Trump pushing up to 1,000 Democrats to run for Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:48:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Trump pushing up to 1,000 Democrats to run for Congress
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump pushing up to 1,000 Democrats to run for Congress  (Read 2139 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »
« edited: April 24, 2017, 10:03:10 AM by Gass3268 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source

Can't catch a wave without a surfboard.
Duke of York

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 12:58:40 PM »

Its truly fantastic to see so many people stepping up to run and once the primaries are over people need to unite around the nominee and not have the attitude of my candidate or bust.
Gog
Gog3451
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »

It seems like the Dems are contesting most districts. I wouldn't say all, because there's going to be a few where we won't (by horrible bench or other reasons) but it's looking pretty much all districts that look somewhat winnable are getting someone.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »

Its truly fantastic to see so many people stepping up to run and once the primaries are over people need to unite around the nominee and not have the attitude of my candidate or bust.

Now I'm just wondering how much this will affect the primaries themselves. Will we have crowded primaries in competitive districts that eat away at the frontrunner's resources? Will we have primary campaigns based on "progressive purity"? And so on.

I'm excited to see all this happening but at the same time I'd also like to avoid situations where overly-eager challengers with no real chance start focusing most of their fire inward in quixotic bids for Congress. I'm hoping that the DCCC can help steer more people towards state legislative races, and convince them to establish themselves/learn the ropes at the state level first.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »

Now I'm just wondering how much this will affect the primaries themselves. Will we have crowded primaries in competitive districts that eat away at the frontrunner's resources? Will we have primary campaigns based on "progressive purity"? And so on.

I'm excited to see all this happening but at the same time I'd also like to avoid situations where overly-eager challengers with no real chance start focusing most of their fire inward in quixotic bids for Congress. I'm hoping that the DCCC can help steer more people towards state legislative races, and convince them to establish themselves/learn the ropes at the state level first.

Yeah, that's why I think it's ridiculous for people to be showing this as some sort of "sign of strength". A lot of the people who have announced for Congress have never won elected office before and in a lot of cases don't even live in their districts. Smh. Do people really not realize the importance of building up ties in your district first? And there's a chance people "inspired to run by Trump" are the very kinds of extremists who are unaware of what it takes to win in a lot of these places.

So what?   This is exactly what happened in 2010 for Republicans.   There was a strong public backlash to Obama,  lots of former nobodies ran for the Republicans, and they won big.

Lots of the Republicans who won in 2010 never held political office before.   There's no reason to think the Democrats can't do the same thing.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »

I read the thread title and thought Trump was trying to encourage a bunch of his allies to run as Democrats.
Duke of York

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »

Yeah, that's why I think it's ridiculous for people to be showing this as some sort of "sign of strength". A lot of the people who have announced for Congress have never won elected office before and in a lot of cases don't even live in their districts. Smh. Do people really not realize the importance of building up ties in your district first? And there's a chance people "inspired to run by Trump" are the very kinds of extremists who are unaware of what it takes to win in a lot of these places.
Where do you get the assumption that those filing to run don't live in the district? Isn't that a requirement to run for the House?
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:46 AM »

Just because a candidate's totally new and out of left field doesn't mean they'd be a bad candidate.
Example 1: James Thompson
Example 2: Rob Quist
Example 3: Jon Ossoff

If anything, this would help us nominate real people instead of hacks.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 01:00:12 AM »

Where do you get the assumption that those filing to run don't live in the district? Isn't that a requirement to run for the House?

No.  The Constitution only requires that a prospective House member be an "Inhabitant of" the state he represents "when elected".  He or she need not live in the district he or she represents.  In theory, he or she doesn't even need to live in the state until election day.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 01:59:16 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2017, 02:02:43 AM by MarkD »

No.  The Constitution only requires that a prospective House member be an "Inhabitant of" the state he represents "when elected".  He or she need not live in the district he or she represents.  In theory, he or she doesn't even need to live in the state until election day.

True. Former Congressman Rod Blagojevich lived in Chicago, IL, but did not live in the congressional district that he was elected to represent (the 1996, 1998, and 2000 elections -- then he ran for Governor in 2002). Current congressman Bob Brady of Philadelphia, PA, did not live in the district he was elected from the first few times he was elected to the House (special mid-term election in 1998, then the general election so if 1998 and 2000), although when the state drew new district lines in 2001, at that point the legislature deliberately placed his home within the new boundaries of his district.

The constitutional interpretation which results in the "rule" that anyone who resides in this or that state can get elected to represent any district within the state, even though they do not live in the particular district they were going to represent, was rendered by the U.S. House itself over 200 years ago, in the early 19th Century. Maryland adopted a law that everyone who will represent their state in the U.S. House has to live in the congressional district that they were going to represent, but the House decided to ignore the state law and seat someone who did not meat that state's requirement. Simply put, the U.S. House decided the state law of Maryland was unconstitutional. The U.S. Supreme Court has upheld that interpretation as well.

On another note, I agree with a previous poster that the OP has a poorly-written headline. The fact that Democrats have been inspired to run for Congress because of their reaction to Trump's presidency is no reason to attribute a "push" to Trump himself.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 02:39:37 AM »

Just because a candidate's totally new and out of left field doesn't mean they'd be a bad candidate.

amen brother. Nominating hacks is what got us Ted Strickland 4 Senate 2016.
Ridge
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 06:27:42 AM »

The point could be argued that Republicans should be trying to invent an insurgency that appeals to young voters, as Trump did with his surge in that demographic. We should be nominating candidates really young--- 25, in some places--- if only to build for the future.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 06:59:13 AM »

Strickland can run for his old House seat in 2018.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 08:48:46 AM »

No.  The Constitution only requires that a prospective House member be an "Inhabitant of" the state he represents "when elected".  He or she need not live in the district he or she represents.  In theory, he or she doesn't even need to live in the state until election day.

In fact, there are a number of current Representatives who don't live in their district (some of which have shifted due to redistricting).  I think Florida has several.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »

The problem with Strickland wasn't that he was a hack; it's that he struggled to raise money, resorted to racebaiting, and most importantly may not have been all there anymore.  Of course, Sittenfield still would've done even worse.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »

Ohio Democrats are doomed without Sherrod Brown. Nina Turner can't save them either.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »

I read the thread title and thought Trump was trying to encourage a bunch of his allies to run as Democrats.

Same. Tongue
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »

Harry Enten is saying dems on generic ballot are doing better then they were at this point heading into 2006 or reps heading into 2010 & 2014 https://mobile.twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/856937894245748736
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies