I compose some questions for the pasage. Are they proper?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:13:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  I compose some questions for the pasage. Are they proper?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I compose some questions for the pasage. Are they proper?  (Read 254 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:19:54 AM »

Blaise Pascal was a French mathematician. He was born in Clermont-Ferrand, France in 1623.
His mother died when he was three years old. His father's name was Étienne. Pascal was completely educated by his father.
Pascal was considered a child prodigy. Though best known for his works in math, including the creation of Pascal's Triangle, which is named after him, and developments in the field of probability, Pascal was also a scientist. He wrote in support of the scientific method and also contributed to physics.
Pascal invented a form of counting machine which helped inventors create the calculator in the 20th century.
In 1662,Pascal died in Paris, France at the age of 39. He had several illnesses. It is not known which of them caused his death.
Pascal's inventions and discoveries have been instrumental to developments in the fields of geometry, physics and computer science, influencing 17th-century visionaries like Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz and Isaac Newton.
During the 20th century, the Pascal (Pa) unit was named after the thinker in honor of his contributions to the understanding of atmospheric pressure and how it could be estimated in terms of weight.
In the late 1960s, Swiss computer scientist Nicklaus Wirth invented a computer language and insisted on naming it after Pascal. This was Wirth's way of memorializing Pascal's invention of the Pascaline, one of the earliest forms of the modern computer.

1. Pascal has contributed to following fields except_______.
A. geometry      B. physics      C.   medicine         D. computer

2. What does the underlined word prodigy mean?
A.   someone with a very great ability that usually shows itself when that person is a young child
B.   someone shows great interests in many subjects at an early age
C.   someone who is good at operating computer as a kid
D.   someone who was forced to leave school for poor health

3. From the passage, we can know that
A. the counting machine Pascal invented was called calculator
B. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz was born before Pascal
C. Pascal is considered a thinker
D. Pascal invented a kind of computer language
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:31:35 AM »

Everything looks fine for the most part, except maybe:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Though your second sentence in the second paragraph is correct, I offer a revision. It's just a personal preference, but I tend to confine sentences to two commas at most wherever possible (with the exception of listing items; "I have this thing, that thing, that other thing, that thing over there and this last thing").

Otherwise, the sentence can seem long-winded and fragmented to some degree. I feel they read better this way:

I could also see myself doing this. A hack, of sorts, since I consider the part in parentheses separate from the sentence. I don't feel that it violates my "two-comma" rule:

You also may want to indicate in your sentence (either with quotation marks or underlining) that the word "prodigy" is the underlined word in the sentence, even if it is obvious and underlined on your material. You may already be planning to do this.

Nothing is wrong with your passage, though.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:34:50 AM »

Oh, and:

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »

Not bad though. Nice work.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »

President Xi will be promoting you, v.  Nice work.
v0031
China
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2017, 01:38:28 AM by v0031 »

And I also compose this one.

One day, the King of the Forest called for a meeting. He was preparing to go for war. He wanted to give each animal a job 1.
To the Elephant, he said, “Elephant, you should carry all the weapons of war on your back and fight 2 with great strength.”
Then, the Lion told the Bear, “Be prepared to rush in while the war is on 3, we may need you if the enemy is pushing us over.”
He said to the Fox, “Your 4 task is to fix all the secret plots.” Then, he called the Monkey and said, “Take care that the enemies should be amused by your tricks 5.”
While all the animals waited their turn, one of them said, “What use 6 are the Ass and the Hare? They are too afraid 7 to fight. Send them home.”
“No,” said the King, “everyone has a part to play 8. Without their help we would be incomplete.”
Then the King said, “The Ass shall be our trumpeter, to scare our enemy. And then the lively Hare will carry home the report of our victory 9.”
In 10 this way, the wise King got all the animals involved and ready for battle.

( )1   A.game   B.job   C.prize   D.ride
( )2   A.fight   B.learn   C.talk   D.play
( )3   A.on   B.off   C.up   D.down
( )4   A.My   B.Your   C.His   D.Its
( )5   A.hair   B.tail   C.mouth   D.tricks
( )6   A.use   B.number   C.aim   D.direct
( )7   A.strong   B.incomplete   C.confident   D.strict
( )8   A.feel   B.listen   C.play   D.watch
( )9   A.victory   B.dream   C.plan   D.solution
( )10   A.In   B.On   C.By   D.Under

v0031
China
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 03:53:23 AM »

Today I compose this for my students.

A brave 10-year-old girl is lucky to be alive after successfully fending off an alligator that attacked her in Orlando over the weekend.
Little Juliana Ossa knew exactly what to do to 1 her life.
“I was in the water and there was a mean nine-foot gator biting my leg. The alligator grabbed my leg, I tried hitting it to release me but it didn't 2." The girl said.
The situation happened Saturday at Mary Jane Lake, about 26 miles from Disney World. She was swimming in just a foot of water 3 the gator attacked.
She not only punched the beast in the nose, Ossa actually shoved her two little fingers into the gator's nostrils and pried his 4 open.
Thanks to what she learned at a nearby alligator park, Gatorland, the young lady knew how to handle herself.
"I used 5 they taught me at Gatorland, so I put my two fingers up its nostrils and it couldn't breath and had to breath from its mouth and then let my 6 out," she said.
"At 10 years old, to have that much wherewithal to do what she did is incredible. We are so 7 of her that she got out of there with as little damage as she got," said Tim Williams of Gatorland.
If you come in contact 8 an alligator, expert Jordon Munns told reporters that you want to poke him in the eye or the ear and you want to make as much noise as possible.
"Gators are afraid of humans," he said. "If you are screaming and making as 9 scene as possible while doing these things, there is a good chance the alligator is going to think: 'I am used to eating things that don't 10 back,' and let go of you."
Park officials say they're keeping the waterfront areas closed this week out of an abundance of caution.

(  )1.   A.   take   B.   save   C.   start   D.   make
(  )2.   A.   work   B.   lose   C.   get   D.   mind
(  )3.   A.   before   B.   after   C.   if   D.   when
(  )4.   A.   eyes,   B.   ears   C.   mouth   D.   nose
(  )5.   A.   how   B.   what   C.   why   D.   when
(  )6.   A.   head   B.   hand   C.   leg   D.   foot
(  )7.   A.   scared   B.   tired   C.   shamed   D.   proud
(  )8.   A.   to   B.   on   C.   with   D.   for
(  )9.   A.   many   B.   much   C.   more   D.   most
(  )10.   A.   put   B.   set   C.   fight   D.   turn
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »