French Presidential Election 2017, Run-Off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:50:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  French Presidential Election 2017, Run-Off
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: How would you vote?
Emmanuel Macron (En Marche!)

Marine Le Pen (National Front)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 125

Author Topic: French Presidential Election 2017, Run-Off  (Read 8671 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »

This is a useful thread for identifying the vile morons who sagely declare that fascism is preferable to a guy who worked for a bank or whatever.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »

Macron, obviously.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »

See my display name Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »

And Le Pen probably won't even break 35% in the runoff.

She almost certainly will.

Where should the other 14% come from ?

Even in the 2015 regionals the FN did worse in the 2nd round than the 1st (28% vs. 27%).

And if all major candidates and parties line up behind Macron, it will be very hard for her to pass 35%.

NDA voters will mostly back Le Pen. So will a big chunk of Fillon ones (and most Asselineau and Cheminade supporters to, for the mighty 1% that will bring in). Add in a number Mélenchon supporters who abstain in the second round and you easily have Le Pen hitting 40%

Nah. I think most of the voters from Fillon, Melenchon and NDA who are flirting with Le Pen now will think twice on election day and opt for Macron in the booth.

35% seems the max. result for her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2017, 12:52:40 PM »

I'd be curious to see Le Pen vs. Macron preferences here cross-referenced against who people supported in the 2016 US presidential primaries: Clinton, Sanders, Trump, non-Trump Republican, or 3rd party/wouldn't vote.  But I'm too lazy to make that poll myself.  Tongue
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2017, 04:32:51 PM »

Flawless Beautiful Macron Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart, then I'd vomit for a few hours.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2017, 04:41:51 PM »

Cersei Lannister
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2017, 04:59:40 PM »

This is a useful thread for identifying the vile morons who sagely declare that fascism is preferable to a guy who worked for a bank or whatever.

Let's not pretend like the future of France under FBM is going to be some shining beacon for Europe or something. It's going to be a disaster, and you can count on Panzergirl to be there to reap the benefits in 2022. There is no surest way to encourage the rise of fascism than keeping on with nice technocratic centrist Smiley Smiley Smiley policies.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »

Why not Hillary?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »

I'm to your right on the European Union and immigration, so I have less qualms about Le Pen. In addition, she is less likely to gut the welfare state than Macron and is certainly better on trade issues.

Surely you didn't apply this rationale to justify voting for Trump though, right?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »

Let's not pretend like the future of France under FBM is going to be some shining beacon for Europe or something. It's going to be a disaster, and you can count on Panzergirl to be there to reap the benefits in 2022. There is no surest way to encourage the rise of fascism than keeping on with nice technocratic centrist Smiley Smiley Smiley policies.

The fact Macron is the best candidate against Panzergirl shows certain people still doesn't the a memo.

Of course, he was incredibly lucky given PS total collapse and Fillon's corruption scandal. I hope he's not stupid enough to just sit back and relax now. If he f**ks up this election, he ought to be guillotined.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2017, 05:47:29 PM »

Let's be honest, certain things that 'respectable mainstream' in France has done over the years on racial/immigration matters would make the Le Pens and Trumps of this world smile. But it gets away with it because it's the 'respectable mainstream'.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2017, 05:52:02 PM »

The fact Macron is the best candidate against Panzergirl shows certain people still doesn't the a memo.

Of course, he was incredibly lucky given PS total collapse and Fillon's corruption scandal. I hope he's not stupid enough to just sit back and relax now. If he f**ks up this election, he ought to be guillotined.

I'll give him that, so far he's been a far better candidate than I ever expected him to be. Certainly better than Hillary.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2017, 06:06:20 PM »

i theoretically get you but.....wasn't renzi also kind of trying to break up frozen structures, which could have been good for the whole country?

i think macron is absolutely going to try achieving something similar if he gets a parliamentary majority.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »

i theoretically get you but.....wasn't renzi also kind of trying to break up frozen structures, which could have been good for the whole country?

i think macron is absolutely going to try achieving something similar if he gets a parliamentary majority.

Italy has specific problems above and beyond those of France and other similar European countries. Renzi tended to be very good on Italy-specific problems, even as he was fairly terrible on problems that Italy shares with other European countries.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2017, 06:17:15 PM »

Because I already voted for her for the mayoral elections so she would be busy being elected to too many offices.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »

Thread shows how Trump won and how Le Pen (probably will get stomped but has a chance). The left throws a tantrum if it doesn't get what it wants and stays home.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »

Thread shows how Trump won and how Le Pen (probably will get stomped but has a chance). The left throws a tantrum if it doesn't get what it wants and stays home.

Blaming "the left" (by which you mean a small part of it - Blair, the Clintons, Macron are all part of "the left" too) is like blaming Gore's lack of focus on winning Tennessee for his defeat; the problem with doing that is that someone else will blame Bill Clinton's behaviour, or Nader's candidacy, or the television networks' premature projections.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »

I'm to your right on the European Union and immigration, so I have less qualms about Le Pen. In addition, she is less likely to gut the welfare state than Macron and is certainly better on trade issues.

Surely you didn't apply this rationale to justify voting for Trump though, right?

Trump was an obvious con-man based on his record, and was less consistent on any issue. False equivalence much?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »

I really need to educate myself more on this election. Ignore everything I've said y'all.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2017, 08:04:36 PM »

I really need to educate myself more on this election. Ignore everything I've said y'all.

Don't support, a candidate who denies french involvement in the holocaust and other acts committed by the vichy regime, and who hurls xenophobia against immigrants, particularly those of muslim faith  would be my advice.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2017, 08:10:09 PM »

It absolutely does, and my vote for her would be a reluctant one (as opposed to my PVV vote irl), but she's the lesser evil. At this point preventing any more immigration should be priority number one. Everything else is much less important. Sometimes you have to make painful choices.
A Clinton/PVV/Le Pen voter is an interesting voter.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2017, 08:30:07 PM »

Trump was an obvious con-man based on his record, and was less consistent on any issue. False equivalence much?

I think you proved my implicit point. Trump held generic right-wing positions on most all issues with even further extreme rhetoric on certain issues. Let's remember he ran on cutting taxes on corporations and for the rich, moving schools towards vouchers and charters, and in the past advocated for privatizing Social Security and spoke negatively of food stamps.

If it was so well-known that Trump was/is a con-artist, wouldn't SG have realized that someone with such views wouldn't have any real interest in preserving the welfare state? From what I can gather, security and cultural issues are more important to him, and so he voted for Trump accordingly. He's free to refute my assertion though.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »

I think you proved my implicit point. Trump held generic right-wing positions on most all issues with even further extreme rhetoric on certain issues. Let's remember he ran on cutting taxes on corporations and for the rich, moving schools towards vouchers and charters, and in the past advocated for privatizing Social Security and spoke negatively of food stamps.

If it was so well-known that Trump was/is a con-artist, wouldn't SG have realized that someone with such views wouldn't have any real interest in preserving the welfare state? From what I can gather, security and cultural issues are more important to him, and so he voted for Trump accordingly. He's free to refute my assertion though.
I'll freely admit that I was caught Up in the boneheaded populist fervor when I cast my ballot. I was generally disatisified with the political establishment and saw that my community was slowly dying as the government simply looked on. I never 100% trusted Trump but he did pay some lip service to rural and small town America.

I regret my vote and have discussed it in detail with some other posters. On election I let emotional and lifelong resentment of the urban elite overtake my sense of reason and I continue to regret allowing myself slip like that.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »

Macron is obviously too centrist for me, but he'd be better any day over Le Pen.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies