Earning Less Than Their Wives Makes U.S. Men More Partisan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:31:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Earning Less Than Their Wives Makes U.S. Men More Partisan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Earning Less Than Their Wives Makes U.S. Men More Partisan  (Read 302 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »

https://hbr.org/2017/04/earning-less-than-their-wives-makes-u-s-men-more-partisan

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thoughts?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2017, 08:04:08 PM by AMA IL TUO PRESIDENTE! »

Men are weird, dumb creatures. But we already knew that.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2017, 08:05:12 PM by Fremont Assemblyman RFayette »

Mean Humans are weird, dumb, sinful creatures. But we already knew that.

FTFY.  

Anyway, I think the loss of feeling the identity of breadwinner can force men to look to alternative avenues to find their identity, which could include a deepening of partisan ideology.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »

My only thought is that the title is misleading.  You mention something about men being more partisan in a given situation, and then only report about supporting abortion.

Still, it's interesting to think about how men might feel when their wives start to make the big bucks.  For most of our marriage, my wife made less money than I, but about three years ago my wife started to make about the same as I and it has been that way for about three years.  On the one hand I was delighted to see her income improve.  Money is a good thing, yes, I'll admit to being venal like that.  More money for my wife means more money for my family.  Always good.  On the other, it did occur to me that her making equal to me made her have more influence and authority, and it made me a little curious.

In the long run, however, or at least over the last three years, it has not changed our dynamic.  She still has the same sovereignty over provinces that she commanded before she got the big raise three years ago--e.g., anything concerning the diet, welfare, or health of the boy--and I still have the same sovereignty over provinces that I commanded before she got the big raise--where to live, whether and what car to buy, and the educational plan for the boy.  In the end, her going from the lower wage earner to equal wage earner did not significantly affect our roles regarding the nurture of the offspring. 

That's not exactly what you're talking about, I understand.  You're saying something about the wife making more money, not just making equal money, but I think my comments are relevant still since they describe a situation in which the wife has for a long while contributed less and then evolving into a situation in which she makes the same as the husband, which is sort of like a raise in power status.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, her making equal money as I did not affect either of us in terms of political ideology.  She was always more culturally conservative than I, and she was always more economically conservative than I as well.  That has not changed.  I'm a gambler; she's not.  She's not comfortable with change; I am.  It's just who we are.  This would probably be the case regardless of which of us is earning more. 

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »

My only thought is that the title is misleading.  You mention something about men being more partisan in a given situation, and then only report about supporting abortion.

You mean there are other political issues? But seriously, some people seem to think it's the only issue. These are probably the same people who said that Hillary was the most progressive ever.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies