Do you live in a bubble?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:00:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you live in a bubble?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you live in a bubble?  (Read 1326 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »

23. Logical, considering I'm a kid.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »

It's not as if working-class people are immune to living in a bubble though, and that's the assumption of this test. It's just that they tend to live in different bubbles.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »

This is a remarkably dumb quiz. I got 29 or something I think.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »

Some of these questions are very geared to the upper-middle class in NYC or LA.  Because, in Tennessee, for example, the upper-middle class is highly evangelical, so everyone either is one or knows one.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 04:00:18 PM »

41, whatever that means.  What a stupid quiz.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »

36, which feels about right.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2017, 04:42:13 PM by Senator Scott »

It's not as if working-class people are immune to living in a bubble though, and that's the assumption of this test. It's just that they tend to live in different bubbles.

I've said this elsewhere before, but every person lives in a bubble.  You are born into this world and your experiences help shape your biases.  Your typical truck driver from rural Oklahoma is no more worldly than the upper-middle class suburban kid from Whiteyville, New York.

In fact, arguably the most "bubbled" kind of people are folks like us who attempt to analyze the thought process of every voter after every election.  Most people simply do not care for or about politics, including people who vote, and this is especially true for countries like the US where average turnout is abysmal when compared to other developed nations.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 05:54:26 PM »

The question about lettering is just stupid.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since when?
Don't you know? The popular jocks were never elitists.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »

Have you ever lived for at least a year in an American neighborhood in which the majority of your 50 nearest neighbors did not have college degrees?

Yes (35? years)

Did you grow up in a family in which the chief breadwinner was not in a managerial position or a high-prestige profession (defined as attorney, physician, dentist, architect, engineer, scientist or college professor)?

Yes

Was the chief breadwinner for most or all of your childhood in what you consider to be a blue-collar job?

No (Although for part of that time my father worked a blue-collar job for New Jersey Bell).

Have you ever lived for at least a year in an American community with a population under 50,000 that is not part of a metropolitan area and is not where you went to college?

Yes

Have you ever lived for at least a year in the United States at a family income that was close to or below the poverty line?

Yes

Have you ever walked on a factory floor?

Yes---- Am currently working on a factory floor and have been walking factory floors as part of my jobs for pretty much 20 years in Oregon, California, and Texas.

Have you ever held a job that caused something to hurt at the end of the day?

Yes--- Current job included at the plant

Have you ever had a close friend who was an evangelical Christian?

Yes

Do you now have a close friend with whom you have strong and wide-ranging political disagreements?

Yes.

Do you have more than one such close friend?

Yes

Have you ever had a close friend who could seldom get better than Cs in high school even if he or she tried hard?

Yes

During the last month have you voluntarily hung out with people who were smoking cigarettes?

Yes--- I'm a smoker. I was actually kind of stupid in that I only became a regular smoker in my early '20s when I started working a full time job. Although the question might sound stupid, the reality is even for non-smokers hanging out in workplace smoking areas, you have a pretty wide blend of individuals from various backgrounds that tend to talk and interact in ways that are not necessarily as common within the rest of most work environments. The whole "smoker circle" and all that for the non-initiated maybe time to take a work break outside with someone you get along with at the workplace to mix up your breaks a little bit... Smiley

Do you know what military ranks are denoted by these five insignia? (Click each one to show the correct rank.)

Yes 1-4

Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is?

Yes--- Although I find NASCAR boring actually... would probably be more interesting to actually go to an event and drink a bunch of beer and just hang out, and then start to pay attention once they get down to the last round of laps where more of the drama starts to kick in.

Have you ever purchased Avon products?

No

Have you or your spouse ever bought a pickup truck?

No--- a couple of my son-in-laws have, but it doesn't really make sense to buy a pickup truck unless you're planning on hauling s**t on a regular basis, are a trades contractor, hunter, or live in an area where it helps during inclement weather conditions or navigating dirt or gravel windy mountain roads on a regular basis. These days so much of the pickup sales promotions create it as an image thing rather than a practical tool that is useful under certain conditions. Shoot, even when I was living on the outskirts of the Houston Metro area, I saw less pickups than in many parts of Oregon (Where it is more practical).

During the last year, have you ever purchased domestic mass-market beer to stock your own fridge?

Yes--- of course! I used to prefer a few Micros brands, but the cost adds up and now I'll just generally buy PBR or Busch by default unless I'm going out to the bar or buying a beer on tap in a restaurant.

During the last five years, have you or your spouse gone fishing?

No--- although there is some really good fishing around here, and I have a few friends that are way into it, including one who loves fly fishing, I never had that as part of my childhood experience, unlike my wife. Maybe some day...

How many times in the last year have you eaten at one of the following restaurant chains?

0... I was out of work for 7 months out of the past year, and now that I'm back working am enjoying cooking and home cooked meals, rather than spending money for mediocre food at chain restaurants. If we're going to go out to eat, I'd rather do it less often and go to a family owned joint anyways and spend a few extra bucks to get some better grub than those restaurants listed (Although I have certainly eaten at all of them over the past five years, excepting Waffle House, which not only doesn't exist in many parts of the country, but also every time we tried to go to one the wait list to be seated was 45 minutes to an hour!!!

In high school, did you letter in anything?

No--- I dropped out of High School when I was 16 and then went to college a few years later.

Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis Club, Rotary Club or union local?

Yes--- Many times in SW Ohio back in the '90s, including Union Holiday diners, as well as working to get a Union resolution passed at a District Council level

Have you ever participated in a parade not involving global warming, a war protest or gay rights?

Yes--- sure I've been to plenty of demonstrations and protests too, but also participated in some non-political civic parades.

Since leaving school, have you ever worn a uniform?

Yes

Did you do so as part of your job?

Yes

Have you ever done either of these for a trip of 50 miles or more?

Ridden on a long-distance bus (e.g., Greyhound, Trailways)- Yes (Have a few stories on that and once in awhile think it might to interesting to draft a movie script based upon a Grayhound Bus trip)
 hitchhiked- No--- not 50 Miles

Saying yes, to any of these, should make you less working class.

Which of the following movies have you seen (at a theater or on a DVD)?

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
 Jurassic World
 Furious 7
 Mockingjay Part 2
 The Martian
 Cinderella
 Spectre
 Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

During the 2014–15 television season, how many of the following series did you watch regularly?

None

Have you ever watched an episode of any of these shows all the way through?

None that I recall---- still my TV habits are maybe a bit more unusual

What does the word "Branson" mean to you?

I thought about that eccentric British dude that bought the Island.... I suspect that the "right" answer would be about a place in a fairly remote region of the "Midwest" that most people outside of a certain radius have never really heard of, unless there is a certain artist in town that rarely does public gigs elsewhere and closer to home.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 09:20:37 PM »

You got 38 points.

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.

0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

Yeah, I'm really not upper-middle class.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:23 PM »

This quiz seems to rest on the assumption that there are two categories of people in existence: absurdly stereotypical working-class rural white conservative Americans, and upper middle class white coastal liberal Americans.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »

You got 5 points.

0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

0–20: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person with the television and movie going habits of the upper middle class. Typical: 2.

But yeah, this quiz is ridiculous.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies