The New Century: A Parliament for The People
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:25:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The New Century: A Parliament for The People
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Author Topic: The New Century: A Parliament for The People  (Read 30683 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »
« edited: May 03, 2017, 05:59:37 PM by Kamala »

Chapter 0: Introduction
Today marks the beginning of the 28th American Parliament - a new three-year term, with a government to be formed and a Prime Minister to be selected. Current Federal Governor, and former Prime Minister, Jimmy Carter has been appointed by the previous Parliament to lead a caretaker government until the new Parliament can form a government.

Carter was just 7 years old when the Constitutional Crisis of 1931 occurred. President Herbert Hoover, a good man but a poor President, could not contain the extreme economic downturn, the Depression. Unemployment reached historic highs, higher than 25% and, in some states, such as Carter's native Georgia, more than a third of the workforce was unemployed. The Congress of the United States refused to cooperate with President Hoover, rejecting all of his proposals for recovery; in turn, Hoover vetoed every bill and resolution passed by the Congress. A showdown in Washington ensued, and the victim was the American people.

The states decided to take matters into their own hands. Congress, realizing this initiative, duly passed an order for a constitutional convention of the states, never before seen in American history. Within two weeks of the order's passing, delegates from the 48 states assembled in St Louis, Missouri. Within two months, the Convention rewrote the Constitution. While many protections and balances from the original document were left in place, the Constitution of 1931 was strikingly different in a few ways: it did away with the President entirely. The Executive Branch was melted into the Legislative. The Senate was gone completely, and the House of Representatives became Parliament.

Now, the newly assembled 28th Parliament of the United States has taken its seats; only time will tell what the orchestra will play.

Labor Party - 174 Seats / Leader: Nancy Pelosi (California)
Liberal Party - 121 Seats / Leader: Paul Ryan (Wisconsin)
Conservative Party - 104 Seats / Leader: Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Washington)
Farmer-Populist Party - 19 Seats / Leader: Collin Peterson (Minnesota)
Libertarian Party - 11 Seats / Leader: Don Young (Alaska)
New Deseret Party - 5 Seats / Leader: Jason Chaffetz (Utah)
Native Interests' Party - 2 Seats / Leader: Dan Boren (Oklahoma)

A big thanks to m&m for creating this district map.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:35:10 PM »

Chapter 1.1: Ladies, let's get in formation.

Nancy Pelosi was never known to be a great speaker - she rose through the ranks of Labor due to her unparalleled fundraising ability and her power to keep Representatives toeing the party line.

But tonight, November 8th, 2016, Nancy thought it was time for some oratory. Her party now rose to be the largest in Parliament, for the first time in years. Nearly 140 seats have already been called for Labor candidates, and as the night continues to roll in, many more are expected to be deemed won by other members.

From a convention hall in Washington, DC, Nancy walked on stage, joined by many of her female colleagues, ready to address the excited crowd that had gathered.

"Today the American people have shown that decency in politics rests not on the right side of the political spectrum. It doesn't rest with the Liberals, who have prioritized tax cuts for the wealthy while the rest of us scrabble to get by. It doesn't rest with the Conservatives, who have continuously fought against the march of progress that has made life for all of us better. It rests with Labor.

We are the party of the working man and working woman. We are the party of the middle class family. We are the party of justice, of equality, of economic stability. And tonight, we have shown the world that the American people are willing to fight for their values.

Our country's future is bright. We will bring back the rights of workers that have been lost under the previous administration. We will expand programs that help everyday Americans - healthcare, education, infrastructure. We will strengthen Social Security to insure that not one senior citizen lives under the looming shadow of poverty. Together, let's craft a road to prosperity.

Thank you, goodnight, and may we wake up tomorrow with a smile on our faces and a ready attitude to work."

Nancy walked off the stage. Her fellow Labor member, Bonnie Watson Coleman, a freshman representative from New Jersey just elected to her sophomore term, began to give a fiery speech on reforming many government organizations, many of which were hamstrung by budget cuts from the Ryan government.

For just one night, Nancy was happy. She knew the next few weeks would lead her to begin the difficult task of forming a functioning government. She knew she had a chance to make history - to be the first female Prime Minister of the United States.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2017, 11:32:26 AM by Kamala »

Chapter 1.2: Liberals in the Woods

Prime Minister Paul Ryan always knew he'd hold the most powerful and coveted seat in the United States. However, he never thought he'd inherit it in the middle of a crisis. His predecessor, former Ohio representative John Boehner, resigned in the middle of his second term as Prime Minister during the most devastating budget crisis the country had ever seen. While the Liberals held a strong plurality in Parliament, opposition both from rural Representatives within the party and from the Conservatives over the funding of Planned Parenthood hamstrung the Parliament, preventing it from passing any semblance of a budget. Over three months after the budgetary due date the Parliament was in gridlock, only resolved by Boehner's resignation and Tax Minister Ryan's promise to remove funding from Planned Parenthood. While this move was begrudgingly accepted by the urban wing of the Liberals, it did allow the government to resume functioning.

The Ryan government was unstable, caught flat footed by trouble overseas in Syria, Iran, and the South China Sea, unable to approve any sort of trade deal such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and inherently distrusted by the people, seeing as its leader was almost unelected.

On the day after the election, Ryan spoke to a crowd in Kenosha, Wisconsin. With a tear in his eyes and sad tone, he spoke tersely.

"Yesterday was not a good day for the Liberal Party; it would be foolish to believe otherwise. Yet we are still the second largest party in Parliament, and there is hope for us in the upcoming days. I wish Leader Pelosi the best of luck when it comes to forming a government. But believe me when I say, we will be back. The Liberals have not been, and will never be, driven into the woods."

Briskly, he walked off the stage. Ryan worried for his future - he had led his party to failure. Whether they will keep him on as Leader will determine if his claim of "we will be back" was merely hollow platitude or a prediction he expected to uphold.

Note: I want to implement an interactive element into this TL - specifically, allowing you, the readers, to participate by being the people in the polls. Does anyone know of a good, free service for me to use to ask several polling questions and post it on here?

Part 2

Federal Governor Jimmy Carter, a universally respected politician and former Prime Minister, was appointed by unanimous vote of the Parliament a few weeks before the election as the Acting President of the United States. Although the title and office of "President" hasn't existed since the 1930s, it was still used as an honorary title for the man or woman chosen to serve as interim leader between the campaign period and the formation of the new government.

The 92-year old Federal Governor, a week after the election, when all the districts results have been verified, knew it was time to announce the formateur, the person who will have the mandate to form a government from Parliament.

Carter arrived at Capitol Hill at 10:30 AM, November 15th, a cold, rainy day. Within the Old Senate Chamber, Carter addressed the crowd of reporters and cameras.

"Good morning, everyone. Before I get to the announcement that everyone have been waiting for, I would first like to thank the Parliament of the United States and the people of our great nation, for this wonderful opportunity to serve my country once again.

Of course, it is now time for the big news. It is obvious, that with 174 seats, that the
formateur of the new Government should come from the Labor Party. And there is no one better suited for that role than that party's leader. Thus, I do nominate Nancy Pelosi as the formateur of the United States of America. Thank you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »

This is the best what-if scenario I've read in a while Smiley

One question, though: with the Presidency abolished, who's acting as a head of state for ceremonial/diplomatic purposes?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »

One question, though: with the Presidency abolished, who's acting as a head of state for ceremonial/diplomatic purposes?

I think in this system, the head of state is fused with the head of government, sort of similar to the South African model, except that the President is also a member of Parliament. So I guess it actually doesn't have a real-life equivalent.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:57 AM »

I think in this system, the head of state is fused with the head of government, sort of similar to the South African model, except that the President is also a member of Parliament. So I guess it actually doesn't have a real-life equivalent.

It's a Nauruan model too, I think.

Personally (just a suggestion) I'd have some sort of non-executive head of state, similar to Germany. Since the title "President" is discredited, such a ceremonial head of state could be called Governor General, Chairman etc. Preferably filled by a respected elder stateman, such as Carter.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »

It's a Nauruan model too, I think.

Personally (just a suggestion) I'd have some sort of non-executive head of state, similar to Germany. Since the title "President" is discredited, such a ceremonial head of state could be called Governor General, Chairman etc. Preferably filled by a respected elder stateman, such as Carter.

Retroactively fixed - the Head of State is the Federal Governor of the United States.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »

Chapter 1.3: Roll up your sleeves, Madame Minister

And we're back to Anderson Cooper's interview with the leader of the Labor Party and formateur of the United States, Nancy Pelosi.

Anderson: Good morning and thanks for being here, Leader Pelosi.

Nancy: Oh, call me Nancy. And thank you and CNN for having me.

Anderson: Congratulations on your appointment of formateur.

Nancy: Thank you.

Anderson: So, Nancy, for those watching at home, your party has 174 seats in this latest Parliament, and you need at least 219 to govern with majority support. Who will fill the 45-seat gap?

Nancy: Well, Anderson, I've obviously thought about that. And I think Labor has plenty of possible coalition partners–

Anderson: Like who?

Nancy: Well, the Farmer-Populists, for starters. We share many of the same values and we both believe that we can use government to work for the working class.

Anderson: The Farmer-Populists only have 19 seats. That means you're still missing 26 seats. Where are you planning to find those?

Nancy: Trust me, we've got many options. We're working on it, Anderson.

Anderson: Tell me about those options.

Nancy: Well, we could always work with the Liberals–

Anderson: Whom you've decried as being controlled by the rich and serving their interests.

Nancy: Well, yes, but attitudes during campaign season change when it comes to governing.

Anderson: Don't you feel like you'll betray your voters then? Assuming you get their support in exchange for fulfilling some part of their agenda.

Nancy: Anderson, no government in the history of this country has been able to fulfill all of their promises and their entire manifesto. Even the great Prime Minister Franklin D. Roosevelt wasn't able to bring all of his plans to fruition, and he had control of nearly 400 seats in Parliament. Compromise has always been the American way, and I see no reason for my government to be different. I will still make sure we get a majority of our manifesto passed, and I'm sure Labor voters will see that and be in agreement.

Anderson: Well, thank you Nancy. That's all the time we have here today.

Goddamn, I blew it, didn't I? Nancy thought to herself.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 07:54:33 PM »

Excellent. Looking forward to how this goes!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 11:51:54 PM »

Methinks we'll get instability with Labor+farmer labor being a minority.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 05:34:29 AM »

Sticked as a featured TL
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »

Chapter 1.4: The Telephone Game

Despite an embarrassing interview with Anderson Cooper, Nancy's approvals stayed relatively stable. A Public Policy Polling poll conducted over the weekend found the following results.

Which of the following would be the best Prime Minister, in your opinion?
Nancy Pelosi - 41%
Cathy McMorris Rodgers - 27%
Paul Ryan - 11%
Collin Peterson - 9%
Somebody Else/Don't Know - 12%

On Wednesday, Labor leader Nancy Pelosi had an interview with Anderson Cooper. Among other things, she stated that "compromise is the American way" and that, if elected Prime Minister, would not be able to fulfill all campaign promises of Labor. How does that impact your perception of her?
Improved my opinion - 14%
No Change - 69%
Decreased my opinion - 17%

It was now high time for some coalition-building, lest public opinion change for the worse. Nancy left the Capitol and caught a taxicab to Watergate, headquarters of the Labor Party. Approximately forty-five years ago, the complex was the scene of the greatest political scandal in American history. Prime Minister Richard Nixon's allies broke into the Labor headquarters ahead of an election and afterwards attempted to cover it up. The following scandal that emerged led to not only the resignation of Prime Minister Nixon, it also led to the death of a major political party, the Union for the Republic. Its collapse led to the eventual emergence of both the Conservatives and the Liberals. Thus, Watergate held symbolic value for the Labor Party, representing their victory over the criminal activities of the disgraced Prime Minister and the Union for the Republic.

Evening had just set in. The office complex was emptying, but Nancy knew she had a long night ahead of her. She sat down at her desk, and begin the long, arduous process of dialing party leaders.

Collin

Collin Peterson has been the leader of the Farmer-Populist Party since 2002, when leader Paul Wellstone perished in a small airplane crash. Ever since, Collin has led his party to more electoral success, expanding its appeal beyond just the Midwest and expanded into the south and west.

"Collin, you know my offer. Work with us in Parliament, you'll get two ministries, just as promised. Farm subsidies will be increased in budgets."

"Well, Nancy. Good evening. Thanks for calling me. I know we had an agreement before the election, but circumstances have changed. My party members have expressed concern over your unhesitating desire to work with the Liberals and compromise. You saw what happened to Paul after that disastrous budget deal with the Conservatives. I can't have that happen to the Farmers."

"Jesus Christ, Collin. We had an agreement."

"I know, I know, Nancy. But I told you, circumstances have changed."

"I can't believe you're giving up this opportunity to work in government. You haven't done this since the Clinton government."

"I can't risk losing support, Nancy."

"Tell you what, Collin. I've got a new deal. 20% increase on farm subsidies in the budget. Three ministries instead of two. None of the big four, obviously. What do you think?"

"Guarantee me agriculture, and I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you Collin. Have a good evening."

One down.

Paul

The Liberals were in a ditch, Paul Ryan knew that. But the one thing that was more uncertain than the future of the Liberal Party was his own political career. While, so far, there haven't been any open challengers or revolts (mostly because no one really wanted his difficult job), there have been whispers of discontentment. Liberal party officials have shown no real concern for Paul's performance as leader, and seem to be content with how he leads. After all, he was basically Prime Minister Gerald Ford, taking over as leader and Prime Minister after his predecessor's resignation. All Paul hoped was that the Liberals would not go the way of the Union for the Republic.

"Paul. Good evening."

"Nancy."

"You know that I need you to work with me if I'm to form a government. I'll give you six ministries. But you have to work with me on the budget."

"Nancy, don't play games with me. Liberal's seats deserve at least eight. And we won't budge on the budget. We're a fiscally conservative party. We support a fiscally conservative budget."

"Paul, I'm your best option. Work with me."

"Don't be ridiculous. Liberals can form a government with the Conservatives just like before the election."

"I guess you really haven't learned your lesson. You think your party's result in the election was just bad luck? People don't want to be led by the Conservatives. How about this - just support us in confidence votes, vote your conscience on legislation."

"I don't think that's the best path for us. Good night, Nancy."

"Night, Paul."

Damn. I'm at the end of my rope. Nancy reclined back in her seat, wondering how to rescue a government before it is even formed. Two hours pass in silence.

Ileana

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Nancy Pelosi were old friends. Both joined the Parliament within two years of each other, Ileana having won a by-election in South Florida. Despite being members of different parties, their friendship developed as two of the few women in Parliament at that time. However, while Nancy rose through the ranks of Labor, Ileana was treated no better than a backbencher. Yet in her relatively weak position, Ileana created her own caucus within the Liberal Party, the Liberal Main Street Partnership, a centrist coalition.

She finally had her shot to be a kingmaker. She rung up Nancy's office.

"Good evening, Nancy."

"Ileana! I haven't been expecting this call."

"This might be a bit crazy, and I don't know how Paul will react, but I have an offer for you."

"You have my ear, Ileana."

"I've been disrespected by my party's leadership for long enough. They know I want a ministry, yet they consistently pass over me in favor of some incompetent bumpkin from California or wherever. I know I can get at least 30 Representatives to join me and work with you."

"What... Ileana, this is unprecedented."

"I know, I know. And you know this is risky for me. We will be part of your government, but you know I need something in return. Give me an offer and I'll know if you're serious."

"Oh, Ileana. I'm not sure. Three ministries. One of the big four for you."

Silence ensued for two minutes.

"I'm glad you understand me, Nancy. Or should I say, Prime Minister? I'll confer with my caucus and I'll get back to you immediately."

"Ileana, you are a godsend."

"I get that often. Good night, Nancy. Not a word of this gets to Paul."

"Of course. Good night."

Thank you, Ileana. Thank you, Ileana. Nancy packed her things and turned off the lamp. Her dream of being Prime Minister might come to light. Finally.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 11:25:07 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2017, 11:30:41 PM by Bring Back the Big Tent »

Reference for Chapter 1
Parliament

Government - 221:
Labor - 174
Farmer-Populist - 19
Liberals - 28

Official Opposition - 104:
Conservatives - 104

Other Opposition - 111
Liberals - 93
Libertarians - 11
New Deseret - 5
Natives' Interests - 2

The First Pelosi Government
2016-2018

Prime Minister Nancy Pelosi (Lab-San Francisco)

Secondary Minister Adam Schiff (Lab-Burbank)

Chancellor Nita Lowey (Lab-Rockland) /   Foreign Minister Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (Lib-Biscayne) /   Defense Minister Adam Smith (Lab-Puget Sound)

Justice Minister Barack Obama (Lab-Chicago SW)/Industry Minister Heath Schuler (Lab-Blue Ridge Mts)/Agriculture Minister Collin Peterson (FP-10,000 Lakes)

Education Minister Michael Bennet (Lab-Denver North)/Health Minister Michelle Lujan Grisham (Lab-Albuquerque)/Labor Minister Tim Ryan (Lab-Akron East)

Welfare Minister Carte Goodwin (Lab-Tygart Valley) /Veterans' Minister Martha McSally (Lib-Chiricahua) / Security Minister Henry Cuellar (Lab-Laredo)

Energy Minister Doris Matsui (Lab-Sacremento West) /Minister for Aging Joe Donnelley (Lab-St Joseph) /Trade Minister Ron Kind (FP-Menominee)

Transportation Minister Frank LoBoindo (Lib-Cape May) /Environment Minister Betsy Markey (FP-South Platte) /Minister Without Portfolio Joseph P. Kennedy III (Lab-Walden Pond)
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 12:20:33 AM »

Before I get to the next chapter, I want to answer all questions and concerns readers may have - so ask away!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »

What are OTL's MA-02, NC-09, and NC-12 called ITTL (Also others, if applicable)?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2017, 08:59:02 PM by Kamala »

What are OTL's MA-02, NC-09, and NC-12 called ITTL (Also others, if applicable)?

Worcester, Sandhills, and Charlotte, respectively. I don't have all of them complied, but I have Alabama through Kansas finished, excluding California, Illinois, and Florida.
Libertarian in Name Only
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 08:19:43 PM »

This looks really good. Are all the representatives the same as they are irl?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2017, 09:03:23 PM by Kamala »

This looks really good. Are all the representatives the same as they are irl?

Not all of them; all of the Conservatives in OTL Republican seats are the same, as are Liberals. Labor in OTL Democrat seats are the same, save for Obama replacing Bobby Rush. Others are varied, just for more correctly ideologically-aligned representatives for their parties; e.g. Betsy Markey in CO-04 instead of Ken Buck, Carte Goodwin instead of Alex Mooney in WV-02. Additionally, since there is no senate, some OTL senators are representatives in this TL, such as Bennet in Colorado, and Donnelley in IN-02 (where he actually was a representative.)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 08:30:49 PM »

Worcester, Sandhills, and Charlotte, respectively. I don't have all of them complied, but I have Alabama through Kansas finished, excluding California and Florida.
Since you haven't done Florida, I'd like to volunteer as a translator of Florida numbers to names, if you need that sort of thing. PM me if you'd like help! PS, this timeline looks great so far. Really innovative
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 11:59:56 PM »

This is really excellent. Glad to see Donnelly got in the cabinet!
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2017, 11:19:32 PM by Kamala »

Chapter 1.5: Mistakes Were Made

Upon the discovery of the rebellion of Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and 27 other party members, the Liberal party leadership were enraged. Nearly a quarter of their caucus went against the will of the leader, and directly helped their main opposition party form a government.

Eric Cantor, a former representative from Virginia, used to be the number three guy in the Liberal party. Yet when he was defeated in a primary and subsequently resigned, he was given a cushy job at the Liberal headquarters in Norfolk, Virginia. Yet, today, his cushy job has been giving him intense headaches. He called Paul Ryan to his office.

"Paul, I hope you understand I don't want to do this. But simply put, our party right now is a national embarrassment."

"I had no idea. Ileana never spoke to me about. Not even Nancy had the decency to tell me this."

"That's exactly the problem, Ryan. You've got no control of your members. You've got no leadership left."

"What do you want me to do, Eric? We're in the woodwork right now. We've been routed in the election, and we've been routed in government formation. What, do you want me to kick the traitors out of the party?"

"No, Ryan. We're going to need those seats if we ever want to gain control of the White House again."

"Then what?"

"I'm certain you won't like this."

"Eric?"

"I'm going to make sure a leadership spill happens. If you survive, I can promise you'll keep your position until after the next election."

"Jesus Christ, Eric. I can't believe you're willing to weaken this party even farther when we're in this position."

"I've got no other choice. You've let our caucus slip through your fingers."

"I wholeheartedly disagree with you."

"That's too bad. I suggest you get your soldiers in line before your army deserts you completely. Good day, Paul."

Paul Ryan left Cantor's office, and drove back to Washington. Once he arrived at his apartment, he turned on the TV, to near-instant regret.

Steve Scalise, the Liberal Representative for Delta, was speaking to reporters.

"I believe the ascension of Paul Ryan to the Liberal Party's leader position was a mistake, and my vote  in support of him was a mistake, which I regret. In order to correct that, I am formally announcing my intentions to run for Leader of the Liberal Party. I am challenging Leader Ryan because it is time that the Liberal Party has a leader that protects the values and the integrity of the party. Ryan has shown his incompetence in governing, in campaigning, and in maintaining party unity. "

God damn it. Paul thought to himself. Could Eric have pushed for a more acrimonious challenger? I don't know how I'm going to survive.

Ryan opened up a beer, gulped it down, and went to sleep. Yet the next morning wouldn't bring any relief.

Kyrsten Sinema (Lib-Maricopa), a rising star in the Liberal party and one of the 28 defectors, was speaking to a crowd inside a theatre in Mesa.

Sh*t, why is this on the news? Paul wondered, clutching a cup of coffee.

"Good morning, Arizona. I know many of us have been upset with Leader Ryan, and I am no different. He has been divisive, he has prevented our party from creating a government that works for America, and he has refused to budge on many issues that have alienated our party from many voters. It's no wonder that in this latest election, the Liberals have performed among the worst they have in the past two decades. It is an embarrassment, and Paul Ryan is an embarrassment.

Although Representative Scalise announced yesterday his intentions to replace Ryan, I do not believe he is the correct path forward for our party. If elected Leader, I believe Mr. Scalise will make the Liberal Party look a lot more like the Conservatives. And that's not right for our party.  He is an improvement over Ryan, but I believe that we, as a party, could do much, much better. Thus, I have an announcement to make.

I am formally nominating my good friend, a great force in our party, Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, for the position of Liberal Party Leader. She has consistently won by impressive margins in areas where our party typically does not perform well. She is not just a Biscayne institution, not just a Florida institution, but an American institution. She has shown that the Liberal Party can thrive if it moderates, if it seized ground that Labor has traditionally dominated.

I hope my fellow representatives will join me in an effort to make our party stronger  and more in touch with Americans. Call your representatives and make sure they make you proud on on January 25th. Have a good morning, and may our party become stronger than ever before."

Well, keeping my job got either a whole lot harder or a whole lot easier. Paul mused. While now there is a champion for the moderate wing of the Liberal Party, there would be more infighting, and both Scalise and Ros-Lehtinen will have to attack each other as well as Ryan.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »

Hey y'all - in regards to my latest post - how would you feel about participating as representatives voting for the Liberal Leader. Just a quick poll or something.

I'm gauging if people want that interactive element that could change the direction of the TL, or if they just want me to continue writing it.

Tell me your thoughts!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »

I honestly think you're doing a great job on your own, but it's your timeline.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 11:43:44 PM »

Whatever you think would make this more interesting. Loving this so far
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 04:50:52 AM »

Could you possibly provide a list of past Prime Ministers?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies