UK General Election, June 8th 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:21:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, June 8th 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 76
Author Topic: UK General Election, June 8th 2017  (Read 208007 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »

Rumors that Zac Goldsmith will recontest Richmond as a Tory.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2017, 12:57:49 PM »

If May is successful and easily wins the election, Chancellor Kern might try the same and blow up the SPÖVP coalition before or after the summer recess, with snap elections in the fall.
All roads lead to Austria

Also, question, since I didn't really tune in to British politics- would Labour advance Brexit, and how much of a chance do the Lib Dems have to regain some lost strength?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »

The only question is: after the inevitable debacle, will Corbyn have the decency to resign? And if he doesn't, will the Labour base have the sense to throw him out?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »

As I've mentioned somewhere, part of me thinks that Corbyn remains leader to spite Labour at this point. If the Lib Dems can get traction behind them during the campaign as they used to do, coupled with the UKIP having a difficult time trying to relevant, they could claw back those lost voters. The Lib Dems suffered in part from UKIP scooping up the 'not Labour or Tory' vote. Standing old hands in seats they lost actually makes sense.

I don't think Labour have a floor. They have lost seats in the past 4 elections in a row and I expect them to fall further back. There's no chance to No 10 even if they do recover a little without some agreement with the SNP, which requires stepping over any pretend authority they've given SLab.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 01:08:36 PM by Phony Moderate »

Rumors that Zac Goldsmith will recontest Richmond as a Tory.

And there's a reasonable chance that he'll win while several other seats in London turn yellow. The by-election in December of last year may have been tipped by voters who were pissed off at having to vote at that time of the year.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2017, 01:08:34 PM »

As I've mentioned somewhere, part of me thinks that Corbyn remains leader to spite Labour at this point.

oh for the love of god
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »

Corbyn's strategy of not talking about Brexit when May staged it as a Brexit election is perplexing to say at least. I don't think "save the NHS" would carry as much weight as he thinks.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2017, 01:22:04 PM »

Corbyn's strategy of not talking about Brexit when May staged it as a Brexit election is perplexing to say at least. I don't think "save the NHS" would carry as much weight as he thinks.

That slogan was worn out by 1950, in my opinion...
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »

Telegraph News‏Verified account @TelegraphNews  18s18 seconds ago
More
 Ukip to win 'handful' of seats at June election, Paul Nuttall says

Been there done that
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »

In fairness, the NHS crisis this winter was so historically bad that a Kinnock or a Blair (certainly) would have brought the government to it's knees on that one.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »

In fairness, the NHS crisis this winter was so historically bad that a Kinnock or a Blair (certainly) would have brought the government to it's knees on that one.

Oh it's absolutely a legitimate issue, I agree. But the political impact isn't great just saying "Save the NHS" over and over. Remember "48 hours to save the Pound"! Grin Wink
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »

Lol this election was just scheduled, but will still finish before the GA-6 runoff.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 01:44:22 PM by Barnes »

Lol this election was just scheduled, but will still finish before the GA-6 runoff.

And it will still be the longest election campaign in recent memory--just edging out 1997. Wink
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2017, 01:43:53 PM »

More

Been there done that

UKIP can consider itself lucky if they even hold MPs at all after the election
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2017, 01:45:21 PM »

And was a direct result of governmental incompetence. Oh well.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2017, 01:45:43 PM »

More

Been there done that

UKIP can consider itself lucky if they even hold MPs at all after the election

They've already lost their only MP so they're starting at zero!

I do hope this election finally puts a nail in the coffin about the "rise of UKIP" nonsense.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »

And was a direct result of governmental incompetence. Oh well.

This is a pattern, I guess, under Corbyn. The last two budgets have had embarrassing u-turns and the winter health crisis was wholly the Government's fault, and yet in each instance little political advantage is gained by Labour.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2017, 01:48:23 PM »

"Theresa May rules out participating in TV debates before election"

"Jeremy Corbyn says PM should not dodge debates, and Tim Farron calls for broadcasters to ‘empty chair’ her"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/18/theresa-may-rules-out-participating-in-tv-debates-before-election?CMP=share_btn_tw
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 01:53:22 PM by bronz4141 »

A lot of liberal Americans are jealous of the UK today--a snap election. A lot of liberal Americans wish that the U.S. Constitution had a amendment about a "snap election"--to force Trump and Pence out after 100 days!!!

However, midterms (midterm elections) can't come soon enough for some Americans. Other Americans don't even know what a midterm election is. They're busy watching Kardashian.

Some think of the word midterm as a midterm exam in high school or college!!!

If we had a snap election, Democrats would be wise not to run Hillary Clinton again for a snap election. Maybe Kaine, Warren, or Gillibrand.

We do not have a parliamentary system of government in the U.S. This is why America is unique to other countries. 2018, 2020 is on it's way.
EnglishPete

« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »

More

Been there done that
UKIP might have a chance in Hartlepool. It will also be interesting to see what happens in Clacton where MP Douglass Carswell recently left UKIP and is likely to be supported by the Conservatives whilst Brexit major donor and activist Arron Banks plans to stand against him. Those are the only two places I can see that UKIP might win but they have more or less zero chance in any other seat and its likely they'll get zero seats overall.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2017, 02:01:51 PM »

I don't see why any average Harry Stones should think Corbyn really cares for the NHS, he certainly failed many in his ambiguous stand with the junior doctors. Anyway, as was said, it's not that it's unimportant but rather that it's not what moves the electorate about.
EnglishPete

« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »

Labour has been campaigning around the NHS at every election I can remember. The trouble with talking about Brexit is his party's demographics. Many of Labours seats are in working class areas that voted leave, what in the US might be called 'rust belt'. There was a fear that many of their voters in these areas would switch to UKIP. However given the shambolic state of that party in recent months (or perhaps I should say more shambolic than usual) it now seems more likely that such voters would switch directly over to UKIP.

The trouble is that a significant minority of their voters and a majority of their MPs are the left wing middle class, the hard core of the remain side.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »

Raving Loony Green Giant Party would be best at governing the U.K. at this point.
EnglishPete

« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »

Labour could be squeezed really badly by the Tories here. David Cameron had an image as the archetypal upper class liberal elitist snob. This is something that not only put off some moderate Labour/Conservative swing voters but also led to a section of Conservative voters who switched to UKIP. With May having a strong appeal to both these groups the Tories could really clean up.

Labour has a certain core of very left wing areas, inner London, City of Birmingham, City of Manchester, Liverpool, South Yorkshire, parts of South Wales,Durham and Tyneside. They could hang on to the bulk of their seats in these areas whilst being massacred elsewhere in the Midlands and the North as has already happened elsewhere in the South.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »

A lot of liberal Americans are jealous of the UK today--a snap election. A lot of liberal Americans wish that the U.S. Constitution had a amendment about a "snap election"--to force Trump and Pence out after 100 days!!!

However, midterms (midterm elections) can't come soon enough for some Americans. Other Americans don't even know what a midterm election is. They're busy watching Kardashian.

Some think of the word midterm as a midterm exam in high school or college!!!

If we had a snap election, Democrats would be wise not to run Hillary Clinton again for a snap election. Maybe Kaine, Warren, or Gillibrand.

We do not have a parliamentary system of government in the U.S. This is why America is unique to other countries. 2018, 2020 is on it's way.

This is very disrespectful. The Kardashians performed their civic duty. Lest you forget where the money came from in the first place! That's right - equality! Real justice. They have the exemplary values real countries represent. Caitlyn is an icon. She is really into activism and really changed the state of discourse in America and even campaigned. Kim and her husband are really big in the political news too. They give us insight into how lucky we are and how dangerous other countries are. Also Kylie is an activist now. You're being unfair. We are the ones who know so much through these cultural icons. Why would anyone in Britain get engaged? It's not fair. These people can't even see brilliance staring them straight in the face. Corbyn is the best party leader to come along in decades, and look how he is treated.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies