UK General Election, June 8th 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:14:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, June 8th 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election, June 8th 2017  (Read 208872 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: April 18, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »

Why is Labour supporting this?

I know whenever we have these over-confident snap elections in Canada, the governing party gets turfed. See Ontario 1990 and Alberta 2015.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:24:13 AM »

I know whenever we have these over-confident snap elections in Canada, the governing party gets turfed. See Ontario 1990 and Alberta 2015.
Because the official opposition cannot say no to a GE, it's like admitting they're pointless

Snap elections are incredibly unpopular. The Tories can spin that any way they like, but I can't see it overcoming the population's disgust with having to go to the polls again. Now Labour can't use this issue as leverage.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »

Because the official opposition cannot say no to a GE, it's like admitting they're pointless

Snap elections are incredibly unpopular. The Tories can spin that any way they like, but I can't see it overcoming the population's disgust with having to go to the polls again. Now Labour can't use this issue as leverage.

What about the 2000 federal? Chretien called the Alliance's bluff and won an even bigger majority.

It is a pretty good analogy, yes. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but the 1997-2000 term was 3.5 years long, while my Ontario and Alberta examples are closer to an even 3. Perhaps those six months made all the difference in voter's minds? Tongue Anyways, the UK election will only be 2 years after the last one, which is extremely reckless in my mind, and would never fly over here.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »

Is there any way we can ban Americans from posting in this thread unless they pass an IQ test or something?

The poster in question should be banned from this forum in general.

But... lol.. I don't think it's possible to formulate a post that would bug Al any more than that one.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »

How exactly is Corbyn catching up to May? I don't understand it.

What's there to not understand? It is very very common for voters to rebel against a governing party when they call snap elections based on arrogance and over confidence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies