Chaffetz not running for re-election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:59:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chaffetz not running for re-election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chaffetz not running for re-election  (Read 757 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:01:07 AM »

Chaffetz is leaving Congress, choosing not to run for re-election (the guy who ruthlessly investigated Benghazi, said he couldn't look his daughter in the eye if he supported Trump, then supported Trump, and has refused to investigate him).

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/rep-jason-chaffetz-wont-run-for-re-election-in-2018/article/2620649?

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »

Does anyone know if Evan McMullin lives in his district?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »

Awesome, GTFO!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »

meh, who cares.  They'll put a Chaffetz clone in his place if they hold the house.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »

meh, who cares.  They'll put a Chaffetz clone in his place if they hold the house.

Still, it's safe to say there is a special disliking for Chaffetz among Democrats. His leaving is almost like a consolation prize for us.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »

Good, goooood! (Palpatine voice)
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »

Lock him up!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:52:47 AM »

Still, it's safe to say there is a special disliking for Chaffetz among Democrats. His leaving is almost like a consolation prize for us.

True, but the next guy could be worse.  Smiley
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »

As long as they don't share his sh*tty hairstyle, I'm okay with that.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »

Twitter says yes.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »

Some basic work can give us a way to make an informed speculation about why Chaffetz chose to step down from the House.

Initially it looks odd. His district is ruby red. He's the Chairman of Government & Oversight, and he suddenly decides to abandon the House and rules out a Senate bid in 2018, when Orrin Hatch is possibly retiring?

But - we know "jasonforgovernor.com" redirects to his Congressional page. We also have his statement which says: "After long consultation with my family and prayerful consideration, I have decided I will not be a candidate for any office in 2018 ... I may run again for public office, but not in 2018."

If I had to speculate, he's decided to insulate himself from Washington during the Trump years and plans to mount a bid for Governor in 2020. He probably doesn't want to be the whipping boy for Trump and decided that if the three term Governor of Utah bows out in 2020 for a fourth term, he can run to succeed him.

This is particularly relevant as Donald Trump failed to win a majority of the vote in Utah and there is a significant McMullin base (or anti-Trump political base). It also points to Chaffetz believing Trump is not going to be politically popular by 2020, enough to continue carrying water for him. He'd have to carry more water for Trump in the Senate and be linked to the President, which isn't necessarily helpful in Utah's Republican electorate.

Ergo, a little spadework tells us Chaffetz (age 50) is preparing to run for Governor.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »

Ergo, a little spadework tells us Chaffetz (age 50) is preparing to run for Governor.
I agree.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »

Some basic work can give us a way to make an informed speculation about why Chaffetz chose to step down from the House.

Initially it looks odd. His district is ruby red. He's the Chairman of Government & Oversight, and he suddenly decides to abandon the House and rules out a Senate bid in 2018, when Orrin Hatch is possibly retiring?

But - we know "jasonforgovernor.com" redirects to his Congressional page. We also have his statement which says: "After long consultation with my family and prayerful consideration, I have decided I will not be a candidate for any office in 2018 ... I may run again for public office, but not in 2018."

If I had to speculate, he's decided to insulate himself from Washington during the Trump years and plans to mount a bid for Governor in 2020. He probably doesn't want to be the whipping boy for Trump and decided that if the three term Governor of Utah bows out in 2020 for a fourth term, he can run to succeed him.

This is particularly relevant as Donald Trump failed to win a majority of the vote in Utah and there is a significant McMullin base (or anti-Trump political base). It also points to Chaffetz believing Trump is not going to be politically popular by 2020, enough to continue carrying water for him. He'd have to carry more water for Trump in the Senate and be linked to the President, which isn't necessarily helpful in Utah's Republican electorate.

This all makes sense, but I don't think leaving  after 2018 and running in 2020 leaves enough time to heal the wounds, since he'd need to enter campaign mode pretty early in 2019.  His best bet is to open an investigation or two against the administration before he leaves or I don't think he stands a chance.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 11:55:35 AM »

This all makes sense, but I don't think leaving  after 2018 and running in 2020 leaves enough time to heal the wounds, since he'd need to enter campaign mode pretty early in 2019.  His best bet is to open an investigation or two against the administration before he leaves or I don't think he stands a chance.

He might make a little noise against Trump based on how well Trump is doing in 2018-2019, and start striking an independent pose or two. People have short memories, especially in heavily partisan states like Utah, where they will forgive your apostasies as long as you spend a year or two looking nice.

Chaffetz' problem is in the Republican primaries, where he looks too heavily aligned with Trump. He will want to distance himself from the God-Emperor.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »

Twitter says yes.

McMullin owes $670,000 from his 2016 campaign. I'd love to see him run, but that's a lot of money.
http://www.sltrib.com/home/5191365-155/mcmullin-owes-nearly-670000-for-his
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 05:15:26 PM »

Politicians who play the long game (in this particular way) are almost always massive HPs. Like, run for office because you think there's something about society that could use your skills and values in such-and-such a position to address, not because you're planning out A Career like someone who hopes to make VP of Sales by fifty-five.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »

Steam Boat Willie
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »

Good he's always seemed wishy washy.  There might be a lot of Republicans who use the "I want to spend more time with my family" line for next year.  It's their own faults too.  They've campaigned against Obamacare for 7 years and it's been their sole talking point in a lot of instances.  When push comes to shove some Republicans in the freedom caucus think it's smart to just take away health care from 22,000,000 people rather than modifying Obamacare.  Sorry I'm off topic.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 05:41:26 PM »

Chaffetz is kind of a unique level of prick for Utah politics. I suspect he'll be replaced by someone ideologically similar but not quite as... weaselly.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 06:58:22 PM »

Good riddance.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 07:15:38 PM »

Chaffetz is kind of a unique level of prick for Utah politics. I suspect he'll be replaced by someone ideologically similar but not quite as... weaselly.

Yeah, if you check on the thread in Congressional Elections, there's a variety of possible picks. Besides McMullin, my personal favorite would be state senator Deidre Henderson.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies