Best Sci-Fi universe/story (new poll)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:08:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Best Sci-Fi universe/story (new poll)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Best Sci-Fi universe/story (NOT necessarily your favorite)
Star Wars (movies and EU)

Star Trek

Asimov's Robot/Foundation series

Doctor Who

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Dune

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Best Sci-Fi universe/story (new poll)  (Read 2857 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »

Star Wars and Star Trek are objectively the best. Neither are my favorites.

Because they made the most money? Go boil your head.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 05:11:54 PM »

Because they are the most famous. Yeah, that tends to correlate with making money, so what? There is no other objective way to measure 'best'.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 08:04:42 PM »

Because they are the most famous. Yeah, that tends to correlate with making money, so what? There is no other objective way to measure 'best'.

Beet destroying whole traditions of art criticism in one sentence here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »

I voted for Star Wars and DrWho, but I like Stargate too.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 07:13:50 AM »

Star Wars is the deepest one, in my opinion, but none of them is all that impressive.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »

Anyway:

(1) The appeal of Doctor Who is baffling. It's like Pinky and the Brain meets Back to the Future except all of the characters are British and it looks like it was filmed on a camcorder on a budget of a few hundred dollars per episode and left in someone's basement for years until later it looks as like something filmed under the direction of a person who specializes in creating television for toddlers.

(2) Star Wars is series of amusing adventure stories set in a fun and imaginative yet generic fantasy universe that is about as worthy of this poll's designation as the Indiana Jones franchise is.

(3) Star Trek opens strong (say what you want about the original series, it has the virtue of discussing adult themes without taking itself seriously in the wrong ways). In its next iteration it suffers the indignity of becoming The West Wing In Space. Later, it becomes a generic action movie seasoned with a few pointless franchise references for cross-market appeal to Pavlovian nerds.

(4) Dune should have ended after a single epic novel.

(5) The Foundation series are as horrifically dated as any piece of pre-1960s pop culture, and a slog to read besides. Most of them read as if they were more obviously created for children than anything else on this list, including the bit about the time-traveling wizard who kidnaps adolescents for company.

Hitchhiker's Guide is the only work listed here that I enjoy reading as a series, but I'm not sure whether that makes it the right pick for what the poll asks. Foundation might be a better answer - it's a more complete universe, a more novel one, and responsible for most of the genuinely interesting ideas popularized in Star Wars. That said, I have no interest in reading any of those novels again.

Most classic DW fans would say, I never watched Pinky & the Brain - I honestly don't remember more than 2 mice trying to rule the world.

Your comments show your age and lack of scope.

Comparing a show that started in '63 and has 800+ episodes vs a kids cartoon from the 90s about 2 mice that want to rule the world.

How is that a true statement? It is just your opinion looking back at a few episodes you might have see and putting your value set & simplistic generalizations on a show you may only have limited experience with.

Back to the Future was well after DW and only involved time travel and no alien technology. Earth based crossing time lines & paradoxes were only a portion of the show.

And a good Douglas Adams fan would appreciate his contributions in the 70s to the show like City of Death, The Sunmakers, and The Pirate Planet.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 05:55:19 PM »

How about asking people what their opinion is in a poll, like this thread?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies