SB 2017-068 - Criminal Justice Reform Act 2017 (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:57:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-068 - Criminal Justice Reform Act 2017 (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 2017-068 - Criminal Justice Reform Act 2017 (Final Vote)  (Read 1924 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »

I agree with AZ. In the House, we worked pretty hard to amend this bill and pass it. I ask, as a citizen, to reconsider voting nay.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 08:07:20 PM »

Aye
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »

I will change my vote to Aye.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 07:50:41 AM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »

I object to allowing the vote changes.  Isn't there supposed to be a 72 hour limit on the vote?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »

Mr. PPT?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 03:56:47 PM »

Shoot, sorry about that guys. Yeah, the vote was supposed to end a while ago. Based on when I started the vote, it should have failed 3-0, even though I completely forgot to end the vote. It's unfortunate, but I don't think I can count Scott's vote change or the votes made after I should have ended this.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 01:42:54 AM »

The house passage would still stand. All you need to do is pass the same bill without change, and it would go to the President. It doesn't necessarily die because this iteration failed. So since at least 3 Senators seem to support it now, having made this realization too late to save this one, my recommendation is to reintroduce it as a Senate bill in the Senate's introduction thread.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 02:14:48 AM »

The house passage would still stand. All you need to do is pass the same bill without change, and it would go to the President. It doesn't necessarily die because this iteration failed.
This is correct; when one house passes a bill and it is passed with amendments by the other, the original house has two options: either to pass the amended version (in which case it goes to the president) or to reject the amendments. In the latter case, the second house then holds an immediate up-or-down vote on the original version of the bill which, if passed, goes to the president.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 06:14:20 AM »

The house passage would still stand. All you need to do is pass the same bill without change, and it would go to the President. It doesn't necessarily die because this iteration failed.
This is correct; when one house passes a bill and it is passed with amendments by the other, the original house has two options: either to pass the amended version (in which case it goes to the president) or to reject the amendments. In the latter case, the second house then holds an immediate up-or-down vote on the original version of the bill which, if passed, goes to the president.

Yes, but that is not what happened here. This was a House originated bill, The Senate voted down that House version unaltered. What you are saying would apply if this had been amended and passed by the Senate and then sent back to the House, where it then failed.

The Constitution states that in order for a bill to become law it must pass both houses in the same form and be signed by the President. Nothing in the Constitution would prohibit the Senate, to my knowledge, from considering and a passing a Senate bill worded the exact same way as the House bill. Since the same text would have at that point been passed by both chambers, it would then go to the President and that was my recommendation for how to resolve this situation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies