2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:17:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 75
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread  (Read 231248 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2017, 02:25:35 AM »

^ Really good candidate. But district is still difficult. For any Democrat...
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »

There's totally a scenario where the AHCA dies in the Senate and completely fades from public memory by the time November 2018 rolls around. Not ready to start celebrating yet.

That wouldn't stop "Congressman X voted to take away your health care" ads.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2017, 12:54:54 PM »

David Jolly told Poltico he is seeing serious early warning signs for 2018 http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/06/obamacare-repeal-house-2018-238064
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »

You know what, until I see dems with consistent double digit leads in Oklahoma's governors race in October 2018, I'm not believing it.
swf541

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »

There's totally a scenario where the AHCA dies in the Senate and completely fades from public memory by the time November 2018 rolls around. Not ready to start celebrating yet.

That wouldn't stop "Congressman X voted to take away your health care" ads.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »

Hillarycare never went to a vote but still cost Bill Clinton both houses of Congress in 1994.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/blvmt31w4l/econTabReport.pdf

Yougov:
Democrats - 38
Republicans - 35
Not Sure - 17
Other - 3
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »

Ds should consider mounting a serious challenge against Chris Collins, I remember Lee Terry made that stupid comment about his paycheck during the shutdown in 2013 and it cost him.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »

Ds should consider mounting a serious challenge against Chris Collins, I remember Lee Terry made that stupid comment about his paycheck during the shutdown in 2013 and it cost him.

Looks like Kathy Hochul is being recruited for a rematch against Collins hopefully she follows through with it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/06/us/politics/health-care-vote.html
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 11:23:51 AM by Castro »

Former Cuomo aide Gareth Rhodes will challenge John Faso (NY-19).

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2017/05/07/former-cuomo-aide-to-challenge-faso-111866

Laura Moser, founder of Daily Action, is running in TX-7 against John Culberson.

https://moserforcongress.com
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2017, 11:43:09 AM »

"Rhodes will move back to his native home of upstate New York"

Didn't we go through this with the last two candidates for this seat?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 12:44:18 PM by publicunofficial »

MN-03: Wealthy businessman Dean Phillips (D) is officially IN against Eric Paulsen.

NY-24: The DCCC is reportedly very close to recruiting Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner. Miner had previously declined to run in 2016.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »

"Rhodes will move back to his native home of upstate New York"

Didn't we go through this with the last two candidates for this seat?
Well neither of them ever lived in the district.  He has at least spent some of his life there.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2017, 12:35:23 PM »

MN-03: Wealthy businessman Dean Phillips (D) is officially IN against Eric Paulsen.

NY-24: The DCCC is reportedly very close to recruiting Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Milner. Milner had previously declined to run in 2016.

Miner would be a big get. The suburbs of course are where Katko has had his margins but she'd be the top recruit bar none
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »

NE-02: Former Rep. Brad Ashford and his wife Ann Ashford will announce which one of them will run for Congress on Wednesday after Tuesday's Omaha Mayor election.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »

NY-27: Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul reportedly being approached to challenge Chris Collins
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »

DCCC is trying to recruit Jim Gray (who may or may not be interested) for a run in KY-6 against Andy Barr.

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/861640729172611075
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »

DCCC is trying to recruit Jim Gray (who may or may not be interested) for a run in KY-6 against Andy Barr.

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/861640729172611075

He'd be a huge get, one who'd instantly make this a tossup (tilt R at worst).
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 07:16:05 PM by Ted Bessell »

Antonio Sabato Jr. is challenging my Congresswoman, Julia Brownley.

Since the bench here is so thin, and he has a famous name/decent personal wealth, I think he may actually be one of the strongest possible recruits. His friendliness with the Trump White House has the potential to be a blessing or a curse, depending on how he plays his hand, but this is going to be a fun race to watch.

EDIT: He's said that Obama is a Muslim, and seems to be fairly hardline on immigration -- probably not great things in this particular district Tongue
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »

Since the bench here is so thin, and he has a famous name/decent personal wealth, I think he may actually be one of the strongest possible recruits. His friendliness with the Trump White House has the potential to be a blessing or a curse, depending on how he plays his hand, but this is going to be a fun race to watch.

EDIT: He's said that Obama is a Muslim, and seems to be fairly hardline on immigration -- probably not great things in this particular district Tongue

Also, this district voted for Clinton by 22 points over Trump - considering his entire political career has been as a barnacle on the Trump train (mixed metaphor, I know), I doubt he's going to give Brownley a run.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »

Also, this district voted for Clinton by 22 points over Trump - considering his entire political career has been as a barnacle on the Trump train (mixed metaphor, I know), I doubt he's going to give Brownley a run.

When most Americans think "Antonio Sabato Jr," their minds go to his filmography rather than his more outlandish statements. That's probably the only thing that can save him. :/

Brownley won her 2014 race in large part by successfully defining her opponent as a Tea Partying radical, and he wasn't half the target that Sabato is. If she can do the same this time (and early reports make it seem like his campaign strategy will make this easy for her) she should be fine.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »

When most Americans think "Antonio Sabato Jr," their minds go to his filmography rather than his more outlandish statements. That's probably the only thing that can save him. :/

Brownley won her 2014 race in large part by successfully defining her opponent as a Tea Partying radical, and he wasn't half the target that Sabato is. If she can do the same this time (and early reports make it seem like his campaign strategy will make this easy for her) she should be fine.

most americans don't think about "Antonio Sabato Jr". He's not even the most prominent flop celebrity to back Trump - Scott Baeo is.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »

most americans don't think about "Antonio Sabato Jr". He's not even the most prominent flop celebrity to back Trump - Scott Baeo is.

This is true, but the point is that most of the name recognition that he has is separate from the crazy stuff he's said.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »

This won't be even a serious contest. Brownley won by a 20 point margin last year while Hillary garnered a 22 point win here. The climate right now is cold for Republicans as well to run in districts like CA-26 in the era of Trump as well.

News at 11.

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 07:58:04 PM by Ted Bessell »

This won't be even a serious contest. Brownley won by a 20 point margin last year while Hillary garnered a 22 point win here. The climate right now is cold for Republicans as well to run in districts like CA-26 in the era of Trump as well.

News at 11.

Last cycle was basically the perfect storm for Republicans to crash in this district: a Republican Presidential nominee who was anathema to both Latinos and suburban whites, no Senate candidate, and an unfunded nobody as the Republican Congressional candidate. Two years earlier, Brownley only narrowly defeated her Republican opponent.

I think that a Republican could win in the ideal climate. However, I don't think 2018 is likely to be that climate, Brownley is a near-perfect fit for the district, and the more I read about Sabato, the less I think he's even close to being that Republican.

However, it should still be interesting, if only for the fact that Sabato is an... interesting... guy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies