The Book "Shattered" - Inside stories of Hillary's campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:49:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Book "Shattered" - Inside stories of Hillary's campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Book "Shattered" - Inside stories of Hillary's campaign  (Read 4254 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2017, 01:01:44 AM »

"She had let him down. She had let herself down. She had let her party down. And she had let her country down."Obama’s legacy and her dreams of the Presidency lay shattered at Donald Trump’s feet. This was on her. Reluctantly she rose from her seat and took the phone."

Mrs Clinton then called Mr Trump, stating the two words that had seemed unthinkable to her supporters: "Congratulations Donald." "I’ll be supportive of the country’s success and that means your success as president," she reportedly said.

David Simas, the White House political director, called Robby Mook, Mrs Clinton’s campaign manager, to advise that Mr Obama "doesn’t think it’s wise to drag this out". As a Trump victory became beyond doubt, Mr Obama then called Mrs Clinton himself, telling her: “You need to concede.”She replied: "Mr President, I'm sorry."

Source - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/18/hillary-clinton-apologised-barack-obama-shock-election-loss/
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:03:45 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2017, 01:08:35 AM by Shadows »

When he was on his deathbed, his face partially paralyzed, Beau reportedly pushed his father to make a final run for the Oval Office. His son’s request made him consider again the issue of whether to run, something he’d been weighing for months, if not years. “He was also being overlooked by the president whom he had faithfully served, a painful if silent rebuke. Obama and his aides refused to take sides publicly, and some still had no appetite to help Hillary. But few thought Biden, who would turn seventy-four the month of the 2016 election, was the right person to represent Democrats in the campaign.”

Biden knew that he would face considerable challenges raising money against Clinton, partly because many top Democrats were already committed to Hillary. He also knew it would be difficult to recruit top talent because Clinton had already engaged most of the party’s best operatives.

Source - http://nypost.com/2017/04/18/biden-was-crushed-by-silent-rebuke-from-obama/
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:05:21 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2017, 01:08:08 AM by Shadows »

In the ad, Sanders would tout Clinton for her education, healthcare and minimum wage proposals. At the end of the script were the words: "I'm with her." “It’s so phony!” Sanders said. “I don’t want to say that.” Sanders did not use the slogan in the ad.  

The Clinton campaign eventually decided not to use the ad on television after learning that voters had some doubts about whether the Vermont senator fully supported Clinton. “People felt that it was him delivering his message, not Hillary’s,” said one Clinton aide familiar with focus group responses.

Source - http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/329224-sanders-on-im-with-her-its-so-phony
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:07:42 AM »

“His feelings about her, which were less than positive, revolved around policy differences and revolved around her allegiance to an old form of campaigning relying on big money and the people who raise it for you,” a source close to Sanders told Parnes and Allen. “This kind of campaigning, of going to rich people and asking them for money and modulating your policies in a way that didn’t inspire people, that was a losing formula. In terms of him not liking stuff about her, that’s what he disliked the most.”

Sanders, who launched his campaign about a month after Clinton in early 2015, “couldn’t stand the idea of Hillary pulling the country back into the Clinton White House years," the authors said.

Source - http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/329228-sanders-felt-compelled-to-run-against-clinton-book
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:09:26 AM »

The 90's were legit. Boo Sanders for not wanting to go back. Boo this man.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 01:14:04 AM »

Hillary was so mad she couldn’t think straight.She’d been humiliated in the Michigan primary the night before, a loss that not only robbed her of a prime opportunity to put Bernie Sanders down for good but also exposed several of her weaknesses.

And now, Jake Sullivan, her de facto chief strategist, was giving her lip about the last answer she’d delivered in the prep session. “That’s not very good,” Sullivan corrected. “Really?” Hillary snapped back. The room fell silent. “Why don’t you do it?”

Every time the Yale lawyer and former high school debate champ opened his mouth, Hillary cut him off. “That isn’t very good,” she’d say. “You can do better.” Then she’d hammer him with a Bernie line.
“We haven’t made our case,” she fumed. “We haven’t framed the choice. We haven’t done the politics.” “She was visibly, unflinchingly pissed off at us as a group,” said one aide who was in the room for the humiliating scene. “And she let us know she felt that way.”

This is because we made poor choices about where we traveled, she thought. She emailed Robby Mook to tell him she believed she’d spent too much time in the cities of Detroit and Flint and not enough in the working-class white suburbs around them. Months earlier, Hillary Clinton turned her fury on her consultants and campaign aides, blaming them for a failure to focus the media on her platform.

Source - http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/328405-clinton-campaign-plagued-by-bickering
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2017, 01:20:07 AM by Shadows »

Months earlier, Hillary Clinton turned her fury on her consultants and campaign aides, blaming them for a failure to focus the media on her platform. In her ear the whole time, spurring her on to cast blame on others and never admit to anything, was her husband. Neither Clinton could accept the simple fact that Hillary had hamstrung her own campaign and dealt the most serious blow to her own presidential aspirations.

Hillary’s severe, controlled voice crackled through the line first. It carried the sound of a disappointed teacher or mother delivering a lecture before a whipping. That back end was left to Bill, who lashed out with abandon. Eyes cast downward, stomachs turning — both from the scare tactics and from their own revulsion at being chastised for Hillary’s failures — Hillary’s talented and accomplished team of professionals and loyalists simply took it.

There was no arguing with Bill Clinton. You haven’t buried this thing, the ruddy-cheeked former president rasped. You haven’t figured out how to get Hillary’s core message to the voters. This has been dragging on for months, he thundered, and nothing you’ve done has made a damn bit of difference. Voters want to hear about Hillary’s plans for the economy, and you’re not making that happen. Now, do your damn jobs.

You heard him, she admonished. “Get it straight.”

Source - http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/328405-clinton-campaign-plagued-by-bickering
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 01:26:13 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2017, 01:27:53 AM by Shadows »

According to the account in “Shattered,” even former-Obama speechwriter Jon Favreau expressed frustration with the Democratic nominee’s campaign. Jon Favreau, brought in to help with the announcement speech -

“thought Clinton’s campaign was reminiscent of John Kerry’s, where he had gotten his start in 2004 — a bunch of operatives who were smart and accomplished . . . but weren’t united by any common purpose larger than pushing a less-than-thrilling candidate into the White House . . . Frustrated with the process and the product, Favreau dropped out.”

“Politicians, do not sound like you are reading a consultant’s script from an ad when you speak to your constituents,” Favreau said. “But also, don’t try to be cool. Because when you try to be cool, sometimes the results are even worse than being stiff.”“Bernie Sanders is the model, right?” Tommy Vietor, a former-Obama spokesman, asked.“Yes,” Favreau affirmed.

Source - http://www.salon.com/2017/04/18/its-so-phony-new-book-reveals-what-bernie-sanders-really-thought-of-hillary-clintons-campaign-message/

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 01:42:29 AM »

“Look, I really just want to concede gracefully, wish him the best, thank everybody, and get off the stage,” Clinton said during a discussion with top aide Jake Sullivan. “This is not a moment for me to do more than that.”

“Everything you said, we’re going to do in the speech,” Sullivan told her. “But you have been saying for many months that he’s temperamentally unfit and that he would be dangerous, and if you meant it, you should say it.” He continued, “And you made a case that all these people’s rights and safety are in danger. If you meant that, you should say it.”

Clinton said that wasn’t her “job anymore.” “Other people will criticize him. That’s their job. I have done it. I just lost, and that is that,” she said. “That was my last race.”

Source - https://www.yahoo.com/news/hillary-clinton-reportedly-said-last-race-losing-election-152121491.html
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 03:14:17 AM »

I bought the book and read a good bit of it last night.

Election night section was rather...uneventful. It really seems like it was a shock in the most extreme sense of the word. No panic, just utter disbelief.

They knew Ohio was gone about a week to ten days prior to the election and Michigan was very dicey. They still just couldn't believe he could actually pull it out.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 03:39:33 AM »

I bought the book and read a good bit of it last night.

Election night section was rather...uneventful. It really seems like it was a shock in the most extreme sense of the word. No panic, just utter disbelief.

They knew Ohio was gone about a week to ten days prior to the election and Michigan was very dicey. They still just couldn't believe he could actually pull it out.

Any other news not mentioned here? Don't know why they kept campaigning in Ohio instead of MI/WI when they knew Ohio & Iowa were likely gone !
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 04:41:43 AM »

The White House was worried that Hillary might not concede. There was a divergence between Obama, who knew Trump had clearly won the election and wanted to begin a smooth transition, and Hillary Clinton, who was clinging to whatever hope that she might somehow win.

Obama then called John Podesta.

"It's done. Realize that. Deal with it with dignity and move on."

Podesta told Obama she wasn't ready to face the public and they were still hoping for a miracle. Obama didn't see any point in prolonging the inevitable.

As Trump gave his victory speech, Bill sat on a couch and chomped on a cigar.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 05:32:40 AM »

I'm interested in reading it, but my emotions about that night are still pretty raw. There were definitely problems with the candidate and her campaign, but that in no way a justifies electing an outright authoritarian and demagogue to the White House.

Eventually, Trump voters will see this beyond strict party ID and ideology: he is and always has been wrong for our country, and better suited for a dictatorship.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »

I'm interested in reading it, but my emotions about that night are still pretty raw. There were definitely problems with the candidate and her campaign, but that in no way a justifies electing an outright authoritarian and demagogue to the White House.

Eventually, Trump voters will see this beyond strict party ID and ideology: he is and always has been wrong for our country, and better suited for a dictatorship.

Jeez. Calm down. He's not THAT bad.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:02 AM »

He got caught on a hot mic bragging about raping women
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »

Well, not raping. Just sexually assaulting a married woman. As she was walking towards him. I can't believe that's a distinction that must be made and I also can't believe how quickly Republicans have forgiven it. Partisanship is a pretty sad thing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »

This is utterly depressing, yet not surprising in the least.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »

Speaking of, are the Game Change guys writing another book together?
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »

Speaking of, are the Game Change guys writing another book together?

Yes and HBO is doing a miniseries. I did a thread on it.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »

There's no getting around it, its really depressing to hear these accounts. It really shouldn't have gone this way.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »

Well, not raping. Just sexually assaulting a married woman. As she was walking towards him. I can't believe that's a distinction that must be made and I also can't believe how quickly Republicans have forgiven it. Partisanship is a pretty sad thing.

Incorrect.

He was bragging about how being famous allowed him to get laid. 11 years ago. When he told Billy Bush "They let me do it because I'm famous", sure...it was uncouth, but letting him do it implies "consent".

If Trump walked on water, you liberals would say he couldn't swim.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »

The 90's were legit. Boo Sanders for not wanting to go back. Boo this man.
Yeah, what is he on about? He didn't want to pull the country back to a booming economy and peace abroad and optimism?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2017, 03:27:26 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

Incorrect.

He was bragging about how being famous allowed him to get laid. 11 years ago. When he told Billy Bush "They let me do it because I'm famous", sure...it was uncouth, but letting him do it implies "consent".

Right before he said that they let him do anything he said "I don't even wait" which implies that he was not asking for consent.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »

Incorrect.

Before he said that they let him do anything he also said "I don't even wait" which implies that he was not asking for consent.

I think the generalization of Trump is ridiculous coming from liberals who always say "Don't generalize". He attacks Rosie O'Donnell. That doesn't mean he attacks "women". He attacks the Khan father. That doesn't mean he attacks "Gold star families".

If he yelled at one crazy liberal employee of a Wal-Mart, would that mean "Donald Trump yells at Wal-Mart employee(S)?" plural? No. He yelled at one.

"I moved on her. I tried, and I failed." If he was a "rapist" he wouldn't be saying how he "failed". You guys are ridiculous. This is why you lose elections.

This is why feminists always scream about all the rapes that go unpunished. Because under the actual law, they are not actual rapes.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »

Incorrect.

Before he said that they let him do anything he also said "I don't even wait" which implies that he was not asking for consent.

I think the generalization of Trump is ridiculous coming from liberals who always say "Don't generalize". He attacks Rosie O'Donnell. That doesn't mean he attacks "women". He attacks the Khan father. That doesn't mean he attacks "Gold star families".

If he yelled at one crazy liberal employee of a Wal-Mart, would that mean "Donald Trump yells at Wal-Mart employee(S)?" plural? No. He yelled at one.

"I moved on her. I tried, and I failed." If he was a "rapist" he wouldn't be saying how he "failed". You guys are ridiculous. This is why you lose elections.

This is why feminists always scream about all the rapes that go unpunished. Because under the actual law, they are not actual rapes.

I was just saying that the part about his statement being consensual isn't a given.

I don't know nothing about no Rosie O'Donnel or Walmart employees.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies