Trump is the earthquake, shaking up the foundation of our country.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:20:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump is the earthquake, shaking up the foundation of our country.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump is the earthquake, shaking up the foundation of our country.  (Read 2098 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:39:58 PM »

And I'm going to give him some kudos for this because we needed to be shaken up and out of our complacency.

Even though the guy is making my hair turn gray quickly, and even though he turns my stomach and gives me headaches, he's shaking the foundations of our political atmosphere.

My hope is that something good will come from all this turmoil. If nothing else, Trump and his administration is/are going to make so many people so angry that there is going to be a revolt, the likes of which our country has never seen.

And we, the people, are going to demand responsibility for our public servants in Wash DC and also around the country.

Whatever the politicians in power try to do to make it easier for the 1% and harder for the rest of us average guys in our country, I hope the revolt is LOUD and clear. And it's brewing, make no mistake.

Clean up your mess of what you call politics or out you go! We aren't kidding this time.

(Rant over)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »

If you're interested, this video explains our era and what's to come very well. I've read his works from the 90's and the predictions made were very accurate to today's world so there seems to be something to this theory.
Ok Bannon
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 04:08:26 PM »

If you're interested, this video explains our era and what's to come very well. I've read his works from the 90's and the predictions made were very accurate to today's world so there seems to be something to this theory.
Ok Bannon

Bannon seems to understand this era well but is completely oblivious to his and Trumps position in it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »

My worry is that this administration is going to create a big enough world problem/incident, in where it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to go back to a "normal" way of living.
When you give a clown the power to start war (and/or launch nuclear missiles), then you have dramatically increased the probability of massive destruction and death.
PS: A nuclear exchange with Russia will pretty much end all life on this planet.

"Shaking-up" the political structure of our government, is the least of my concerns.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »

They're aware that a crisis may come their way, they're remarkably aware that the country is horribly angry at the elites. What they're not really connecting the dots is that they are now part of the problem, not the solution, and how they are so amazingly lacking in self-awareness is beyond me.

They're like asking to be introduced topolitical reality, everyday, on multiple levels because they don't have any real understanding of history, economics, politics, or institutional needs and the list goes on and on.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »

And I'm going to give him some kudos for this because we needed to be shaken up and out of our complacency.

Even though the guy is making my hair turn gray quickly, and even though he turns my stomach and gives me headaches, he's shaking the foundations of our political atmosphere.

My hope is that something good will come from all this turmoil. If nothing else, Trump and his administration is/are going to make so many people so angry that there is going to be a revolt, the likes of which our country has never seen.

And we, the people, are going to demand responsibility for our public servants in Wash DC and also around the country.

Whatever the politicians in power try to do to make it easier for the 1% and harder for the rest of us average guys in our country, I hope the revolt is LOUD and clear. And it's brewing, make no mistake.

Clean up your mess of what you call politics or out you go! We aren't kidding this time.

(Rant over)

I agree that the (pre-Trum) long term trajectory of the US was not stable. But I disagree that anything good is going to come out of it, now or in the distant future. If we do end up in a better place as a nation or planet, it will be in spite of Trump, not because of him.

If America is a big, old house, with feuding inhabitants and a lot of bad structural problems that are catching up, then Trump is the drunk who is planning on burning the place down so he can collect the insurance money. (And did I mention that winter is coming and he's picked fights with all the neighbors?)

If what we hope for is responsible governance or a population invested in the political process, then despair, Trump represents the exact opposite.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 04:54:25 PM »

At the very least, I'm glad this administration has gotten people interested in politics again. Hopefully people will continue to realize that the Republicans are selling a bill of goods. They stand for two things: short term corporate profits and unsustainable growth. The Democrats have their own problems, but at least they don't see basic regulations as the devil.

I often find myself picturing the two parties using a kind of shorthand.

The Dems want to continue the (unequal, problematic, broken) American capitalist system. They're smart enough to realize that dead or revolting peasants ruins the whole thing, and they're content to give the public enough to keep it mostly healthy and happy while the 1% live their lives of parasitic luxury.

The GOP, on the other hand, have been reduced to cartoon villainy. They'll  will destroy everything as long as they walk away from the ruins  with a hoard of gold, and either doesn't care what problems they're creating, or figure that they can fix anything by throwing some money at it.

Both sides have different ideologies they support because they're useful,  but the above appears to be what their end goals are.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 05:22:25 PM »

What shakeup? Trump is a bog standard GOP politician, just more openly racist.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »

Stage 4: Acceptance.

Now we wait for Virginia to finish Stage 1: Intense Disgust and Brooding Resentment Festering Over an Extended Period of Time Erupting in a Surge of anti-Presidential Rants on Her Forum.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:51:42 PM »

Thanks for the link. It's comforting to know that we're going through a cycle, that we always go through cycles. It's not the end of the world, just the end of the old ways that don't work anymore.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 11:55:52 PM »

(Rant over)

I agree that the (pre-Trum) long term trajectory of the US was not stable. But I disagree that anything good is going to come out of it, now or in the distant future. If we do end up in a better place as a nation or planet, it will be in spite of Trump, not because of him.

If America is a big, old house, with feuding inhabitants and a lot of bad structural problems that are catching up, then Trump is the drunk who is planning on burning the place down so he can collect the insurance money. (And did I mention that winter is coming and he's picked fights with all the neighbors?)

If what we hope for is responsible governance or a population invested in the political process, then despair, Trump represents the exact opposite.

I hope you are wrong.

I agree that if we do end up in a good place, it will be because the people banded together to get things done, not because those who are presently in office (the GOP and Trump) did anything to help us.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:57:37 PM »

I'm fine with the Democratic vision, because it seems to be the system that has worked the best for the United States. Nothing in life is perfect, at least not in real life. I understand that there will always be a 1% that controls the wealth. If they are overthrown, it will likely return soon, anyway, just with different people.

The real goal is to remove as much excess power from them as is practicable, and to make sure that the vast majority of people who are not rich have a good standard of living with an opportunity to advance in life.

I like that. Sounds good to me.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »

Now we wait for Virginia to finish Stage 1: Intense Disgust and Brooding Resentment Festering Over an Extended Period of Time Erupting in a Surge of anti-Presidential Rants on Her Forum.

Do you mean hermit, or Virginia?

A little rant never hurt anybody. Wink
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »

My worry is that this administration is going to create a big enough world problem/incident, in where it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to go back to a "normal" way of living.
When you give a clown the power to start war (and/or launch nuclear missiles), then you have dramatically increased the probability of massive destruction and death.
PS: A nuclear exchange with Russia will pretty much end all life on this planet.

"Shaking-up" the political structure of our government, is the least of my concerns.

...or China, India, Pakistan, Britain, or France. I can think of some other countries that could develop nukes very fast. Japan has had a long aversion to nukes for historical reasons, but it did threaten to get nukes in the event that north Korea got them.  Japan has an excellent scientific and engineering community and the means with which to buy them.

People and nations will do anything to survive against the threat of cold-blooded murder, let alone genocide.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 10:42:08 PM »

Actually, you were worse, but I have sensed some movement and resolution with your acceptance of Trump. I have not seen any evidence that Virginia has cooled her jets yet with regards to Trump.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2017, 10:49:28 PM by Virginia »

Actually, you were worse, but I have sensed some movement and resolution with your acceptance of Trump. I have not seen any evidence that Virginia has cooled her jets yet with regards to Trump.

I was visibly peeved irl immediately after the election but that visceral anger dissipated months ago. Online, I still feel no inhibitions in ranting about what I truly think of Trump. So far, he has done nothing to make me feel less disgusted with him. He's still a corrupt liar and a sexual predator who treats people like trash. Nothing has changed on that front, and I don't feel obligated to accept him in any other form than I do right now: human garbage who in a more just world, probably would have went to prison a long time ago before ever sticking his fat head in politics.

With the way things have been going, if I ever cool off in this regard, it'll likely be from attrition and not any actual change in opinion.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 11:04:45 PM »

I'm sure you might like him if you met him.

After he grabs my pussy shakes my hand, we can share a cool, refreshing spiked drink and discuss what plans he has next for screwing over working class Americans.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »

I was visibly peeved irl immediately after the election but that visceral anger dissipated months ago. Online, I still feel no inhibitions in ranting about what I truly think of Trump. So far, he has done nothing to make me feel less disgusted with him. He's still a corrupt liar and a sexual predator who treats people like trash. Nothing has changed on that front, and I don't feel obligated to accept him in any other form than I do right now: human garbage who in a more just world, probably would have went to prison a long time ago before ever sticking his fat head in politics.

With the way things have been going, if I ever cool off in this regard, it'll likely be from attrition and not any actual change in opinion.

A friend of mine interviewed Trump for a magazine and she liked him. She said he's "honest." I'm sure in person he can be charming if he wants to be, but that doesn't change all the negative things about him that Virginia so aptly described.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 10:07:37 AM by Reaganfan »

Good. We need it. I think he represents why I've been so out of touch and nostalgic since I was a young kid. I started watching news when? 1993? 1994? That's right around the time of the "globalization" everyone talks about.

I used to wonder "What changed?" and I hear from older people how there used to be more freedoms, less rules, less policies, less restrictions. It seems like the world, for a guy like me, used to be a much better place. If he's the guy to rip the new butthole to all these globalist elites, that is a very good thing.

Teens in High School used to drive during lunch to get McDonalds. Try doing that now and it's like a school-lockdown policy. People used to smoke in waiting rooms, even into the early 90s. Now I'm told I can't (literally) cross a line in the waiting room with a CUP OF COFFEE. A cup of coffee.

Who makes these rules? Who are these freaks? It's time to find them and put them in their place. Trump terrifies them because they've tried to create this world, and people hate it and are rebelling and he's the ultimate threat to it.

It's the angry good guy outrage from films like Falling Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk9IMyP85Ko
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 02:23:47 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

After he grabs my pussy shakes my hand, we can share a cool, refreshing spiked drink and discuss what plans he has next for screwing over working class Americans.

Don't be ridiculous. Trump doesn't plan to screw over working class Americans - he just intends to benefit himself, people he knows, and people whose goodwill he values (i.e. billionaires). That the vast majority of Americans will end up suffering because of what he does is something he does not care about, not something he actively plans for.

Heck, given how incompetent he is, we should hope he plans to screw us over. We'd probably get a better outcome that way.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 10:43:05 AM by Meclazine »

Re: Impotent rage:

I thought it was fantastic. Trust me, Australia has gone the same way.

We just seem to have a lot of soft cases. This is for Reaganfan:

(LANGUAGE WARNING FOR THE KIDDIES)

https://youtu.be/unkIVvjZc9Y

https://youtu.be/k03D9aPTxo4

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »

By most accounts Ted Bundy was a likeable-enough fellow so long as he didn't get you into his VW Bug.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 05:23:48 PM »

Yes, I don't understand why she might be upset that a sexual predator is in charge of her country.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »

Good. We need it. I think he represents why I've been so out of touch and nostalgic since I was a young kid. I started watching news when? 1993? 1994? That's right around the time of the "globalization" everyone talks about.

I used to wonder "What changed?" and I hear from older people how there used to be more freedoms, less rules, less policies, less restrictions. It seems like the world, for a guy like me, used to be a much better place. If he's the guy to rip the new butthole to all these globalist elites, that is a very good thing.

Teens in High School used to drive during lunch to get McDonalds. Try doing that now and it's like a school-lockdown policy. People used to smoke in waiting rooms, even into the early 90s. Now I'm told I can't (literally) cross a line in the waiting room with a CUP OF COFFEE. A cup of coffee.

Who makes these rules? Who are these freaks? It's time to find them and put them in their place. Trump terrifies them because they've tried to create this world, and people hate it and are rebelling and he's the ultimate threat to it.

What an directionless amalgamation of words.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:59 PM »

What an directionless amalgamation of words.

It's pretty horrible when your worldview could be represented by a bowl of spaghetti.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies