Kasich’s book release and book tour thread UPDATE: Kasich on The Daily Show
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:41:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kasich’s book release and book tour thread UPDATE: Kasich on The Daily Show
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kasich’s book release and book tour thread UPDATE: Kasich on The Daily Show  (Read 2230 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
« edited: April 26, 2017, 01:55:38 PM by Mr. Morden »

Kasich’s book comes on on Tuesday, and so he’s doing a book tour this week, which potentially doubles as testing the waters on 2020.  Post any comments you have on the book in this thread, including anything interesting that comes out of the book tour.

Here he is on Face the Nation this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25-ieoZnQi0

And his upcoming schedule:

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170420/john-kasichs-extensive-upcoming-travels-officially-book-tour-not-presidential-campaign

You must be logged in to read this quote.

etc.  They list other stops as well, but I don’t want to quote the whole article.

As for the book itself, some discussion of that here:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/ohio/10-things-john-kasichs-book-says-about-donald-trump-and-a-few-other-people/433506282

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »

Trump will spank Kasich in Ohio in 2020 in the same manner he spanked Rubio in Florida in 2016.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:47:45 PM »

Given his most recent quotes, Kasich might be as likely to run as an Independent as to run in the GOP primaries.
Rjjr77
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 01:13:30 AM »

John Quixote still tilting at windmills.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 01:16:34 AM »

The state legislature should cut his pay proportional to how long he's out of state.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:56:52 AM »

I've got to believe that this is about Kasich making money, paying off campaign debts, etc.  I can't believe he hopes to go somewhere, in terms of being elected President, and I know that a race against Sherrod Brown would be dicey, and not something that would be profitable.  Kasich knows media; he was a Foxie and host of "Heartland" for several years, so he knows how to make a buck in media.
Rjjr77
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »

I've got to believe that this is about Kasich making money, paying off campaign debts, etc.  I can't believe he hopes to go somewhere, in terms of being elected President, and I know that a race against Sherrod Brown would be dicey, and not something that would be profitable.  Kasich knows media; he was a Foxie and host of "Heartland" for several years, so he knows how to make a buck in media.

Stop trying to make Kasich for senate happen atlas, it's not going to happen.

Kasich will replace Chris Matthews as the host of Hardball in 2019.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »

Here's the full video of his interview on The Daily Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qw3Lhc_zt8
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:47 PM »

Time for Kasich to cash in on his presidential run, and I don't blame him one bit.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »

Kasich on the PBS Newshour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qldynp1hX8

And here's a Buzzfeed News story on whether Kasich might be "done" with the Republican Party:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/henrygomez/john-kasich-sounds-like-hes-over-the-republican-party?utm_term=.mpkrx1Rpl#.kkKv9LoN7
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »

His book should be arriving at my house today if it's not there already, looking forward to reading it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2017, 02:21:25 PM by Old School Republican »

I wish he ran third party in 2016, I believe he could have thrown the election to the house and then he would have won.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »

I wish he ran third part in 2016, I believe he could have thrown the election to the house and then he would have won.
lol
uti2

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »

I wish he ran third part in 2016, I believe he could have thrown the election to the house and then he would have won.

Actually, that's what Trump would've done had he lost the nomination.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/155415-trump-probably-run-as-independent-if-i-cant-win-gop-nod

Ironically, Kasich would've had problems with loser-laws, etc, whereas Trump could just use his son's name (Donald jr.) to get on the ballot in those states. Ideally, if you wanted to do that, you'd need someone fresh, but with a large name recognition, someone like Romney.

There's also the question of money, Trump had a Free Media advantage coupled with a shoestring budget, which is identical to what Perot did.

The problem for Romney is that most big donors either backed Trump when he became the nominee (i.e. Adelson) or they wanted to stay out of the presidential race altogether to focus on the downballot (Kochs).  Romney and his family are also deeply entrenched in the RNC establishment, they didn't want to upset the apple cart.

Ironically, for polling conducted on an independent Romney candidacy, it looked eerily similar to the 1912 election.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/05/26/even-now-republicans-still-clamoring-mitt-romney-run-president

Hillary would've won a similar percentage as Wilson, Trump TR, and Romney Taft. The electoral map math wouldn't work.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 02:23:12 PM »

lol

Kasich is elected in the house
uti2

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »

lol

The math doesn't work. It would've flipped AZ, FL, GA, NC, etc. to HRC. HRC would win by a Wilson 1912 level margin. Even TX might've flipped.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »

lol

If Kasich is doing so well that he's managing to win Ohio and Utah, then he's presumably doing well enough to peel off Republican votes in other states, such that he'd tip states like Florida and Arizona to Clinton, giving her an electoral college majority.  And why would Trump win NV and NH?  I don't actually imagine that Kasich would be drawing more votes from Clinton than he would from Trump.....Unless he really runs left in the campaign, in which case, why would the Republican House of Representatives elect him?

And even if there was an electoral college deadlock, no way is Kasich going to get a majority there if he's not the Republican nominee.  Best he could manage would be to create a deadlock in the House where no one has a majority.  Then the Senate elects Pence as VP, and we get Acting President Mike Pence.  Or, alternatively, maybe there's a movement among Republican electors to pick a compromise candidate, who is neither Trump nor Kasich.  But no way is Kasich going to get an outright majority of either presidential electors or Republicans in the House, after just having left the party to run as an Indy.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »

lol

If Kasich is doing so well that he's managing to win Ohio and Utah, then he's presumably doing well enough to peel off Republican votes in other states, such that he'd tip states like Florida and Arizona to Clinton, giving her an electoral college majority.  And why would Trump win NV and NH?  I don't actually imagine that Kasich would be drawing more votes from Clinton than he would from Trump.....Unless he really runs left in the campaign, in which case, why would the Republican House of Representatives elect him?

And even if there was an electoral college deadlock, no way is Kasich going to get a majority there if he's not the Republican nominee.  Best he could manage would be to create a deadlock in the House where no one has a majority.  Then the Senate elects Pence as VP, and we get Acting President Mike Pence.  Or, alternatively, maybe there's a movement among Republican electors to pick a compromise candidate, who is neither Trump nor Kasich.  But no way is Kasich going to get an outright majority of either presidential electors or Republicans in the House, after just having left the party to run as an Indy.

The strategy is to run in just a few states enough to dead lock the electoral college.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »

The strategy is to run in just a few states enough to dead lock the electoral college.
Wake up.
uti2

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 02:48:14 PM »

lol

Neither Kasich nor Romney would've had a political justification to run an indy candidacy in such a faction, it just would've been seen as an anti-Trump establishment candidacy. Trump's claim to an indy run would've been the 'rigged' GOP working against him during the primary, i.e. stacking the primary debate crowds with establishment republicans, playing games with delegates, etc. That was Trump's argument. Remember, Trump said he would like to be treated 'fairly'. He was already causing the process unfair and accused reince of being a disgrace:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/276054-trump-slams-rnc-chairman-calls-2016-process-a-disgrace

And he suggested that the pledge was in default back in February.  For an establishment GOP candidate to suggest that they decided to run independent because the process was actually rigged in Trump's favor would be absurd.

Kasich wouldn't be able to track left in a GE, no chance, the Clinton Machine would've gone all out in him, he would've been made out to look like a center-right candidate.

Wouldn't work, the only reason why the center-left would vote for a center-right candidate over a far-right candidate would be if they were the top 2 options. Clinton and Trump would be the top 2 options, and Clinton had too much name recognition to every get dragged down to 3rd place in such a race, even in OH. This means, Kasich would've just taken votes from Trump, allowing Clinton to win a plurality.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »

lol If Kasich challenged Trump in 2020, I'd campaign for Trump at this point.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »

If Kasich were to run in the Republican primary in 2020, I'd vote for him against Trump without question. He might be enough to get me back in the Republican ranks. (Might be, though I'll never fully trust any of the party leaders again after they bowed to someone so exactly opposite of what the party claimed to be).

If he were to run as an independent in the general, I might vote for him depending on who the Democrat is and on what the polls look like.
Rjjr77
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 09:58:52 AM »

Sore loser law applies in Ohio, Kasich couldn't run as an independent there.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »

Sore loser law applies in Ohio, Kasich couldn't run as an independent there.

He's extremely popular there, I think you're wrong.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 10:05:13 AM »

If Kasich were to run in the Republican primary in 2020, I'd vote for him against Trump without question. He might be enough to get me back in the Republican ranks. (Might be, though I'll never fully trust any of the party leaders again after they bowed to someone so exactly opposite of what the party claimed to be).

If he were to run as an independent in the general, I might vote for him depending on who the Democrat is and on what the polls look like.

He has a history of working with the other side no matter what office he was in. Called a traitor back in the 80s for fighting the military on spending on an ungodly amount of bombers.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies