The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:30:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Nightmare Scenario for Florida’s Coastal Homeowners  (Read 769 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:57 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-04-19/the-nightmare-scenario-for-florida-s-coastal-homeowners
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »

I don't know a lot about tides, but I know enough to know this makes no sense.  There are a little less than two "high" tides per day, it doesn't matter if the sun is up or not.

(note, I'm not saying the sun doesn't play a role in tides, I'm saying the sun being up or not doesn't tell if you the current tide is a "high" one)
mencken
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »

Taking the article's word for it, they think sea levels will go from rising four inches in twenty-five years to rising thirty-six inches in forty-three years? Not that such a chaotic shift is impossible, but they better have some extraordinary evidence to justify such extraordinary extrapolation. Given past performance of such models, I think the low (i.e. linear) estimate is a more reasonable projection.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:50:30 AM »

I don't know a lot about tides, but I know enough to know this makes no sense.  There are a little less than two "high" tides per day, it doesn't matter if the sun is up or not.

(note, I'm not saying the sun doesn't play a role in tides, I'm saying the sun being up or not doesn't tell if you the current tide is a "high" one)

I'm pretty sure the contrast is with rainy days that swell flooding, rather than with nighttime. People find flooding during a rainstorm less inexplicable than flooding beneath the sun.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:55:10 AM »

Taking the article's word for it, they think sea levels will go from rising four inches in twenty-five years to rising thirty-six inches in forty-three years? Not that such a chaotic shift is impossible, but they better have some extraordinary evidence to justify such extraordinary extrapolation. Given past performance of such models, I think the low (i.e. linear) estimate is a more reasonable projection.

A linear projection is probably too conservative.  From https://seagrant.noaa.gov/Portals/0/Documents/what_we_do/climate/Florida%20Report%20on%20Climate%20Change%20and%20SLR.pdf:

However, I agree that an increase of 36 inches in 43 years seems extremely high.  The above study says that it's probable that "Global average sea level will rise by 0.5–1.0 meter
(about 20–40 inches) and possibly more by 2100", and that it's possible that "Major inputs of water from the melting of high-latitude and high-altitude ice reservoirs could cause a global average sea-level rise of up to two meters this century and several more meters over the subsequent centuries (Rahmstorf, 2010)."
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »

Floridians need not worry! The King Canute routine of their chosen leaders Rick Scott and Donald Trump will surely save them from rising sea levels!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »

I don't know a lot about tides, but I know enough to know this makes no sense.  There are a little less than two "high" tides per day, it doesn't matter if the sun is up or not.

I'm pretty sure the contrast is with rainy days that swell flooding, rather than with nighttime. People find flooding during a rainstorm less inexplicable than flooding beneath the sun.
ahhh, that makes sense.  "out" vs "up"

nit pick rescinded
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:22:25 AM »

A linear projection is probably too conservative.  From https://seagrant.noaa.gov/Portals/0/Documents/what_we_do/climate/Florida%20Report%20on%20Climate%20Change%20and%20SLR.pdf:

However, I agree that an increase of 36 inches in 43 years seems extremely high.  The above study says that it's probable that "Global average sea level will rise by 0.5–1.0 meter
(about 20–40 inches) and possibly more by 2100", and that it's possible that "Major inputs of water from the melting of high-latitude and high-altitude ice reservoirs could cause a global average sea-level rise of up to two meters this century and several more meters over the subsequent centuries (Rahmstorf, 2010)."

True but that paper is from 2010. Last spring new estimates were released revision projections sharply higher.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/03/30/antarctic-loss-could-double-expected-sea-level-rise-by-2100-scientists-say/?utm_term=.7bec5114bac7
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »

I don't know a lot about tides, but I know enough to know this makes no sense.  There are a little less than two "high" tides per day, it doesn't matter if the sun is up or not.

It's not totally crazy, either, since sunny weather is associated with higher atmospheric pressure, which lowers tidewaters, while rainy weather is associated with lower atmospheric pressure, which raises tidewaters (storm surge), sometimes quite extremely when associated with large pressure anomalies (such as those found near the center of tropical cyclones).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »

Telling that their houses will go from supremely valuable to unmarketable will really scare people.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »

Sorry but this subject doesn't seem like it belongs here.
mencken
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 09:34:13 AM »

I was citing the figures in the paper cited in the article itself. The graphs on page 36 show that the out-of-sample data fits far better with the linear estimate than the catastrophic exponential estimates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies