Opinion of Young Earth Creationism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:58:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of Young Earth Creationism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Pick the answer that comes closest to your view
I'm a Young Earth Creationist, so obviously positive

It has some good points, but it's probably not completely correct

I don't go around ridiculing the viewpoint, but I'm pretty firm in my view that it is incorrect

It is a dangerous viewpoint that we need to work to eradicate

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Opinion of Young Earth Creationism  (Read 5178 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »

Option 3
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »

It is a healthy alternative viewpoint to Darwinian evolution.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:08:42 PM »

Heresy.  Another part of The Great Apostasy.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:50:13 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2017, 06:53:42 PM by RI »

Do these people actually still exist? I've never met one in real life.

Heresy.  Another part of The Great Apostasy.

YEC in Christianity wasn't really a firm thing until long after the supposed "Great Apostasy."
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »

Option 3 and an unfortunate stain on Evangelicalism. 

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

@RI: As of May 2014 (there does not appear to be more recent polling here), 35% of Americans believe in Darwinian Evolution, 24% believe evolution was guided by a Supreme Being, 6% believe in evolution, but decline to say if it was guided or not, and 35% reject evolution entirely.

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2015/07/2015-07-01_science-and-politics_FINAL-1.pdf (Page 88)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »

@RI: As of May 2014 (there does not appear to be more recent polling here), 35% of Americans believe in Darwinian Evolution, 24% believe evolution was guided by a Supreme Being, 6% believe in evolution, but decline to say if it was guided or not, and 35% reject evolution entirely.

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2015/07/2015-07-01_science-and-politics_FINAL-1.pdf (Page 88)

That's a horribly worded question. It assumes "Darwinian" evolution is contrary to guidance by a Supreme Being, which Darwin himself disagreed with.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »

Obviously it's incorrect, but I think its poor reputation is undeserved.

The notion that YEC is harmful and ought to be eradicated is risible, particularly when one considers some of the ideas it's grouped in. Creationism is hardly as bad as racism or anti-vaccination, and several false ideas worse than it seem to get a pass.

Frankly, YEC is a sort of condensed symbol for a certain sort of low church, generally lower class Protestant. A lot of the criticism of it seems to be a pretext for chauvinism and classism against those people. And just so you don't think I'm secular-bashing, this seems to be just as much of a problem within the church as it is outside of it.

Do these people actually still exist? I've never met one in real life.

I know several, most notably my wife. Most of the ones I know keep pretty quiet about it outside of their Evangelical subculture, so it's not that surprising that you haven't met an open Young Earth Creationist, given your religion, location, education etc.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »

Option 3.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

I know several, most notably my wife. Most of the ones I know keep pretty quiet about it outside of their Evangelical subculture, so it's not that surprising that you haven't met an open Young Earth Creationist, given your religion, location, education etc.
The only people I talk about YEC to are atheists.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 10:16:23 PM »

can you stop trolling
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 11:16:38 PM »

Option 4, as it is one of the major driving forces behind global warming denial
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 07:35:27 AM »

Option 1. Though I'm open to theistic evolution/old earth creation. I absolutely reject Darwin because his theory denies a supernatural hand in creation.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »

It's true that I don't interact with many evangelicals on a daily basis. Plenty of Catholics, Mormons, atheists, Mainliners, and a few quiet Arminian types, but not many evangelicals.

can you stop trolling

When I was an atheist, I thought YEC was a big deal, so I spent a lot of mental energy fixating on it. It showed the "irrational, anti-science" mentality of theists, after all. Ironically, it's really an incredibly minor thing in Christianity which isn't accepted by the vast majority of notable churches; even most of the ones who do believe in it don't make that big of a deal out of it.

Option 4, as it is one of the major driving forces behind global warming denial

Anecdotal, of course, but I know a ton of conservative Catholics who believe in evolution but don't believe in (some major aspect of) global warming.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »

Option 1. Though I'm open to theistic evolution/old earth creation. I absolutely reject Darwin because his theory denies a supernatural hand in creation.

Not really...?  The evolution of living beings on Earth doesn't have anything to do with initial creation of time and space and *life*.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »

Option 3 and an unfortunate stain on Evangelicalism. 

I may be wrong, but didn't you believe in it once?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 02:21:01 PM »

Somewhere between 3 and 4. People are free to believe whatever they want, but I would like to eradicate it in the education system and among people with any power. Also I find it kind of sad because evolution is actually way more exciting (in addition to being true).
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2017, 03:41:09 PM by mathstatman »

My main issue with Young Earth Creationism is this: (1) people who believe in it (without a single exception I know of) are fundamentalist or evangelical Christians who believe you must accept Jesus as your personal savior (and by implication, the Bible as the Word of G-d) or else go to Hell, and who (2) believe G-d is omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving.

So, this G-d deliberately deceived his created beings by creating fossils, etc. in the earth to give it the appearance of being ancient.

If I may.... what a monster.

I chose option 3.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »

My main issue with Young Earth Creationism is this: (1) people who believe in it (without a single exception I know of) are fundamentalist or evangelical Christians who believe you must accept Jesus as your personal savior (and by implication, the Bible as the Word of G-d) or else go to Hell, and who (2) believe G-d is omnipotent, omniscient, and all-loving.

So, this G-d deliberately deceived his created beings by creating fossils, etc. in the earth to give it the appearance of being ancient.

I chose option 3.

That's an unusual take. All the YECers I know say they're a result of Noah's flood and what not.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »

Somewhere between 3 and 4. People are free to believe whatever they want, but I would like to eradicate it in the education system and among people with any power. Also I find it kind of sad because evolution is actually way more exciting (in addition to being true).

I will add though that "eradicate" is a creepily strong word in this case.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »

Somewhere between 3 and 4. People are free to believe whatever they want, but I would like to eradicate it in the education system and among people with any power.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »

I will add though that "eradicate" is a creepily strong word in this case.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »

The world was created the day I was born. Everything was created on that day, aged and with planted memories. Even the star light was placed at the right point to make everything seem eons old. I demand that schools teach the truth because I am really important.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »

I chose option 3.

That's an unusual take. All the YECers I know say they're a result of Noah's flood and what not.

True, but the interpretations that requires (such as the Cretacious and Triassic fossils being buried in a difference of a matter of months, as the premier creationist organization Answers in Genesis argues) would require rates of radioisotope decay to change so quickly during the Flood Period that were it not for supernatural intervention, the Earth would explode as a result of the extreme level of radiation. released over such a quick period of time.  

That's all correct, but I'm not discussing it with them in depth. All I was commenting on is that I've never heard the "God set this up to be a test of faith argument" among the actual creationists I know.

Science has always been a big passion of mine, so I'm sorry if I'm going into the weeds here. Tongue

No worries. It's never been my cup of tea,but we're posting on a politics forum so we should all understand why one might be obsessed with a topic Tongue
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »

The world was created the day I was born. Everything was created on that day, aged and with planted memories. Even the star light was placed at the right point to make everything seem eons old. I demand that schools teach the truth because I am really important.
Afleitch is correct. Actually, the world was created 20 minutes ago. Everything that seemed to happen before that was a collective implanted memory.

(Ridiculous, but no more so than the 6-10 ky timeline of YACs)
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies