Poll: Sessions comment about 'an island in the Pacific' is dog-whistle bigotry ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:52:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Sessions comment about 'an island in the Pacific' is dog-whistle bigotry ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you believe that Sessions' comment about 'an island in the Pacific' is dog-whistle bigotry ?
Yes. It is pure dog-whistle bigotry.
No, but the comment is still stupid.
No. There is nothing wrong with the comment.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poll: Sessions comment about 'an island in the Pacific' is dog-whistle bigotry ?  (Read 2836 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:54:48 PM »
« edited: April 22, 2017, 11:27:19 AM by ProudModerate2 »

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said this week he was amazed that a judge in Hawaii could block President Donald Trump's executive order halting immigration from several majority Muslim countries.

Sessions made the comments in an interview with "The Mark Levin Show" Tuesday evening that was put online Wednesday.

"We've got cases moving in the very, very liberal Ninth Circuit, who, they've been hostile to the order," Sessions said. "We won a case in Virginia recently that was a nicely-written order that just demolished, I thought, all the arguments that some of the other people have been making. We are confident that the President will prevail on appeal and particularly in the Supreme Court, if not the Ninth Circuit. So this is a huge matter. I really am amazed that a judge sitting on an island in the Pacific can issue an order that stops the President of the United States from what appears to be clearly his statutory and Constitutional power."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politics/kfile-sessions-psychoanalyze/index.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The island is Hawaii ! !
It is a State of our nation. Just like Nebraska, Wisconsin, etc !
What the f**k is Sessions up to ?
What an idiot !

Vote and discuss.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »

It's a dumb, condescending comment, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be a dogwhistle for?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »

It's a dumb, condescending comment, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be a dogwhistle for?

Yeah. Dog-whistling implies a degree of deliberate understanding of  what he's doing. Instead, I think this is just an example of pure old-fashioned stupid ignorance and incompetence. (Something that's rapidly becoming the hallmark of government by Trump.)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »

Asians and Pacific Islanders not being "real America."
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »

I think it's indicative that Sessions needs a political geography lesson about what actually constitutes American territory. Any day now I'm expecting this administration to vow to crack down on the illegals flowing in from Puerto Rico.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:37:46 PM »

"They were a minority type thing and it wasn’t glamorous, so she came home."  -Sarah Palin's father talking about her in Hawaii.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »

Asians and Pacific Islanders not being "real America."

I suppose, but how many Americans are aware that Hawaii is majority A/PI? Does Sessions know?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 10:13:36 PM »

The pure intention is to denigrate Hawaii and reduce its significance because of its geographic location and, of course, other factors. Puerto Rico gets the same treatment all the time. It's even more so ridiculous given that Hawaii is a state, but that doesn't stop old ignorant fools employed by an ignorant and foolish administration.

The very fact that he made this statement underscores what his viewpoints are, but we were well aware of them far before he was confirmed.

It's certainly bigotry and, at worst, asinine ignorance by the ATTORNEY GENERAL of the United States.

Then Republicans turn around and ask, "why muh minorutuhs nuh vuht fur us?"
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 10:29:15 PM »

The idea I think is that being in the middle of the Pacific insulates them somehow from the Muslim terrorist threat the rest of us face. Which is hilariously moronic but not racist against Japanese or whatever.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »

I don't like Sessions, but he rightly figures he can tell Hawaii to F off with impunity. I don't blame him, as they'd probably think the same of him. Hawaii used to be very careful to show its loyalty to the United States by voting Republican once in a while (Nixon '72, Reagan '84) and not become the most Democratic state in the country. Since they've dropped that obeisance, they've lost some of their protection, too.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 10:37:23 PM »

I don't like Sessions, but he rightly figures he can tell Hawaii to F off with impunity. I don't blame him, as they'd probably think the same of him. Hawaii used to be very careful to show its loyalty to the United States by voting Republican once in a while (Nixon '72, Reagan '84) and not become the most Democratic state in the country. Since they've dropped that obeisance, they've lost some of their protection, too.

What? So they have to shuffle their voting patterns to keep both parties satisfied regardless of how they feel they should be represent or else they deserve to be subjected to this bigotry? I'll say this nicely. Your train of thought is right in line with Sessions' worldview.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »

What? So they have to shuffle their voting patterns to keep both parties satisfied regardless of how they feel they should be represent or else they deserve to be subjected to this bigotry? I'll say this nicely. Your train of thought is right in line with Sessions' worldview.

It's just reality. We've just had a campaign where one candidate and his supporters promised to lock up the other one. If you're not a part of the winning coalition, you don't get respect. Why this is surprising to anyone is a mystery.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 10:45:45 PM »

It's just reality. We've just had a campaign where one candidate and his supporters promised to lock up the other one. If you're not a part of the winning coalition, you don't get respect. Why this is surprising to anyone is a mystery.

There is a basic level of respect to which all officials should adhere, even more so when talking about a member of the union. What IS surprising are comments like yours that shrug it off as if it should be normal and acceptable.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 10:51:26 PM »

Donald Trump was (allegedly) elected to be president of all fifty states, not just the ones that voted for him.  Why you think it should be acceptable for a president to openly neglect or disregard a state that did not vote for him is the real mystery.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:01:53 PM »

Eh, I like you guys, but this is pretty much the mentality that cost Clinton the election. There's no world where what you're saying isn't incredibly naive, and I feel that once again, as the messenger I am going to be "shot" for this. And as much as I find bronz's repetitions annoying, both sides do it. Did or did not Obama travel more often to swing states, while avoiding deep red states like Idaho, Utah, and South Dakota until the 7th year of his presidency? Did or did not Hillary call half of Trump's supporters "deplorables"? Sessions is not doing anything qualitatively different. Liberals always dream for a nation of kumbaya with conservatives due to our collectivist ideology, but it's just not happening.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 11:08:46 PM »

Eh, I like you guys, but this is pretty much the mentality that cost Clinton the election. There's no world where what you're saying isn't incredibly naive, and I feel that once again, as the messenger I am going to be "shot" for this. And as much as I find bronz's repetitions annoying, both sides do it. Did or did not Obama travel more often to swing states, while avoiding deep red states like Idaho, Utah, and South Dakota until the 7th year of his presidency? Did or did not Hillary call half of Trump's supporters "deplorables"? Sessions is not doing anything qualitatively different. Liberals always dream for a nation of kumbaya with conservatives due to our collectivist ideology, but it's just not happening.

Not campaigning in uncompetitive states or calling racists and sexists deplorable is not the same as dismissing states because a judge there made a ruling they didn't like.  Are you seriously this dense?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:52 PM »

Donald Trump was (allegedly) elected to be president of all fifty states, not just the ones that voted for him.  Why you think it should be acceptable for a president to openly neglect or disregard a state that did not vote for him is the real mystery.

That's simply what America's coming to under current Republican rule. They've expressed zero interest in representing the interests of the country - only those of the states and citizens that elected them. That's why you have comments such as this by Sessions and constant assaults on voting rights aimed at minority and young voters. They're still clinging bitterly to an America that's quickly slipping away; one that could only elect Trump due to an electoral college that disproportionately favors rural, White states. They control the Senate the same way, and only hold such a strong position in the House thanks to gerrymandering and voter suppression. Without those institutionalized privileges, they'd either be relegated to permanent minority status or actually have to reach out to new demographic groups.

With that said, Democrats haven't done much to reach out either. We've largely insulated ourselves just like Republicans; both culturally and geographically. Few Democrats make honest attempts at outreach to Trump voters or attempt to represent the cultural values of millions of Americans that often conflict with the more socially acceptable urban and cosmopolitan values. Instead, they're labeled "deplorables" and called ignorant, racist, redneck, and so on. This is the consequence of a highly polarized and deeply culturally divided country where both sides, when they have power, attempt to force their views and values on the whole country, while met with staunch opposition and obstructionism. Neither side seems ready to lay down their arms to negotiate and many would want the elected officials on their side willing to do that to be hung for treason (primaried).
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 11:16:44 PM »

I think Beet is just trying to get responses. If Eric Holder or Loretta Lynch had made a similar comment about a small red state, the right-wing would be up in arms about it and not so dismissive. Just because you don't like how a state votes does not mean you should not respect said state's status as part of the union. Jeff Sessions is just a good old boy who sees Hawaii as some exotic location that isn't part of "America" in the traditionalist sense. Plenty of people still see the lower 48 or just certain states as "real America".
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »

I think Beet is just trying to get responses. If Eric Holder or Loretta Lynch had made a similar comment about a small red state, the right-wing would be up in arms about it and not so dismissive. Just because you don't like how a state votes does not mean you should not respect said state's status as part of the union. Jeff Sessions is just a good old boy who sees Hawaii as some exotic location that isn't part of "America" in the traditionalist sense. Plenty of people still see the lower 48 or just certain states as "real America".

Correct. And there would be also posters here saying stuff like "Holder is right. Those racist West Virginia hicks can die off!" Just like there are liberals saying we should let the GOP repeal Obamacare if it hurts Trump states the most, or celebrating health care being taken away from them.

But of course I'm just a troll looking to get responses? No. I'm just injecting some reality in the discussion.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 11:25:37 PM »

Correct. And there would be also posters here saying stuff like "Holder is right. Those racist West Virginia hicks can die off!" Just like there are liberals saying we should let the GOP repeal Obamacare if it hurts Trump states the most, or celebrating health care being taken away from them.

But of course I'm just a troll looking to get responses? No. I'm just injecting some reality in the discussion.

If states that benefit from the ACA the most ended up losing out because it's repeal, that would just be an issue of elections having consequences and those people getting what they voted for, which would be reality.

Saying that Hawaii should vote Republican just to be recognized as a state by certain people is an attention seeking statement.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 11:33:59 PM »

I said Hawaii used to vote Republican once in a while to show its loyalty.

South Dakota is the most anti-incumbent state in the union. This was probably the most extreme case of that.

True, though McPherson has had no problem whatsoever voting for Republican incumbents since then.

Any theories as to why SD is so anti-incumbent, by the way? I've heard this often repeated and election returns do seem to bear it out, but was curious if there is any logic as to why this is the case. Hawaii's pro-incumbent bias has been explained in some articles as being due to the Asian/Pacific Islander population tending to favor continuity and tradition as part of their culture and in a desire to appear "mainstream" and avoid extremist positions and politicians (for an example, look at how badly both Goldwater and McGovern did in HI) possibly in part due to their patriotism and national loyalty having been so strongly questioned during World War 2.

I suppose Nym is an attention-seeking troll as well?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 01:03:22 AM »

.... an example of pure old-fashioned stupid ignorance and incompetence. (Something that's rapidly becoming the hallmark of government by Trump.)

Here, Here !
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 02:04:14 AM »

A stupid comment, but hardly a dogwhistle.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 02:08:09 AM »

So do we only have 49 states now?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 02:58:20 AM »

"They were a minority type thing and it wasn’t glamorous, so she came home."  -Sarah Palin's father talking about her in Hawaii.

An aside -- with her slangy speech, Sarah Palin had a difficult time relating to people whose first language is not English. I have found that when talking to people who are not native speakers of English it is wise to cleave strictly to the formal register in which English is taught to learners of English as a  second language. This is irrespective of how close the first language is to English in its grammar (it applies alike for French as for Chinese) or the level of proficiency of English of the non-native speaker. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies