Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:34:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System  (Read 6672 times)
BL53931
Rookie

« on: April 19, 2017, 10:13:52 AM »

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/bill-to-make-nebraska-s-electoral-college-votes-winner-take/article_3f311cb0-2474-11e7-8c5e-2bbe9676ed9c.html

The GOP here in NE will never give this up. It is a part of their platform every election and if you want to run for the legislature with their blessing you have to pledge to revert back to winner take all.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Their cohorts in MA and CA are at the same time trying to move their states to the NE system.

I've argued this with my state senator who offered ridiculous contrived reasons and finally told him to cut the crap and admit it's just a mean spirited power grab. He wouldn't respond. They know it is and don't care. One of these days this thing is going to pass and my vote and may others in this state will be made meaningless.
BL53931
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »

It's beneficial to Nebraska's economy to award one Electoral Vote per district as it causes Presidential candidates (and media) to visit Omaha which they otherwise would not do.

Agreed. The Senator I contacted re his support of this bill was arguing that  the current setup discourages candidates from visiting areas outside Omaha in national campaigns. I pointed out, I think rightly, that under what he wanted nobody would be wasting their time and money in NE, not so long as they go statewide GOP by better than 20% many years.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies