What are the most over and under rated demographic trends today? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:21:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What are the most over and under rated demographic trends today? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the most over and under rated demographic trends today?  (Read 4688 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
« edited: April 21, 2017, 11:36:15 PM by Skill and Chance »

Another underrated one:

Liberal whites do not really have many kids anymore and tend not to marry until very late in life, while conservative whites are still having a lot of babies.

This one deserves a lot more attention than it's getting.  Although I do suspect it's easier to pass all your political values on to an only child than to all 4 of your children at once.  The large families probably have a lot more who switch sides when they come of age.

The very most underrated are probably the 2012 major party-->2016 Johnson voters.  They could singlehandedly give either side a 2008 sized win next time around even if nothing else changed and yet I haven't seen a single news article profiling them.  They shouldn't be assumed to be conservative either given what was in Johnson's platform this time around.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »

Overrated
-The age-gap.  For one, Trump cut significantly into it in 2016, and the Senate races had even smaller ones (or none).  Secondly, while there are more conservative and more liberal age cohorts, all do get somewhat more Republican as they age.

I'd say this aspect is underrated with many people. What you stated, getting more Republican as they age, is a myth. How do you define 'somewhat' more Republican? Even if what you were saying is true, what does it even mean? Are you talking about Millennials voting instead of 36% for a Republican president, they'll vote 40% in 20-30 years? When a party has such a massive advantage with a certain generation of voters, it's not that unreasonable to assume there will be some erosion with support with age, but if you think there will be a massive shift just based on time alone, I'd say you are dead wrong. So far we have young gen'xers entering middle age that still seem to be voting as they did decades ago.

Conservatives who base their ideas on this should also consider what happens if they are wrong, and those young people they ignored for so many years grow up and still reject the Republican Party at similar numbers.

Yes, the age gap is underrated as there is solid historical evidence that it matters.  The gaps between demographic groups are overrated as there is some historical evidence that they are a one-time thing, particularly when the 1st candidate of a minority group runs.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:11:52 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2017, 07:14:14 PM by Skill and Chance »

Another underrated one:

Liberal whites do not really have many kids anymore and tend not to marry until very late in life, while conservative whites are still having a lot of babies.

This one deserves a lot more attention than it's getting.  Although I do suspect it's easier to pass all your political values on to an only child than to all 4 of your children at once.  The large families probably have a lot more who switch sides when they come of age.

I feel like this is both over and under rated.

Conservative birth rate is underrated by liberals, because, I think frankly the sort of person who is inclined to have six kids can't afford to live in a high cost of living area, and is going to follow a very different life pattern than the typical white liberal.

However it's also overrated by conservatives, overestimate the difference in birth rates and the role retention rates play. The typical fundamentalist or Evangelical birth rate is only marginally above average.

It's a sort of open secret that conservative Christians aren't that different from their secular counterparts. Some conservatives seem to have images of Israel where a birth rate of 6 vs 2 in the average population allowed the Hasidic population to swell in a few generations. Those people exist in America, but they are a very small portion of Evangelicals, and it will take a long time for that birth differential to have a noticeable effect.

Interesting, so religious minority birthrates are still notably higher than white fundamentalist Protestant birthrates and even the gap between white fundamentalist Protestant vs. no religion is still only about 0.5 children per family.  And white Christian liberals, who are only off by 0.2-0.3 children are likely still a larger group than white atheist/agnostic liberals.  It's certainly not a 3.5 kids/family vs. 1 kid/family situation in aggregate.  That does throw a wrench into the theory that differential birth rates are what is pulling the white population rightward (if the white population even is still moving rightward post 2012).

I do think differential birthrates could explain why traditional gender roles have been more resilient than most people expected they would be in the 1980's/90's though.  That is something that people do seem to model after their parents, but it also isn't a direct correlation with D vs. R politics (some very Dem minority groups are more traditionalist on these issues).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies