In break from DNC, Pelosi says you "of course" can be pro-life and a Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:42:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  In break from DNC, Pelosi says you "of course" can be pro-life and a Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: In break from DNC, Pelosi says you "of course" can be pro-life and a Democrat  (Read 1468 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »

Good for Pelosi.

I think the reason they don't say "safe, legal, and rare" anymore is because bizarrely, that has taken on a connotation of wanting to legislate the rareness. So they say that they want it to be safe, legal, and rare without actually using those words.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 07:33:21 AM »

Good. The issue is too polarizing to force people into a box on this. Let the voters decide.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 07:55:02 AM »

Making a statement of fact that favored policies would reduce abortions implies that the reduction of abortions would be good-- otherwise, why state the fact? If the reduction of abortions was bad, wouldn't the fact that said policies would reduce them, reflect poorly on those policies?

I'm a pro-choice Democrat and I want abortions to be rare. I am not pro-abortion; I am anti-abortion. But my reasons for wanting it to be rare--that most aborted fetuses would otherwise be future Democratic voters (disproportionately poor, minority ethnicities, and grow up in secular households), are probably best not stated as a part of a platform. It implies a willingness to use people's lives as a political tool, and I can see how some people would find that distasteful. But it doesn't change the fact that I'd like to see fewer abortions.

Poor, minority households are overwhelmingly religious by statistics, not secular. As for Pelosi's comment, good outreach to pro-life Dems although they are fewer in number than in decades past. This was a grab for independent voters.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »

You say that now, but if a pro-life Democratic Senator voted against a Democratic President's SC pick, you'd be screaming bloody murder.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »

You say that now, but if a pro-life Democratic Senator voted against a Democratic President's SC pick, you'd be screaming bloody murder.

I think Pelosi's statement is about individual voters, not members of the Democratic Senate caucus.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »

I'm personally pro-life, but I recognize that it's a complex issue and one that, as a male, my opinion on it is not as valid as someone of the opposite sex. Also without legal abortions, the procedure would still be performed, only in extremely unsafe conditions. So it must remain legal.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »

Meanwhile, The Blaze is still holding Tomi Lahren's Facebook account. Which party is more tolerant on abortion rights again?
The Blaze is not a political party...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 12:18:45 PM »

Well duh. Did you expect her to say "of course I don't want anti-abortion Americans to vote Democrat!! Not in any circumstance!!!1"

Damar, the other day, Perez said something along the lines of "Every Democrat should be in favor of a woman's right to choose. This is nonnegotiable." The fact that Pelosi's not echoing that line is notable.

I'm pretty certain that you're pulling something out of context here.

Most likely Pérez was referring to prominent Democratic office holders, while Pelosi is talking about voters. Obviously perez is happy to have votes from anti-abortion rights people.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2017, 12:26:13 PM »

The DNC doesn't want to make abortion rare anymore. Compare the difference in platforms:

2004: Because we believe in the privacy and equality of women, we stand proudly for a woman’s right to choose, consistent with Roe v. Wade, and regardless of her ability to pay. We stand firmly against Republican efforts to undermine that right. At the same time, we strongly support family planning and adoption incentives. Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.

Wow! Democrats were a sane party for just 13 years ago. How come?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »

Well duh. Did you expect her to say "of course I don't want anti-abortion Americans to vote Democrat!! Not in any circumstance!!!1"

Damar, the other day, Perez said something along the lines of "Every Democrat should be in favor of a woman's right to choose. This is nonnegotiable." The fact that Pelosi's not echoing that line is notable.

Most likely Pérez was referring to prominent Democratic office holders, while Pelosi is talking about voters. Obviously perez is happy to have votes from anti-abortion rights people.

I don't think Pelosi is just talking about voters, as she highlighted Pro-life democrats she worked with in past congresses.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »

Found the exact quote:

“Every Democrat, like every American, should support a woman’s right to make her own choices about her body and her health,” Perez said in a statement on Friday. “That is not negotiable and should not change city by city or state by state.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/23/dick-durbin-tom-perez-to-28-percent-of-dems-who-oppose-abortion-get-in-line-or-get-out/#ixzz4fBx9hF8e
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 02:41:08 PM »

1. I'm on the edge of pro choice/life
2. I don't care as much about the Supreme Court as others, besides historically it's been very unpredictable even when people think they know how someone will vote
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:49 PM »

Perez is unhinged.  God Bless that man.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »

I'm personally pro-life, but I recognize that it's a complex issue and one that, as a male, my opinion on it is not as valid as someone of the opposite sex. Also without legal abortions, the procedure would still be performed, only in extremely unsafe conditions. So it must remain legal.

If you are personally pro-life then I assume you view abortion as ending a human life?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »

If you are personally pro-life then I assume you view abortion as ending a human life?

One can have a moral objection to something but simultaneously not feel they have the right to force others to follow it.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 07:14:58 PM »

Very dumb statement by Perez

If you celebrate diversity, you can't exclude ideology.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies