Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:00:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Once again, NE GOP Tries to Change Electoral System  (Read 6678 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: April 21, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/bill-to-make-nebraska-s-electoral-college-votes-winner-take/article_3f311cb0-2474-11e7-8c5e-2bbe9676ed9c.html

The GOP here in NE will never give this up. It is a part of their platform every election and if you want to run for the legislature with their blessing you have to pledge to revert back to winner take all.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Their cohorts in MA and CA are at the same time trying to move their states to the NE system.

I've argued this with my state senator who offered ridiculous contrived reasons and finally told him to cut the crap and admit it's just a mean spirited power grab. He wouldn't respond. They know it is and don't care. One of these days this thing is going to pass and my vote and may others in this state will be made meaningless.

Are you saying you would be happy if MA and CA switched to the NE system?

If not, who is the hypocrite here?

Ideally you'd have all states switching to a 100% proportional system. In case of no majority, either it goes to a runoff or the biggest plurality becomes president.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:30:10 AM »

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/bill-to-make-nebraska-s-electoral-college-votes-winner-take/article_3f311cb0-2474-11e7-8c5e-2bbe9676ed9c.html

The GOP here in NE will never give this up. It is a part of their platform every election and if you want to run for the legislature with their blessing you have to pledge to revert back to winner take all.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Their cohorts in MA and CA are at the same time trying to move their states to the NE system.

I've argued this with my state senator who offered ridiculous contrived reasons and finally told him to cut the crap and admit it's just a mean spirited power grab. He wouldn't respond. They know it is and don't care. One of these days this thing is going to pass and my vote and may others in this state will be made meaningless.

Are you saying you would be happy if MA and CA switched to the NE system?

If not, who is the hypocrite here?

Ideally you'd have all states switching to a 100% proportional system. In case of no majority, either it goes to a runoff or the biggest plurality becomes president.

I do hope you're not talking about going by congressional district, because not only would we have the national PV winner not winning the EVs, but you'd have the state PV winner not winning all of a state's EVs in many cases...

No, I mean electing all EV's proportionally. Not winner take all, not by CD. For example Georgia was 50% Trump, 45% Clinton, 3% Johnson or so.

Under the current system, Trump gets all 16 of Georgia's electoral votes. Under a proportional system, Clinton would get 7 and Trump 9. Rinse and repeat with every state.

The end result is:
267 Trump
265 Clinton
4 Johnson
1 Stein
1 McMullin

That reflects the will of the people a lot better while still making small states more powerful.

Then again it would need some extra overhauls, like either making a runoff if no candidate gets to 270 or allowing faithless electors to reach deals with 3rd parties. (so you could see Trump having to negotiate with Johnson to become president, forcing him to agree with many of his policies and making Johnson VP for exmple)

Never going to happen but still
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies