UK General Election, June 8th 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:09:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, June 8th 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 76
Author Topic: UK General Election, June 8th 2017  (Read 207438 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: June 02, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »

Tonight's BBC debate was one of the best in this campaign..
May struggled in social care.. and Corbyn was destroyed in Trident...

Jeremy Corbyn is asked about Trident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWt3rS27vzY

I don't know what was worse. The question, his weird and wobbly response or the laughs and tease from the audience. Sad.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #1551 on: June 02, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »

Corbyn won't retaliate to a nuclear attack that isn't going to happen? outrageous!

Things can change a lot in 5 years. People deserve to know that if we are attacked, we are not just gonna sit back.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1552 on: June 02, 2017, 04:53:07 PM »

Maybe this makes me crazy but the idea that this would move anyone's vote strikes me as wishful thinking on the part of the right, unless Trident is some sort of Shibboleth for something else, I fail to see why the refusal to commit a "tit for tat" policy of murdering millions of innocents is scandalous, particularly considering that the Cold War ended 25 years ago.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1553 on: June 02, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »

Corbyn won't retaliate to a nuclear attack that isn't going to happen? outrageous!

Things can change a lot in 5 years. People deserve to know that if we are attacked, we are not just gonna sit back.

yea man, i'm sure that the irradiated zombies living in the rubble of post-nuke london would be primarily concerned about britain's ability to incinerate moscow or pyongyang and not about the fact that they are  dying a horrible death.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #1554 on: June 02, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »

If we're in a position where we need to use nuclear weapons then the worlds gone to s**t anyway, I'd rather that we didn't decide to kill millions more people (who'd just be normal people, not the people that would put us in that situation) just because we didn't like their government.  Its not like we're even talking about normal weapons here - nuclear weapons aren't something we should ever consider using unless in the most special of occasions; which honestly I actually can't think of at this point.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1555 on: June 02, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »

Maybe this makes me crazy but the idea that this would move anyone's vote strikes me as wishful thinking on the part of the right, unless Trident is some sort of Shibboleth for something else, I fail to see why the refusal to commit a "tit for tat" policy of murdering millions of innocents is scandalous, particularly considering that the Cold War ended 25 years ago.

So, I watched a clip of the entirety of this exchange. A woman interjected that "I don't understand why many in this audience are so keen on murdering millions of people" and received enthusiastic/excited applause for saying this. The year is not 1987, it's not a salient or relevant question and, frankly, if you are concerned about this, I'd suggest that you're a sadist and a sick freak.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1556 on: June 02, 2017, 05:04:49 PM »

yea man, i'm sure that the irradiated zombies living in the rubble of post-nuke london would be primarily concerned about britain's ability to incinerate moscow or pyongyang and not about the fact that they are  dying a horrible death.

Zombies don't exist.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1557 on: June 02, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »

There are some really 'classy' comments about the audience on Twitter tonight...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1558 on: June 02, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

Except he didn't actually say that. He said no to first use, then waffled on retaliation...

I think he was clear that he would use it if he had to, but he really really doesn't want to have to.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #1559 on: June 02, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »

If we are attacked, we have to attack back. This should be one of the most uncontroversial things ever.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1560 on: June 02, 2017, 05:47:53 PM »

If we are attacked, we have to attack back. This should be one of the most uncontroversial things ever.
Retaliating against the country that attacked you isn't controversial. Killing thousands of innocent citizens of that country is.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1561 on: June 02, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »

I'm surprised there have been almost zero constituency polls in this election campaign. in 2015 there were a ton of them and it was interesting to see how the natiuonwide swings were being replicated at the local level.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1562 on: June 02, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »

I'm surprised there have been almost zero constituency polls in this election campaign. in 2015 there were a ton of them and it was interesting to see how the natiuonwide swings were being replicated at the local level.
Most of them were trash, that's why they decided not to waste time and money on it again.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1563 on: June 02, 2017, 05:53:36 PM »

Weren't there two? One for Battersea and one for Brighton Pavilion?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #1564 on: June 02, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »

Yougov's model seems to have a strong constituency polling element to it (people I know who are on the panel have been asked constituency-based questions) but the numbers that it is showing are a load of crap anyway - although the real constituency polls in 2015 were trash anyway, so...

yea man, i'm sure that the irradiated zombies living in the rubble of post-nuke london would be primarily concerned about britain's ability to incinerate moscow or pyongyang and not about the fact that they are  dying a horrible death.
Retaliating against the country that attacked you isn't controversial. Killing thousands of innocent citizens of that country is.

na man; if you don't say that you'll nuke millions of people just because they have the misfortune of living in the wrong place then you're a COWARD or something
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1565 on: June 02, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »

Lord Ashcroft has had to reign back on the spending a bit, he's worried he'll get done for tax evasion Smiley
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #1566 on: June 02, 2017, 06:08:43 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2017, 06:10:34 PM by thumb21 »

yea man, i'm sure that the irradiated zombies living in the rubble of post-nuke london would be primarily concerned about britain's ability to incinerate moscow or pyongyang and not about the fact that they are  dying a horrible death.

Your solution is what? How would you prevent multiple British cities from being incinerated? Sometimes there are necessary evils.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1567 on: June 02, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »

Your solution is what?
Targeting strategic places, state institutions, infrastructure and politicians responsible for and supportive of the attack.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #1568 on: June 02, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »

Your solution is what?
Targeting strategic places, state institutions, infrastructure and politicians responsible for and supportive of the attack.

I agree but if you think large numbers of civilians are not also going to die there, you are mistaken.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1569 on: June 02, 2017, 06:27:53 PM »

I agree but if you think large numbers of civilians are not also going to die there, you are mistaken.
Still different than nuking a place.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #1570 on: June 02, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »

I don't know if this was posted yet, but this article explains the context to things used in the latest attack ad

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/02/tory-attack-ad-corbyn-remarks-context
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #1571 on: June 02, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »

Still different than nuking a place.

I advocated for retaliating, not necessarily nuking back unless there are no other options.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1572 on: June 02, 2017, 09:20:16 PM »

So many weird wedge issues in the UK. Fox hunting..trident there is virtually no threat of nuclear war right now or the near future, the concept of MAD is obsolete.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1573 on: June 02, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »

So many weird wedge issues in the UK. Fox hunting..trident there is virtually no threat of nuclear war right now or the near future, the concept of MAD is obsolete.

Is Fox Hunting really a wedge issue though? Don't the vast majority of people oppose it though?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1574 on: June 02, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »

Is Fox Hunting really a wedge issue though? Don't the vast majority of people oppose it though?

Apparently Theresa May supports it and Labour has attacked her over it.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/870353290973896704
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies