teetering on extinction. Conservative Democrats + Republicans were the de facto opposition, and even then that was a small caucus.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies