Mulvaney offers Democrats $1 for Obamacare funds for every $1 for wall funds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:22:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mulvaney offers Democrats $1 for Obamacare funds for every $1 for wall funds
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mulvaney offers Democrats $1 for Obamacare funds for every $1 for wall funds  (Read 2176 times)
I Won - Get Over It
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 06:23:22 AM »

I like this idea, a wall and obamacare!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »

So it is up to the White House whether or how much to spend on CSR payments?  Congress has not appropriated a specific amount for this?

Congress hasn't, but they can choose to do so at anytime.

?

If Congress has not appropriated an amount, then either Trump can't offer to spend it, or else they have given the administration a blank check.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »

?

If Congress has not appropriated an amount, then either Trump can't offer to spend it, or else they have given the administration a blank check.

The Obama administration had argued that due to the way PPACA was written, they didn't need a separate appropriation for those funds, and continued to fund it as such. The House sued them, and the lawsuit hasn't fully concluded, and I believe Republicans either scuttled it or attempted to scuttle it because they didn't want the exchanges to implode due to their own lawsuit, on their watch, because they know they would get blamed for it. They wanted the exchanges to collapse under Obama's watch. The lawsuit actually succeeded but the ruling was suspended pending appeal.

So Trump is merely working with the same logic Obama was using, and Republicans are indifferent for obvious reasons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/us/politics/affordable-care-act-trump-subsidies.html
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »

Wasn't this guy supposed to be a fiscal conservative?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 04:32:13 PM »

?

The Obama administration had argued that due to the way PPACA was written, they didn't need a separate appropriation for those funds, and continued to fund it as such. The House sued them, and the lawsuit hasn't fully concluded, and I believe Republicans either scuttled it or attempted to scuttle it because they didn't want the exchanges to implode due to their own lawsuit, on their watch, because they know they would get blamed for it. They wanted the exchanges to collapse under Obama's watch. The lawsuit actually succeeded but the ruling was suspended pending appeal.

So Trump is merely working with the same logic Obama was using, and Republicans are indifferent for obvious reasons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/us/politics/affordable-care-act-trump-subsidies.html

Yeah, that seems pretty clearly illegal.  If Congress had any sense at all they would go ahead and just appropriate money for it while they figured out the other stuff.  Doesn't look like the Republicans attempted to scuttle the lawsuit against cost-sharing subsidies though - what happened was the elimination of them was part of the Ryan healthcare bill that got drowneded. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 04:35:20 PM »

In fairness, while Trump has been at best a buffoon and at worst a nativist on the issue, border security DOES need improved (along with a path to citizenship), and the infrastructure WOULD be a welcome shot of (gasp!) stimulus spending.

Negotiate some reasonable form of the DREAM act passing for the wall funded and not only would I support it, I think it MIGHT get passed (though the Hasert Rule would still likely kill it in the end).
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 12:37:14 PM »

if someone cares...the tuesday group is (ofc) still killing this thing.

RepCharlieDent, a Tuesday Group leader, not sold on MacArthur-Meadows AHCA tweak: “I was a no, and I remain a no.”
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/856921547046608896
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 12:52:28 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2017, 12:55:23 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

the infrastructure WOULD be a welcome shot of (gasp!) stimulus spending.

I'm surprised to hear you say that since it seems like an obvious case of resource misallocation that provides extremely limited benefits (instead coming with environmental costs perhaps - not to mention displacement of workers to temporary camps that will be completely abandoned at completion much like the horrifying picture of North Dakota during the oil boom). You have the base output without much in terms of overflow benefits. I'm sure this is from a position of beggars can't be choosers so some benefits are better than four years of misery, but I'm very happy to hear nonetheless Smiley Hopefully it is paired with other infrastructure spending that actually does stuff for the local economies with legitimate need though.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »

Up the stakes $1 of Obamacare funding for every $1 of secret service protection.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »

Abolish the IRS and offer the employees jobs on the border.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »

CNN: Ryan steps back on revised health care bill

mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »

CNN: Ryan steps back on revised health care bill

Good. Can we please start with tax reform (something that might actually help people) now? Knowing the GOP's incompetence tax reform probably will end up being a horrible failure though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies