Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:36:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System  (Read 6560 times)
BL53931
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/bill-to-make-nebraska-s-electoral-college-votes-winner-take/article_3f311cb0-2474-11e7-8c5e-2bbe9676ed9c.html

The GOP here in NE will never give this up. It is a part of their platform every election and if you want to run for the legislature with their blessing you have to pledge to revert back to winner take all.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Their cohorts in MA and CA are at the same time trying to move their states to the NE system.

I've argued this with my state senator who offered ridiculous contrived reasons and finally told him to cut the crap and admit it's just a mean spirited power grab. He wouldn't respond. They know it is and don't care. One of these days this thing is going to pass and my vote and may others in this state will be made meaningless.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »

Interestingly, I just made a post about this topic on another board: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=262699.0

But yeah, I would not be surprised if GOP legislatures just begin doing whatever is best for their party in this regard, state by state.  Democrats will continue winning the PV nationwide in presidential elections, only to lose regardless because of Republican shenanigans.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »

Everyone is going to support whatever electoral system is best for their party, which is fine and the way things should be.  I would hardly call it crazy for Nebraska to move to the system that 48 states use.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

I can't say I disagree with what they're doing, but they're doing it for really stupid, partisan reasons.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »

what is needed for a change?

simple majority and gov or more?
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/bill-to-make-nebraska-s-electoral-college-votes-winner-take/article_3f311cb0-2474-11e7-8c5e-2bbe9676ed9c.html

The GOP here in NE will never give this up. It is a part of their platform every election and if you want to run for the legislature with their blessing you have to pledge to revert back to winner take all.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Their cohorts in MA and CA are at the same time trying to move their states to the NE system.

I've argued this with my state senator who offered ridiculous contrived reasons and finally told him to cut the crap and admit it's just a mean spirited power grab. He wouldn't respond. They know it is and don't care. One of these days this thing is going to pass and my vote and may others in this state will be made meaningless.

Are you saying you would be happy if MA and CA switched to the NE system?

If not, who is the hypocrite here?

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »

I see no problem here and think there should be a universal national standard for the elections--either every state having winner-take-all, or use the national PV. Having smaller states that split the EVs leave it open for larger states to do the same, gerrymander the presidential vote, and then use these smaller states as precedent to validate it.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »

Ideally you'd have all states switching to a 100% proportional system. In case of no majority, either it goes to a runoff or the biggest plurality becomes president.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »

I do not believe there is any such thing as a meaningless vote.  If you vote for who and what you believe in, your vote is never useless.

Just because California Democrats in the 2016 Presidential election cried because the election was over before it even got to California, and they said their votes were useless, does not make it so.

And FTR, I support this move by the Nebraska GOP.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »

I can't say I disagree with what they're doing, but they're doing it for really stupid, partisan reasons.

Yeah, this. Something tells me Republicans would be humming a different tune if we were talking about Maine.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »

Ideally you'd have all states switching to a 100% proportional system. In case of no majority, either it goes to a runoff or the biggest plurality becomes president.

I do hope you're not talking about going by congressional district, because not only would we have the national PV winner not winning the EVs, but you'd have the state PV winner not winning all of a state's EVs in many cases...
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »

This isn't even a good idea for partisan reasons. If a Democrat wins NE-2 on the presidential level, they're probably already winning the election. It's not like it'll make the difference between 269 and 270. Leaving it the way it is just encourages Democrats to spend money there instead of somewhere else which is both 1) Good for the Omaha economy and 2) probably marginally helping Republicans in swing states where Democrats would then have fewer resources.
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »

This isn't even a good idea for partisan reasons. If a Democrat wins NE-2 on the presidential level, they're probably already winning the election. It's not like it'll make the difference between 269 and 270. Leaving it the way it is just encourages Democrats to spend money there instead of somewhere else which is both 1) Good for the Omaha economy and 2) probably marginally helping Republicans in swing states where Democrats would then have fewer resources.
None of this is true. Very close elections can and do happen. The President won NE-02 by 2.2 points. This is not a safe margin for future Republican presidential candidates.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 10:16:09 AM »

The one reason that proportional is a bad idea is because of gerrymandering.  Not really a huge issue in Nebraska, but proportional is not that...full of integrity (if you will) in that sense.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »

It's beneficial to Nebraska's economy to award one Electoral Vote per district as it causes Presidential candidates (and media) to visit Omaha which they otherwise would not do.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »

Everyone is going to support whatever electoral system is best for their party, which is fine and the way things should be.  I would hardly call it crazy for Nebraska to move to the system that 48 states use.

Disagree. Elections should be fair and reflect the will of the people. I would support actions on those principles regardless of whether my party benefits.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »

Hopefully Maine does this next after that nasty racist slob of a governor is tossed out on his fat ass.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »

call me when there's a real push to get rid of the electoral college.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 06:04:40 AM »

The one reason that proportional is a bad idea is because of gerrymandering.  Not really a huge issue in Nebraska, but proportional is not that...full of integrity (if you will) in that sense.

which underlines that gerrymandering in the current style should be outlawed.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 06:05:29 AM »

Hopefully Maine does this next after that nasty racist slob of a governor is tossed out on his fat ass.

Except Maine is trending Republican and only went D by 3%. Nebraska is stable (Slight R trend even) and went R by 25%. Moreover, every county in Maine swung Republican and everyone trended Republican except Cumberland.

Making Maine WTA, could easily end up costing the Dems 1 electoral vote (ME-01) in a cycle or two.

BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »

It's beneficial to Nebraska's economy to award one Electoral Vote per district as it causes Presidential candidates (and media) to visit Omaha which they otherwise would not do.

Agreed. The Senator I contacted re his support of this bill was arguing that  the current setup discourages candidates from visiting areas outside Omaha in national campaigns. I pointed out, I think rightly, that under what he wanted nobody would be wasting their time and money in NE, not so long as they go statewide GOP by better than 20% many years.
Ridge
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »

I have an idea! Let's award electoral votes by county!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 09:30:10 AM »

I do hope you're not talking about going by congressional district, because not only would we have the national PV winner not winning the EVs, but you'd have the state PV winner not winning all of a state's EVs in many cases...

No, I mean electing all EV's proportionally. Not winner take all, not by CD. For example Georgia was 50% Trump, 45% Clinton, 3% Johnson or so.

Under the current system, Trump gets all 16 of Georgia's electoral votes. Under a proportional system, Clinton would get 7 and Trump 9. Rinse and repeat with every state.

The end result is:
267 Trump
265 Clinton
4 Johnson
1 Stein
1 McMullin

That reflects the will of the people a lot better while still making small states more powerful.

Then again it would need some extra overhauls, like either making a runoff if no candidate gets to 270 or allowing faithless electors to reach deals with 3rd parties. (so you could see Trump having to negotiate with Johnson to become president, forcing him to agree with many of his policies and making Johnson VP for exmple)

Never going to happen but still
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 10:37:33 AM »

RIP Democrats if that were to happen.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »

RIP Democrats if that were to happen.

I think the best idea would be to award electoral votes by country. Whoever wins more votes in the country will get all the electoral votes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies