Unpleasant Kuckdom general election 2017: your vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:35:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Unpleasant Kuckdom general election 2017: your vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ?
Labour

Tory

Lib Dem

UKIP

Green

SNP/Plaid/Indepence for Sussex/The Wight Nationalist Party/ etc

Pretty Sure That's Everybody

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 137

Author Topic: Unpleasant Kuckdom general election 2017: your vote?  (Read 7757 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »

I would be conflicted between UKIP and Tory.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »

I'd be curious to see what the election map would look like with this breakdown in the vote. Is there a place where you can plug in numbers and get a theoretical UK election map, or at least a blank PNG file of the constituencies?

http://principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/?map=predictit

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/userpoll.html
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »

I have to agree, Cameron was the exact type of Romney/Jeb (not politically, but personality wise) guy I'd never in a million years vote for. I truly get the feeling from May that she remembers where she comes from, and that she's genuinely working on their behalf even if she does represent the "establishment" on the whole.

I'm not as personally unsympathetic to May as I was to Cameron (politically is an open question), but she's the daughter of a vicar so "where she comes from" is already pretty establishment.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »

If anything, I had infinitely more time for Cameron, particularly coalition Cameron. I just can't get past Theresa May's disconnected view of immigration where now thanks to her policy changes, even after 5 years of marriage, my husband doesn't have full residency rights. She understands 'things' but fails to understand people. She's sterile in a manner in which Thatcher was sterile when it came to individualism despite preaching it; 'individualism is alright as long as it falls in line with policy' etc. She won't debate. She won't talk to the press. She shields herself and I think she has the potential to be PM for a decade and a quite dangerous one at that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2017, 02:14:22 PM »

Sanchez's attempt to build up a fantasy world where privileged social Darwinist creeps somehow represent and care for "the people" makes some modicum of sense in the US, where they at least attempt to do so in their style, but is beyond laughable when applied to British politics.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 02:15:44 PM »

If I were a Scottish voter, SNP to facilitate Scotexit. Otherwise a reluctant Labour vote.
You mean Sexit? Tongue
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »

I'm a member of the SNP, but I live in England so I'm usually a Green supporter. However, I'm seeing a lot of anti-Conservative comments on some of my local newspapers' websites; so I may tactically vote Lib Dem if I think they have a chance of winning my seat.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 02:29:05 PM »

I'm a member of the SNP, but I live in England so I'm usually a Green supporter. However, I'm seeing a lot of anti-Conservative comments on some of my local newspapers' websites; so I may tactically vote Lib Dem if I think they have a chance of winning my seat.
Labour has no shot?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »

Sanchez's attempt to build up a fantasy world where privileged social Darwinist creeps somehow represent and care for "the people" makes some modicum of sense in the US, where they at least attempt to do so in their style, but is beyond laughable when applied to British politics.
Hence the caveat in my post.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »

Broadly Lib Dems, but my actual vote would depend on the individual seats. Was broadly Conservative in the last two UK elections I followed (2010 and 2015). I much preferred the Cameron Tories to the current May ones.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

Labour has no shot?
No. They only got 8% in 2015. My constituency is Newbury for reference. The Lib Dems held the seat between 1993 and 2005, and have been the second largest party in the seat going back to 1974. Would require a 23% swing for the Lib Dems to draw level in this seat though.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »

Labour has no shot?
No. They only got 8% in 2015. My constituency is Newbury for reference. The Lib Dems held the seat between 1993 and 2005, and have been the second largest party in the seat going back to 1974. Would require a 23% swing for the Lib Dems to draw level in this seat though.
Hell, under Corbyn the Labour candidate might lose his or her deposit.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2017, 03:17:07 PM »

Labour has no shot?
Hell, under Corbyn the Labour candidate might lose his or her deposit.
The Labour candidate lost their deposit in 2010, can't see them doing it this time either.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »

I'd be curious to see what the election map would look like with this breakdown in the vote. Is there a place where you can plug in numbers and get a theoretical UK election map, or at least a blank PNG file of the constituencies?

http://principalfish.co.uk/electionmaps/?map=predictit

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/userpoll.html

Thanks!

Okay, here's a map of the 2015 general with universal "Atlas" swing to match the results of this poll:

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »

If the Conservatives gain a few seats in Scotland the map would no longer look like Maggie Simpson. Sad
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2017, 03:52:43 AM »

Fwiw my voting strategy would be: Labour across the board where they are competitive (even for loathsome MPs), Lib Dems in the Lib-Con marginals, whichever of Lib and Lab is more likely to defeat separatists in Wales and Scotland and non-sectarian candidates in NI.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2017, 07:09:36 AM »

I'd vote for the LibDems in constituencies where they have an actual shot at winning or in ridiculously safe Labour seats where my vote wouldn't matter any way but otherwise the Tories to keep out crazy Corbyn and safe-keep a stable government. 

(In NI I'd vote for Alliance obviously, only sane choice)
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »

I'm torn actually: my seat is pretty safe for the SNP so I'm a lot more free to vote how I like.  At this point I'll probably vote for the Greens.  If the Tories go up in Scottish polling then I'd really have to start thinking about a tactical SNP vote to keep them out though; Stirling isn't a top Tory target (anymore, it was in 2010 and if it was an English seat it probably would be a marginal Tory seat) but you never know what could happen.  I'll vote Green in the poll, but it all depends how the campaign goes.

More broadly; in the rest of Scotland I'd probably vote Green or an anti-Tory SNP vote.  In England I'm less sure: Labour in anything remotely at risk of going to the Tories, probably Lib Dems in those marginal seats and in safe ones I don't know to be honest, in Wales its the same general rule but I'd probably end up voting for Plaid in a safe seat, and who knows about Northern Ireland to be honest: SDLP or Alliance, maybe even the Greens again because all parties are bad in the North.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »

Labour. Unfortunately, as bad as they are at the moment, they are still better than the alternatives.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »

Fwiw my voting strategy would be: Labour across the board where they are competitive (even for loathsome MPs), Lib Dems in the Lib-Con marginals, whichever of Lib and Lab is more likely to defeat separatists in Wales and Scotland and non-sectarian candidates in NI.

If you don't mind me asking, what seat do you live in and what are its dynamics?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, what seat do you live in and what are its dynamics?

I live in Sheffield Hallam, which is basically a) a swathe of desolate moorland punctuated by well-heeled villages b) the affluent western suburbs of Sheffield and c) student housing from the University of Sheffield. This was a Labour target in 2015, but not because it's natural territory for the party (on paper, it is probably one of the worst Labour target in the whole of North England); but because of popular loathing for the incumbent MP - a guy you may have heard of:

He was saved by tactical voting by Tories (who used to be safe in this seat back in the day), and is presumably safe now that everybody has forgotten about the coalition and is angry about Brexit.

the local party will probably forget about him, and try and save our local incumbents. Penistone is probably the most vulnerable; but the Greens are apparently trying to oust us in Central (former leader Natalie Bennett is standing there).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2017, 01:09:43 PM »

Nick Clegg is most likely 100% safe in GE? Wonderful news. Tongue
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »

I'd probably vote Liberal Democrat in most seats.
I have to imagine you probably wouldn't. Corbyn isn't much to the left of Sanders.

Lol.

Sanders is pretty much a mainstream social democrat who's not afraid of leftist labels. Corbyn is a nut.

Yes, 35.5% of Atlas is voting for "a nut". That makes sense!
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »

I'd probably vote Liberal Democrat in most seats.
I have to imagine you probably wouldn't. Corbyn isn't much to the left of Sanders.

Lol.

Sanders is pretty much a mainstream social democrat who's not afraid of leftist labels. Corbyn is a nut.

Yes, 35.5% of Atlas is voting for "a nut". That makes sense!

I mean... it does.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »

Nick Clegg is most likely 100% safe in GE? Wonderful news. Tongue

the left has bigger fish to fry

by which I mean we're the fish and we're gunna get fried Sad
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »