Clyde/Siren for President/VP • GET OUT AND VOTE!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:38:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Clyde/Siren for President/VP • GET OUT AND VOTE!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Clyde/Siren for President/VP • GET OUT AND VOTE!  (Read 5796 times)
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »

Drugs, such as cocaine, are illegal for a reason. They're dangerous and should have no place on our streets. People may say that they should have the choice to decide what goes in their body, but the first responsibility of the government is the safety of their citizens and I feel that the President is neglecting his duty in this area if he believes this is a good idea.

By keeping drugs illegal you make them more dangerous and achieve precisely the opposite of your intention.
100% true
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 11:17:47 PM »

Two great mavericks unaligned with the Griffin, Blair, and Truman wings of the party. While I would endorse Goldwater over either of you two, I am quite confident in your abilities and your integrity. I officially endorse Clyde/Siren.

- Former Vice President Kingpoleon
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 11:39:55 PM »

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 07:42:17 AM »

It's always been a tradition of mine (largely because of my long tenure as Chair) to hold off on endorsements until any potential primary has concluded, but you'll definitely have my full endorsement and support in the General!
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »

Obviously endorsed. As someone who has worked with Clyde before back when he was instrumental in forming a budget for Lincoln, I can say that he will know what he is doing as president. I was impressed by his competency then and I am confident that his abilities will continue to impress us if he is elected.
Two great mavericks unaligned with the Griffin, Blair, and Truman wings of the party. While I would endorse Goldwater over either of you two, I am quite confident in your abilities and your integrity. I officially endorse Clyde/Siren.

- Former Vice President Kingpoleon
It's always been a tradition of mine (largely because of my long tenure as Chair) to hold off on endorsements until any potential primary has concluded, but you'll definitely have my full endorsement and support in the General!
I thank you each for your endorsements. Smiley
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »

endorsed!
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 09:56:24 AM »

Thank you! Cheesy
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »

This ticket is endorsed.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »

Strong regions for a strong Atlasia
A strong Atlasia needs strong regions. I’ve always been a firm believer of devolutions to the regions – a process that would transfer exclusive control of matters such as education, policing and the minimum wage to the regional legislatures.  I believe that this will make Atlasia more exciting; with people being more interested in running for regional office as it would be their only way to affect legislation on these matters. The current system keeps Congress supreme, drawing the experienced politicians to federal office. In my upcoming term as a Representative, I am set to propose a bill that will create a commission on regional powers and if I’m elected in June, I will ensure that the recommendations of the commission are implemented.

But how can we ensure that federal legislators are focused on ensuring what they are doing works for the regions? If I’m elected as President, I will create the Department of Regional Affairs that will be headed by the Secretary for the Regions. I believe that the Secretary should be a member of Congress, preferably a Senator – due to them being directly elected by the regions. The Secretary would become a full member of the cabinet, enabling the regions to always have a voice in the executive. On top of this, I will hold monthly meetings with the leaders of the regions to give them an opportunity to discuss regional matters with me and to see how the executive can assist in regional activity.

The regions are a heavily important part of the game. A large amount of people found their way through the early stages of their career in Atlasian politics by being elected to their regional legislature. They’re a vital ground to allow for people to learn about Atlasian politics and how to legislate on matters. With more powerful regions and more experienced people moving into regional office, the newer Atlasians will have great mentors in their regional legislatures. This is while allowing for more interesting, competitive elections at regional level as more people become interested in running.

Without the regions, Atlasian politics wouldn't be the same. As I've just mentioned, they're brilliant for assisting the development of our rookie legislators. But we need to make people more interested in what happens in the regions. I believe that these proposals will help ensure that this can be the case.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »

Is there anything the federal government can do to help fix the South's massive crisis?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 03:29:30 PM »

Is there anything the federal government can do to help fix the South's massive crisis?
I think that it needs to be easier for the Federal Government to intervene when a region has a crisis.

The current issue in the South appears to be a legislator attempting to get rid of the speaker, because she didn't allow an extension to the debating period on a bill when there had already been three votes against it and there hadn't been any debate for eight days.

It's clear that the legislator in question is only attempting to prevent the Chamber of Delegates from doing its business. I don't believe that a motion of no confidence in the speaker will pass, and nor should it. She was correct in calling a final vote, due to the length of time the debate had been inactive.

The South does need clear rules on how the legislature works. In a situation such as we have now, I feel that the Federal Government should have the power to step in to either mediate in situations where negotiation would resolve the issues, take over the speakership of the legislature on an interim basis to restore order or, in the absolute worse case, suspend the legislature, with the support of Congress, until such a time that the legislature can go about its business without grinding itself down.

I, obviously, don't want to get to the stage where the Federal Government is having to take over the speakership or suspend a regional legislature, but there are times when decisive action has to be taken.

Right now, the South should focus on ensuring that there are clear rules for the process of bills moving through the legislature, that the rules are being followed and that there is a clear process on how to recall a legislator. This is something that the Federal Government could, and maybe should, be involved in to ensure that what is put in place works and is fair.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »

ENDORSED.

Let's take this house back!
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »

ENDORSED.

Let's take this house back!
Thanks. Cheesy
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »

You run a clean campaign and you make many promises.  Many of them are good public policy.  One object that concerns me is this:

In my next term as a Representative, I'm going to sponsor a couple of bills that will seek to create commissions on finding the best system of government for Atlasia and on regional powers. If elected President, I will seek to implement to findings of the commissions.

We have so many commissions and committees already.  Many of them turn into beauty contests.  How can you so glibly guarantee that you'll implement their recommendations?  What if a commission recommends that you allow South Carolina to secede?  Will you do it?  What if a commission recommends that you require all muslims to register as muslims in a database for the purpose of national security?  Will you do it?

Delegation of authority is fine, but be careful about promising to implement the findings of committees whose findings may find you at odds with your conscience.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »

You run a clean campaign and you make many promises.  Many of them are good public policy.  One object that concerns me is this:

In my next term as a Representative, I'm going to sponsor a couple of bills that will seek to create commissions on finding the best system of government for Atlasia and on regional powers. If elected President, I will seek to implement to findings of the commissions.

We have so many commissions and committees already.  Many of them turn into beauty contests.  How can you so glibly guarantee that you'll implement their recommendations?  What if a commission recommends that you allow South Carolina to secede?  Will you do it?  What if a commission recommends that you require all muslims to register as muslims in a database for the purpose of national security?  Will you do it?

Delegation of authority is fine, but be careful about promising to implement the findings of committees whose findings may find you at odds with your conscience.

I understand the concerns that you raise. The proposed commissions have a membership process that should lead to it being a cross-party effort, which should reduce the chances of things being proposed such as you've mentioned. My proposal for the commissions includes members of the executive, the regional leaders, congressional seat holders and people nominated by Congress.

The likely result of the commission is that the work will have to be implemented as legislation and/or as a constitutional amendment allowing Congress and voters the opportunity to oppose any frivolous suggestions from the commission. I believe that with a cross-party effort, Congress and voters will be happy to endorse the proposals.

Although, as you say, there may be things that I'm at odds with, but if the voters want something done I shouldn't stand in the way of democracy. I do find it unlikely that there will be something proposed that I have a moral opposition to, however.

On the specific points that you raise, there's currently a process in the constitution that states that there needs to be a 75% vote in favour of an entity leaving the union for secession to occur. I believe that the process specifically notes that it has to be a regional vote, as well, and I find it unlikely that there will ever be a vote that large to leave the union.

Additionally, I believe that a Muslim database for the purpose of national security would be unconstitutional as it would discriminate against a specific section of the population. I'd, obviously, oppose any proposal to do that, not only from the grounds of the constitution, but for moral reasons. I believe that there is no demand for that either.

I thank you for your questions and if you have any more, feel free to ask.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »

Fairer business taxes for a fairer Atlasia
A key plank of my platform is to ensure that small businesses have the ability to compete against their more established competition. If elected as President, I will propose a small business scheme that gives commercial property tax relief to small businesses that are in properties with a combined rentable value of less than $35,000 annually.

My proposed structure is that relief shall be given in the following way:
  • Upto $11,000 property value - 100% tax relief
  • Between $11,001 and $14,000 - 50% tax relief
  • Between $14,001 and $18,000 - 25% tax relief

Those who have multiple properties shall receive the relief for each individual property within each band, provided that their overall rentable cost for the properties doesn't exceed $35,000 per year. I estimate that this will save businesses up to $11bn annually, providing extra resources to expand their company and employ more people.

On top of this, I will look into changing how corporation tax works. I'd be interested in seeing projections into how revenue would be affected by introducing a tax on revenue over $100m per year. I feel that this will help ensure that multi-national companies are paying their fair share of tax in Atlasia, instead of reducing their taxes by moving profits overseas. Between 2010 and 2012, Pfizer paid no corporation tax in Atlasia, despite having over $43bn worth of revenue in the same period. I believe that an introduction of a revenue based tax would increase our tax base, allowing us to spend more on public services and on reducing the deficit, while having minimal impact on the operations of the companies. I, also, feel that this idea would more than fund the relief given to small businesses.

I feel that these two policies can help generate a fairer corporate tax structure in Atlasia, while helping small businesses grow.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2017, 02:49:04 PM »

I will not be running for President, and instead backing Clyde/Siren, a ticket of two great Leftists.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2017, 03:50:46 PM »

I will not be running for President, and instead backing Clyde/Siren, a ticket of two great Leftists.
Thank you. Grin
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »

A powerful GM department for a powerful Atlasia
If elected as President, I would like to see the Game Moderation department handle more statistical figures to enable greater consequences for office holders in Atlasia. When I was Game Moderator, I trialled statistics of things such as commodity prices, exchange rates and GDP figures. While my time as GM didn't last long, I believe that these are statistics that will enable more realistic governance if they are brought into the game for a long term spell. With the existence of the Deputy Game Moderator, I believe that this is achievable.

Commodity price fluctuations will give Congress problems to solve. An example of this could be a fall in oil prices, that will lead to redundancies in the oil industry - leading to unemployment from a specific sector. Additionally, Congress could pass legislation to reduce the impact of the oil price reduction, through subsides for the oil industry or tax reductions. A change in gold prices will affect the value of our gold reserves and could affect budgets passed by Congress.

Changes in exchange rates could affect trade between other countries and international tourism. The Dollar strengthening against other currencies could suggest that our economy is doing better against other economies, while weakening could suggest the reverse.

Finally, GDP figures will show us how much our economy is growing and will give us the first indication of whether a recession is approaching. Additionally, it will allow us to see regional data - allowing for regional competition in growth.

On top of these statistical figures, I would like to make it easier for stories to be created in Atlasia. At the moment, I feel that we're dependent on the Game Moderator to create stories and I feel that this dependency has to end. I would like to pass legislation to clarify that any story created by a citizen is treated as official, unless the Game Moderator rejects it. I believe that this will allow for more stories to be created and allow greater room for independent media sources to run stories outwith the Game Moderation department.

Most governance in the real world is reactive, rather than proactive. I believe that these policies will make Atlasia more realistic.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »

This is so needed! I would love this! Great proposal, as usual Clyde.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2017, 10:13:49 PM »

This is so needed! I would love this! Great proposal, as usual Clyde.
This a thousand times - this is a simple, reasonable way to add a layer of realism that the game is currently lacking. It'd give the cabinet something to do, too.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2017, 12:07:02 AM »

I do think the idea of presumed occurrence of events by news agents is an excellent idea and would place the onus on the GM of the day to be active in ensuring that news does not become wildly out of control.

Another excellent proposal from this stellar Labor campaign!
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2017, 05:59:05 AM »

Clyde speaks to voters at the Moda Center in Portland, Oregon

Clyde and Siren have been touring the country to talk to voters. This week, the pair have been in Fremont: Clyde has been on the east coast, visiting California, Oregon and Washington, while Siren has been in the Dakotas and Nebraska. They have mainly been focusing on domestic issues - particularly campaigning hard on fairness within Atlasia - in between their visits to Congress.

Clyde and Siren will continue to travel around the country to meet voters ahead of the Presidential election. Next week, Clyde will be heading to the South.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2017, 03:16:56 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2017, 04:51:49 AM by IDS Delegate Ben Kenobi »

LOL
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp