Andrew Cuomo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:17:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Andrew Cuomo
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Andrew Cuomo  (Read 1430 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:21:43 PM »

N.Y. Gov. Cuomo Emerges As Early Favorite For Democrats In 2020 Race
http://www.westernjournalism.com/n-y-gov-cuomo-emerges-as-early-favorite-for-democrats-in-2020-race/
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »

Frontrunner? No. He might be the earliest candidate to launch his campaign, though.

I mean he's doing progressive things but he's corrupt af and everyone thinks he's just a poser.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »

His unpopularity in Upstate NY is a big red flag. Upstate is basically a miniature Midwest.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 07:08:02 PM »

He might be the earliest candidate to launch his campaign, though.

Highly doubtful, IMHO.  All of the candidates who face reelection in 2018 have to give themselves at least a few months into 2019 before officially launching their presidential campaigns, to at least keep up the pretense of not having already decided to run for prez when they were running to keep their current jobs.  And in fact, that's probably more true for governors than Senators, since governors have real responsibilities, while Senators can slack off with few consequences.

I'd assume that the first people to announce will be those who no longer have a day job, like O'Malley and Castro.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »

He might be the earliest candidate to launch his campaign, though.

Highly doubtful, IMHO.  All of the candidates who face reelection in 2018 have to give themselves at least a few months into 2019 before officially launching their presidential campaigns, to at least keep up the pretense of not having already decided to run for prez when they were running to keep their current jobs.  And in fact, that's probably more true for governors than Senators, since governors have real responsibilities, while Senators can slack off with few consequences.

I'd assume that the first people to announce will be those who no longer have a day job, like O'Malley and Castro.

Cuomo could care less about the people of New York.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 01:51:06 AM »

His unpopularity in Upstate NY is a big red flag. Upstate is basically a miniature Midwest.

Isn't he... fairly popular upstate? I mean NYC is still his stronghold but that's the idea behind him vs de Blasio, right? That Cuomo wins upstate voters and de Blasio relies on his super progressive NYC base

And unpopularity is all relative btw -- he's at 60% approval which blows away almost every other big-name governor in the country.
Steam Boat Willie
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 05:00:26 PM »

He's running and I hope to see ads targeting his regulations that aren't popular with voters outside of the leftwing liberal base.
Steam Boat Willie
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 05:10:33 PM »

Isn't he... fairly popular upstate? I mean NYC is still his stronghold but that's the idea behind him vs de Blasio, right? That Cuomo wins upstate voters and de Blasio relies on his super progressive NYC base

And unpopularity is all relative btw -- he's at 60% approval which blows away almost every other big-name governor in the country.

He was popular until he passed the NY SAFE Act which created a voluntary gun registry no gun owner has to abide by

That was enough to defeat Gore.  He'll also have to explain where the money for "free college" comes from to parents who have already paid for their own kids to go to college.  There's more to being a politician than appealing to liberal New Yorkers.
Steam Boat Willie
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »

He was popular until he passed the NY SAFE Act which created a voluntary gun registry no gun owner has to abide by

That was enough to defeat Gore.  He'll also have to explain where the money for "free college" comes from to parents who have already paid for their own kids to go to college.  There's more to being a politician than appealing to liberal New Yorkers.

NY already had mostly free college under TARP funding...Cuomo just expanded it

Good luck explaining that in less than 20 seconds to parents who have already paid for their own kids to go to college.
Steam Boat Willie
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »

Good luck explaining that in less than 20 seconds to parents who have already paid for their own kids to go to college.

That's kind of hard because chances are if they went to a public college in NY...they didn't pay lol

You're suggesting only New Yorkers will vote in the presidential election?  There's 50 states according to your image. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 05:49:04 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2017, 05:50:49 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

That was enough to defeat Gore.  He'll also have to explain where the money for "free college" comes from to parents who have already paid for their own kids to go to college.  There's more to being a politician than appealing to liberal New Yorkers.

TAP, not TARP. For the poorest students, 90% of tuition was already covered. That went to 100%. But only 0% of fees is covered, and fees are more than 10% of tuition at the SUNYs.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »

I'm... not sure what the controversy would be here? Are these parents pissed off because they had to pay for college while New Yorkers no longer do? That seems to be more of an issue they should take up with their own Governors.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 11:41:02 PM »

I really don't get the argument that people are trying to make here. New York is a blue state, sure, but it's substantially more Republican than Texas is Democrat, and Cuomo a.) has a 60 percent approval rating and b.) outperforms generic NYC Democrats among upstate voters. If you want to argue that Cuomo would outperform Hillary (or many other Dems) among upstate voters in 2020, these are the datapoints you would use (I would disagree with that argument, but still).
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 04:12:29 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2017, 04:17:46 AM by Shadows »

That was enough to defeat Gore.  He'll also have to explain where the money for "free college" comes from to parents who have already paid for their own kids to go to college.  There's more to being a politician than appealing to liberal New Yorkers.

It comes from the general kitty from where money goes to Medicaid as well. There are dozens of things which people don't enjoy - Everything from food stamps to welfare payments to meal on wheels or Medicaid - Everything should be abolished if you don't enjoy those services but some of your tax $ goes there. By this logic, government & any welfare programs itself should be scrapped. And by this logic why should someone pay taxes to fund K-12 education if that person doesn't have a child?

The GE audience is not as dumb as the fringe extremist tea party lunatics & won't ask such insane questions !
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 10:44:33 PM »

He's too easy too attack politically IMO. Big political families are not popular anymore, and he has a reputation of being corrupt. So no, I don't think so.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 11:20:52 PM »

He won't get far, unless the field really is that bad.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »

He won't get far, unless the field really is that bad.

I foresee a bad field and him splitting the vote to eek it out unless Warren takes on a Bernie-plus style role.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »

Define "big-name governor."  Most normal people only know their own governor, LOL.  There are several other that I'd say rather politically aware people would know (Jerry Brown, John Kasich, Charlier Baker) that are at least as popular.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 08:45:18 PM »

He's not his Dad.  Mario Cuomo was a liberal icon.  Andrew Cuomo is a liberal hack with enough documented seediness to be a drag on a national campaign.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »

Cuomo appears to be an "establishment" politician who progressive populists (Bernie Sanders' disciples) would probably not like very much. If the Sanders wing still wields substantial influence over the Democratic party (and US politics in general) by 2020, Cuomo would probably not get the nomination; if the establishment wing wields more influence than the Sanders wing by then, Cuomo would probably have a good shot at getting the nomination.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 11:52:38 AM »

I really don't get the argument that people are trying to make here. New York is a blue state, sure, but it's substantially more Republican than Texas is Democrat, and Cuomo a.) has a 60 percent approval rating and b.) outperforms generic NYC Democrats among upstate voters. If you want to argue that Cuomo would outperform Hillary (or many other Dems) among upstate voters in 2020, these are the datapoints you would use (I would disagree with that argument, but still).

The last Siena poll I saw, showed New Yorkers want him to be reelected by a good margin, had Upstate wanting someone else by almost 20%.

I have no doubt that Cuomo would win New York and win it by close to 20% against Trump. However, I think Trump will do better upstate than he did in 2016 against Cuomo.

Nominating Cuomo, basically means that it is a Cities+suburbs+minorities strategy in 2020 and the hostile trends in the rust belt areas continues.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »

Speaking as a New Yorker, I cannot stand Cuomo and his anti-worker agenda.
He represents everything wrong with the state and national Democratic parties.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »

Btw, looks like Cuomo is sticking by the North Carolina travel ban he instituted last year:

http://www.timesunion.com/allwcm/article/Cuomo-administration-Non-essential-travel-ban-to-11118951.php

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »

I quite like Andrew Cuomo, but I don't see him getting the nomination, mostly because he isn't an SJW or an ardent leftist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies