Should it be legal to carry guns on planes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:26:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should it be legal to carry guns on planes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should it be legal to carry guns on planes?  (Read 2830 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 02, 2005, 10:17:29 PM »

Definitely not as carry-on baggage, but it should be legal to pack guns up as long as all the bullets are taken out and they are approved.
Cashcow

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 10:21:04 PM »

Uhh, you mean in the cargo hold? I think it already is legal. Or was. I know I've seen people walking out of the baggage claim with rifles before.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 10:37:56 PM »

Putting guns in checked baggage is legal. Carry-on is a big no-no. Tongue
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 10:40:24 PM »

A while back Transport Canada reminded people not to bring toy guns on board because they cause confusion and slow security checks down.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 12:56:57 AM »

hell yeah it should be.  If the passengers on the Sept. 11th flight had guns to shoot the terrorists with, we'd be saved 3000+ lives.  Of course this would be up to the airport's decisions, but it should be legal considering the lives of the passengers is at stake.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 04:31:38 AM »

hell yeah it should be.  If the passengers on the Sept. 11th flight had guns to shoot the terrorists with, we'd be saved 3000+ lives.  Of course this would be up to the airport's decisions, but it should be legal considering the lives of the passengers is at stake.

Wouldn't it be quite easy to make the plane crash by shooting through the walls or into the cabin or something?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 06:45:43 AM »

Wouldn't it be quite easy to make the plane crash by shooting through the walls or into the cabin or something?

I think they've actually done studies that prove that is bunk.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 07:04:38 AM »

Yes.  What happens is that there will be cabin pressure loss (as well as hearing of those near the hole due to the sonic wind speed), but it won't crash or break apart in the air.  A pilot can limit the cabin pressure loss by decending to a lower alttitude and slowing down, but the plane would still need to land as soon as it could in order ensure to limit the effects of exposure for those in the cabin. 

Now that is assuming the bullet his the nothing while travelling through the walls.  Since there is limited space on a plane, if the gunman were to fire up or down, they risk hitting electrical wires or fuel lines which would either cause the loss of control of the plane or start a fire in the void space.  If either of those two issues occur, then you can pretty much kiss the plane goodbye.

As far as if the passengers on the airplane had guns, yes, they could have stopped the terrorists . . . assuming the terrorists didn't bring their own guns aboard the plane.  However, I'm not sure if I would want a terrified passenger firing a gun within the cabin in the direction of the cockpit.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 08:48:20 AM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 08:50:21 AM »

Yes.  What happens is that there will be cabin pressure loss (as well as hearing of those near the hole due to the sonic wind speed), but it won't crash or break apart in the air.  A pilot can limit the cabin pressure loss by decending to a lower alttitude and slowing down, but the plane would still need to land as soon as it could in order ensure to limit the effects of exposure for those in the cabin. 

Now that is assuming the bullet his the nothing while travelling through the walls.  Since there is limited space on a plane, if the gunman were to fire up or down, they risk hitting electrical wires or fuel lines which would either cause the loss of control of the plane or start a fire in the void space.  If either of those two issues occur, then you can pretty much kiss the plane goodbye.

As far as if the passengers on the airplane had guns, yes, they could have stopped the terrorists . . . assuming the terrorists didn't bring their own guns aboard the plane.  However, I'm not sure if I would want a terrified passenger firing a gun within the cabin in the direction of the cockpit.

Good argument to only allow rubber bullets(since they don't pierce, but they do hurt like hell so you could knock a terrorist down with one and physically restrain the guy) if you are going to allow guns on planes.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 10:13:45 AM »

Good argument to only allow rubber bullets(since they don't pierce, but they do hurt like hell so you could knock a terrorist down with one and physically restrain the guy) if you are going to allow guns on planes.

Yeah, that seems a bit more sensible. Actually, I think the decision should probably be left upto the air crew. If they don't want it, you don't get to.
Cashcow

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 10:20:35 AM »

Hooray for in-flight gun battles!
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »

I love movie fiction, like the movie Goldfinger, where Goldfinger shoots a hole in the window, and it's a tiny window, but he gets pulled through and he's obviously not the most slender guy.  Yet James Bond is standing there and he doesn't fall through.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 02:38:06 PM »

It has to be ruthlessly controlled. Certainly, pilots and federal officers should have the right along with others who can acquire a license and submit to the standards. Dibble's suggestion of rubber bullets is a good standard.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 02:41:48 PM »

I was just about to jokingly post that the forum's NRA delegation would soon post that we should be allowed guns as carry-ons.  Looks like I got here too late.....
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 04:08:35 AM »

Pilots and Air Hostesses/Hosts should.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 06:55:12 PM »

Yes, obviously. But that doesn't mean it should be allowed.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 04:23:24 PM »

Couldn't we just allow non-lethal forms of defense on airplanes?  Things like pepper spray, stun guns, stun batons, baseball bats, etc. all seem like a better solution than gunfire.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 04:32:39 PM »

I like the stun gun idea.
Cashcow

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 04:40:06 PM »

Couldn't we just allow non-lethal forms of defense on airplanes?  Things like pepper spray, stun guns, stun batons, baseball bats, etc. all seem like a better solution than gunfire.

What if a bunch of terrorists all decided to book the same flight and carry those weapons?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies