French Presidential Election 2017, Run-Off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:54:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  French Presidential Election 2017, Run-Off
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: How would you vote?
Emmanuel Macron (En Marche!)

Marine Le Pen (National Front)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 125

Author Topic: French Presidential Election 2017, Run-Off  (Read 8655 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »

It absolutely does, and my vote for her would be a reluctant one (as opposed to my PVV vote irl), but she's the lesser evil. At this point preventing any more immigration should be priority number one. Everything else is much less important. Sometimes you have to make painful choices.
A Clinton/PVV/Le Pen voter is an interesting voter.
When Donald Trump is just a step too far...
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »

Macron, easily, considering I also supported him in the first round.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »

This is a useful thread for identifying the vile morons who sagely declare that fascism is preferable to a guy who worked for a bank or whatever.

Let's not pretend like the future of France under FBM is going to be some shining beacon for Europe or something. It's going to be a disaster, and you can count on Panzergirl to be there to reap the benefits in 2022. There is no surest way to encourage the rise of fascism than keeping on with nice technocratic centrist Smiley Smiley Smiley policies.

Seems like the surest way to encourage the rise of fascism would be to elect a fascist as President of France actually
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2017, 02:35:41 PM »

This is a useful thread for identifying the vile morons who sagely declare that fascism is preferable to a guy who worked for a bank or whatever.

Let's not pretend like the future of France under FBM is going to be some shining beacon for Europe or something. It's going to be a disaster, and you can count on Panzergirl to be there to reap the benefits in 2022. There is no surest way to encourage the rise of fascism than keeping on with nice technocratic centrist Smiley Smiley Smiley policies.

Seems like the surest way to encourage the rise of fascism would be to elect a fascist as President of France actually

And if she's a disaster and can't fully turn the media in her favor in any sort of way [given the response to her "stepping down" as FN Leader, it doesn't seem she could pull it off], that's more ammo to discrediting her movement.

Same way Hillary's loss was an absolute gift to downballot Democrats who would've been flooded out for sure in 2018.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 03:55:33 PM »

Macron, of course (normal liberal, not a fascist, etc.)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »

And if she's a disaster and can't fully turn the media in her favor in any sort of way [given the response to her "stepping down" as FN Leader, it doesn't seem she could pull it off], that's more ammo to discrediting her movement.

Same way Hillary's loss was an absolute gift to downballot Democrats who would've been flooded out for sure in 2018.

Predictably, the dumbest take.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »

There's every chance the FN tears itself apart in the next 5 years tbh. The Philippot and Maréchal-Le Pen wings don't exactly get on well.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2017, 04:27:56 PM »

Not the Fascist c-nt.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2017, 05:46:15 PM »

I would vote for Le Pen but wouldn't consider it the end of the world if Macron won (only based on lowering taxes and moderate social positions. everything else not that comfortable with him but I would take him over Hamon and Melenchon any day)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »

I am absolutely astonished at the idiocy of some here. Calling Le Pen a fascist is just as insane as conservatives calling every liberal they disagree with a communist. It is an absolutely false statement.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2017, 07:30:19 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2017, 07:32:04 PM by Macron Still Sucks »

calling Le Pen "principled" is pretty idiotic, considering she's literally evicted her father from the party and then left the party all in the name of winning an election.

It's genuinely shocking to see someone who saw what happened in the United States, opposes what happened, and then think "wow okay we only need someone who can deliver this ideology more competently and honestly!"
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2017, 08:05:29 PM »

calling Le Pen "principled" is pretty idiotic, considering she's literally evicted her father from the party and then left the party all in the name of winning an election.

It's genuinely shocking to see someone who saw what happened in the United States, opposes what happened, and then think "wow okay we only need someone who can deliver this ideology more competently and honestly!"
She didn't leave the party.  She just resigned as leader.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2017, 08:28:10 PM »

She didn't leave the party.  She just resigned as leader.

she is attempting the same symbolic gesture - trying to cleanse herself of the negative influence of her father, of her party.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2017, 08:36:27 PM »

The one who isn't a xenophobic demon.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »

#NeverLePen
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2017, 11:32:58 PM »

I mean, do I vote for the embodiment of my beliefs or for the embodiment of everything I hate?

Tough call man, tough call...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2017, 12:56:14 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2017, 12:58:15 AM by En Marche Forcée »

Well, a President Le Pen elected in 2017 would have no way to a parliamentary majority, which would limit her ability to do damage and consolidate power. A President Le Pen elected in 2022 or 2027 might very well get it - which means it's over for good.

Of course this doesn't justify voting Le Pen - I certainly won't - but it's something to consider.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2017, 01:17:13 AM »

Well, a President Le Pen elected in 2017 would have no way to a parliamentary majority, which would limit her ability to do damage and consolidate power. A President Le Pen elected in 2022 or 2027 might very well get it - which means it's over for good.

Of course this doesn't justify voting Le Pen - I certainly won't - but it's something to consider.
*Le Pen wins*
"Trust me, it won't be that bad! She won't get a majority in the National Assembly!"

*FN makes major gains; LR's right faction coalesces around Le Pen*
"Trust me, it won't be that bad, it's a fragile coalition!"

*Le Pen sets date for EU Referendum*
"Trust me, France would never vote to leave the EU."

*Frances votes to exit the EU*
"Oh, well, the EU was pro-austerity anyway..."

*Deportations begin in force; more riots and closed borders*
"More jobs for the working class?"
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 01:26:32 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2017, 01:28:37 AM by En Marche Forcée »

*Le Pen wins*
"Trust me, it won't be that bad! She won't get a majority in the National Assembly!"

*FN makes major gains; LR's right faction coalesces around Le Pen*
"Trust me, it won't be that bad, it's a fragile coalition!"

*Le Pen sets date for EU Referendum*
"Trust me, France would never vote to leave the EU."

*Frances votes to exit the EU*
"Oh, well, the EU was pro-austerity anyway..."

*Deportations begin in force; more riots and closed borders*
"More jobs for the working class?"

Are you utterly incapable of reading, or just disingenuous? Do I sound reassuring to you?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2017, 05:22:34 AM »

Yeah, this is a very unfavorable situation. Electing Macron now might very well be nothing but postponing Le Pen's victory and making it bigger when it comes...

But, I just wouldn't want to risk "let's have this already, so it'll be over sooner". It almost always ends badly.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2017, 05:31:08 AM »

Trying hard to prevent the inevitable again and again and again and again and again? Welcome to Austria.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »

Macron, not the Putinist, xenophobic, bigoted LePen, who should be packed off to Saudi Arabia instead of blighting a French election. I look forward to the day when the Alt-Right is exiled from political discourse and banished on par with the Nazis and the resumption of a true conservative opposition to leftist Europe.

Every last alt-right leader in Europe needs to be hounded out and handed stinging defeat after defeat. Possibly prosecuted for collusion with Moscow if we can catch them dead to rights.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »

What is wrong with the French Right, that their runoff candidate is an outright bigot? We went from Sarkozy to LePen, and apparently, the French Right is unable to resist the siren call of insane populism.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »

What is wrong with the French Right, that their runoff candidate is an outright bigot? We went from Sarkozy to LePen, and apparently, the French Right is unable to resist the siren call of insane populism.
Sarkozy 2.0 was arguably tougher on Islam than Le Pen.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »

Sarkozy 2.0 was arguably tougher on Islam than Le Pen.

Don't have a problem with that. I certainly have a problem with radical Islam. I just don't like Marine LePen's views on Jews and the like. Sarkozy, if memory serves, wasn't as vicious. (And I supported him twice in 2007 and 2012)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies