Sherrod Brown hoping to work with the White House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:41:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Sherrod Brown hoping to work with the White House
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sherrod Brown hoping to work with the White House  (Read 876 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »

While this story doesn’t specifically mention 2020, Brown is a name that gets mentioned as a potentially strong contender for the Democratic nomination, should he run.  So this is an interesting take on the path he’s taking as he prepares for his reelection race:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/sherrod-brown-reelection-trump-237231

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's certainly a different path from the one taken by, say, Gillibrand, so thought it was worth mentioning.  As I've mentioned before, even if Brown is in good shape for reelection, the fact that his race will, most likely, at least be a good deal closer than the margin by which I'd expect Gillibrand and Warren to win by next year means that he might get politically "boxed in" in some ways that the candidates with easier reelection challenges won't have to worry about.

Also, gotta love his defense of voting to confirm Ben Carson:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow, I guess that means I’m also qualified to lead HUD.  Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:42 AM »

His position here isn't really any different than Bernie's.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »

I like Brown but is explanation for voting for Carson is indeed strange Cheesy
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »

Probably could help him win again in Ohio, which should be his priority right now.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »

Here's another Sherrod Brown profile btw:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/can-sherrod-brown-make-democrats-working-class-again

There does seem to be a split between partisanship and ideology: Gillibrand, for example, is more in the "partisan" camp, in calculating that total opposition to Trump is the smart political strategy, either for herself, the Democratic Party, or both.  OTOH, you have people who are nominally more interested in advance a particular policy program, and so jettison the total opposition posture in favor of working with Trump on any issue on which they might agree.  (Though that in itself could be a political calculation, just a different one from the one Gillibrand is making.)
Steam Boat Willie
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »

If Ohio stays red will Brown win in 2018?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 05:43:50 PM »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/can-sherrod-brown-make-democrats-working-class-again

There does seem to be a split between partisanship and ideology: Gillibrand, for example, is more in the "partisan" camp, in calculating that total opposition to Trump is the smart political strategy, either for herself, the Democratic Party, or both.  OTOH, you have people who are nominally more interested in advance a particular policy program, and so jettison the total opposition posture in favor of working with Trump on any issue on which they might agree.  (Though that in itself could be a political calculation, just a different one from the one Gillibrand is making.)

That's probably the smart road to take. Total opposition is pointless because it borders on hackery. Working with Trump on things like infrastructure is something that just makes sense. Work with him on issues you agree on, and oppose him on those you don't. That's just common sense.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »

What do you mean by "If Ohio stays red"?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

That's probably the smart road to take. Total opposition is pointless because it borders on hackery. Working with Trump on things like infrastructure is something that just makes sense. Work with him on issues you agree on, and oppose him on those you don't. That's just common sense.

“Smart” in what sense though?  Smart in terms of getting policy victories, or smart for personal political gain, or smart for political gain for the party as a whole?

If you want policy victories, then yes, cooperate on certain issues.  But if you want to improve your party’s chances in the midterms and in the next presidential election, then I actually do think that total opposition is probably the best way to go.  That’s because voters tend to assign both credit and blame to “the party in power” as defined by whoever sits in the White House.  If the opposition party works with the president to do something, then the president gets credit for being bipartisan, and the opposition gets no credit.  Whereas if the opposition refuses to work with the president, then he (the president) gets the blame for not being bipartisan enough.

That is messed up, but I’m afraid that’s how it works.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »

Mr. Morden,

While I agree with your analysis I don't think Brown is gonna find much if any common ground with Trump. He's abandoned basically all of his populist rhetoric and kowtowed entirely to the establishment republicans.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »

Brown won't win in 2018 regardless of whether the state's Republican swing continues.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »

Mr. Morden,

While I agree with your analysis I don't think Brown is gonna find much if any common ground with Trump. He's abandoned basically all of his populist rhetoric and kowtowed entirely to the establishment republicans.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think this is the case.

Establishment Republicans were a key to Trump's victory in the end.  I suppose it shouldn't shock me that he views himself as beholden to them to a point.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »

Brown won't will win in 2018 regardless of whether the state's Republican swing continues.

ftfy
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:23 PM »

Watching red state Dems backpedal from their left-wing voting records and magically become inoffensive and bipartisan just in time for their reelection races in 2014 was hilarious. I'm thinking Brown will be this year as well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies