Have you even been to a nuclear bunker?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:20:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you even been to a nuclear bunker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Have you even been to a nuclear bunker?  (Read 534 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:48:58 PM »

Yes. Along with friends we've explored an abandoned school in Łomianki (a suburb of Warsaw) which actually had one.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:55:29 PM »

Bomb shelters were a trendy expensive addition to suburban houses built in the 1950's-1960's. My uncle's house had one. Of course they weren't going to do that much good in an all out nuclear war, but neither would the "duck and cover" drills that I had to practice in grade school. Many of those shelters have been repurposed to uses ranging from tornado shelters to wine cellars.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »

Bomb shelters were a trendy expensive addition to suburban houses built in the 1950's-1960's. My uncle's house had one. Of course they weren't going to do that much good in an all out nuclear war, but neither would the "duck and cover" drills that I had to practice in grade school. Many of those shelters have been repurposed to uses ranging from tornado shelters to wine cellars.

I believe in many Swiss homes, where having such places is mandatory, people pretty much use these shelters for storage.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »

I believe in many Swiss homes, where having such places is mandatory, people pretty much use these shelters for storage.

Yeah, I've got one in my basement. It is pretty much a legal requirement to keep alcohol, tinned food and empty suitcases in your abri.

The bomb shelters used to be a legal requirement, but rules have been relaxed in recent years, so some new builds don't have them.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »

My prior school and my current schools have one.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:57:08 PM »

My elementary school had a fallout shelter, but the only reason I know that is because of the classic sign on the front of the building.

I'm not even sure where it was (presumably in "the basement", wherever that was) and AFAIK none of us ever actually saw it. It might have not even been usable by that point, for all I know.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 01:48:26 AM »

I may have been in a place that was originally designed as a nuclear bunker, but now serves some other purpose. No idea to be honest.

I have, however, been inside a decommissioned nuclear reactor, originally used to produce plutonium for Trinity and Fat Man.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 03:45:01 AM »

Yes. In Berlin. It was really interesting.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »

Yes I was in the Prague bunkers. Very cool.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »

The Scottish Office one in Fife. Built and hidden underneath a farmhouse minutes away from where I used to go my childhood holidays.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 09:55:25 PM »

Yeah, there was a fallout shelter in the basement of the main building of my middle school (which had been the high school when it had been designated one). Doubtful it could have held even the students in that building, let alone the entire school.  Not much point to having one where I lived.  Nothing nearby that would have been a target of a limited nuclear attack, but multiple targets that were nearby for a full scale attack.  Even if it had been a working shelter, there was no real chance that if it had been needed that the radiation count would have gone down quickly enough for us to be rescued.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »

Define "nuclear bunker".
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »

The Scottish Office one in Fife. Built and hidden underneath a farmhouse minutes away from where I used to go my childhood holidays.

Is that Scotland's Secret Bunker, possibly our most poorly named tourist attraction, given that you can not travel more than 5 miles on a motorway anywhere in scotland without being informed of how far away it is?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies